how much clay will i need to sculpt a mask

panik33

hey guys
im thinking about starting a mask skulpt and i want to do a P1 mask so i was wondering how much clay i would need

also if anyone has any fiberglass resin and some foamies can tyhey do a little experiment for me to see wether it would react and burn up the foamys as i dont realy wana take the chance and just go cover my foamie armour if its gona just disintergrate

thanks guys

ron

i bought around 50 Lbs. then you need your oil based glay that goes on tp of the normal glay your using so the latex doesnt stick to the head.. bought $30 total

I think you'd really only need about 25 pounds of clay to do a decent-sized Predator mask sculpt. I don't remember how much clay it took for me to do my previous masks, because I kept going to Blick Art every time I needed more clay, and I bought it a few pounds at a time. I have a bucket of clay that I've used for masks, and I just keep reusing it every time I want to sculpt something new.

I wouldn't bother using regular air-dry clay in a sculpt. I'd just go with oil-based clay all the way. I used Klean Klay, since it was cheap and easily toolable, but you could also go with something like a plastalina clay. Van Aken sells a line of clay that you can get in art stores or at some craft stores.

I think you'd really only need about 25 pounds of clay to do a decent-sized Predator mask sculpt. I don't remember how much clay it took for me to do my previous masks, because I kept going to Blick Art every time I needed more clay, and I bought it a few pounds at a time. I have a bucket of clay that I've used for masks, and I just keep reusing it every time I want to sculpt something new.

I wouldn't bother using regular air-dry clay in a sculpt. I'd just go with oil-based clay all the way. I used Klean Klay, since it was cheap and easily toolable, but you could also go with something like a plastalina clay. Van Aken sells a line of clay that you can get in art stores or at some craft stores.

hey elkman yeah i wans thinking of getting the oil based klean clay it looks the best type to use
and i dont want it to dry out so i can make an endless ammount os sculpts with it

thanks again mate

25lbs is probably an absolutely minimum, I would budget for 35-40lbs, and you can buy extra if needed. Bear in mind even a bio sculpt uses about 15lbs. Klean klay is cheap, a little soft and difficult to smooth for my liking now that I've moved to chavant, but chavant is twice the price. The stuff you will find at hobby lobby or similar is twice the price again of the chavant though, so for a large project like this I would stay away from it. Even once you've figured in shipping, the store bought stuff is more expensive.

25lbs is probably an absolutely minimum, I would budget for 35-40lbs, and you can buy extra if needed. Bear in mind even a bio sculpt uses about 15lbs. Klean klay is cheap, a little soft and difficult to smooth for my liking now that I've moved to chavant, but chavant is twice the price. The stuff you will find at hobby lobby or similar is twice the price again of the chavant though, so for a large project like this I would stay away from it. Even once you've figured in shipping, the store bought stuff is more expensive.

thanks mate well i can get it from propbuilders for £25 for 10lbs for klean clay and im only dooing a half mask for now so i wont need much detail on it anyway

Hez is spot on.

Even a half mask still needs the bulk of the head, and remember you need to make it roughly 10/12% BIGGER than you want as latex shrinks.

I use roughly between 16-19 blocks of 2lb Chavant, this also depends how big the armature you are using is.

ya i only bought 50lbs, cause it was on sale and cheap at the time. plus i am also doing Hands, feet, and bio molds as well. so i will need more down the road. I jsut used normal grey Moldin clay you can get from any art store. normally they will sell it in buckets/Box. dont ever use crayola **** lol. once you make the basic form/structure of the head, you need to do the touch ups and detail with the oil based to insure the latex wont stick to you mold. when im done for the day working on it, you can do what i do, which is Cover it with a Dammp rag or towel then cover it with a plastic grocery bag. this will not make it harden over time.

ya i only bought 50lbs, cause it was on sale and cheap at the time. plus i am also doing Hands, feet, and bio molds as well. so i will need more down the road. I jsut used normal grey Moldin clay you can get from any art store. normally they will sell it in buckets/Box. dont ever use crayola **** lol. once you make the basic form/structure of the head, you need to do the touch ups and detail with the oil based to insure the latex wont stick to you mold. when im done for the day working on it, you can do what i do, which is Cover it with a Dammp rag or towel then cover it with a plastic grocery bag. this will not make it harden over time.

Alright mate thanks

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back