How long was Luke on Dagobah?

I think like 3 years had gone by between ESB and ROTJ.

I always thought it was about a year between ESB and ROTJ.

Chewie confirms that Luke is a Jedi to Han in Jabba's holding cell

Err... no offense... but how would Chewie "confirm" that Luke is a Jedi? Did Luke show Chewie his Jedi Knight Graduation Certificate first? (Just having a little fun here ;) )

Han says "A jedi Knight, I am out of it for a little while and everyone gets delusions of grandeur..."

And Han was 100% right in saying that. Luke is going around "telling" people he is a Jedi Knight now. There wasn't any actual ceremony "promoting" him to the rank of Jedi... Even Luke himself wasn't 100% sure he was a Jedi yet.

Honestly the only one left to tell him he truly was a Jedi was Yoda, and he croaked after ten minutes of Luke visiting him.

And to make matters worse... Yoda tells him he will be the last Jedi after Yoda dies, and to take on the duty of training more Jedi.

So Luke is now to be the one and only Jedi Instructor in the Universe...

After about a month of formal training. :wacko :lol

Kevin

Maybe Chewbacca just calls him Jedi because he's close enough at that point to a wookie, maybe that is the way his race perceives things, you act and behave like something that's what you are, no need for ceremony. Maybe Chewie just knew.

Obviously, it wasn't canon but I THINK I read something once that indicated a longer stay for Luke.
Somewhere on the order of six months with another six month gap (or thereabouts) between Empire and Jedi.
Still not very long though.

Maybe Chewbacca just calls him Jedi because he's close enough at that point to a wookie, maybe that is the way his race perceives things, you act and behave like something that's what you are, no need for ceremony. Maybe Chewie just knew.

I think it's more a case of nobody being around to truly know the difference.

In other words Yoda is the only real Jedi left (and he was on his death bed) and the only other two "qualified" to know if Luke was truly a Jedi were the badguys. ;)

Luke introduces himself to Jabba as a Jedi Knight, however like I said, even Luke isn't completely sure he is a Jedi yet at this point. He was a bit surprised when Yoda told him he required no more training.

My point is that Luke was "getting ahead of himself" a bit by going around telling everyone he is a Jedi. And how would anyone he told know whether he was right in calling himself one or not? They have no reason to doubt him because they have no idea what it means/requires to become one.

Kevin

And to add to this, Yoda replied that Luke did not require any more training, he had already learned everything he needed to become a Jedi.

It definitely wasn't a long time. Luke did kind of have a "head start" as he had already been practicing using the Force long before going to Dagobah.

Funny thing is, Luke is never really taught any swordplay... guess it comes naturally to Jedi. :lol

Kevin

Maybe Yoda was pissed at him for leaving before his training was done and was doing the cynical dad routine. "Yeah Kid, you know everything already, why don't you just go fight the big scary guy and see what happens. Now bugger off."

I would of been mad if I was Yoda as well. Here I am offering to teach this whiny brat the secrets of the universe and he won't listen and goes off to do his own thing even though I told him not to. Now here he comes a while later and says he ready to finish his training now. Too bad bucko, schools closed.

I think it's more a case of nobody being around to truly know the difference.

In other words Yoda is the only real Jedi left (and he was on his death bed) and the only other two "qualified" to know if Luke was truly a Jedi were the badguys. ;)

Luke introduces himself to Jabba as a Jedi Knight, however like I said, even Luke isn't completely sure he is a Jedi yet at this point. He was a bit surprised when Yoda told him he required no more training.

My point is that Luke was "getting ahead of himself" a bit by going around telling everyone he is a Jedi. And how would anyone he told know whether he was right in calling himself one or not? They have no reason to doubt him because they have no idea what it means/requires to become one.

Kevin

Maybe Luke didn't think he was just yet, but for practical purpose allowing everyone else to think he was was logical. Going into potential battle it was a good mind psych on Jabba and his goons, he was more then enough of a Jedi to handle them evidenced by the smoking ruins of the skiff.
So for himself, he knew there were still some things to do, for everyone else, Jedi works fine.

I think Jabba would have definitely known if Luke was a Jedi or not, which is why he snorted when Luke warned him "not to underestimate his powers". I seem to recall a line from Jabba to Luke in the novelization that went, "I was killing your kind when being a Jedi meant something." This line of dialogue implies that during the Jedi purge Jabba had captured Jedi brought before him and he disposed of them in horrible and entertaining ways. Which, frankly, is a frightening idea for the powerful Jedi Order to have been so ostracized that Knights could have been made sport of in this way.

Nobody knew what a padawan was in 1983, so the only choice of designation was "Jedi Knight". "Jedi squire" wouldn´t have been as impressive.

Chewie knew what a Jedi was better than Han because Chewie was older and had personal relationships with Jedi a long time before the Falcon ever took on as passengers a Tatooine farmboy and 'Crazy Old Wizard' from the Jundland Wastes.

And it was not just any Jedi that Chewie had a friendship with but the Grand Master of the Jedi Order:

"Good relations with the Wookies I have" - Yoda, ROTS

And one of those relationships was with Chewbacca as we see when Yoda leaves Kashyyk.

So I'd say Chewbacca was pretty well qualified to know a Jedi when he saw one.

As for the issue of timelines from Hoth to Bespin for Han, Chewie, Leia and the Droids and Hoth to Dagobah to Bespin for Luke lets remember that without FTL it wouldnt take just months or even years but possibly centuries or more...and though relativistic time dilation would allow the Falcon to get to Bespin while its passengers while they were still young the relativistic effects would only apply to those onboard...time would still pass normally to Luke so Luke should have arrived at Bespin long before the Falcon could arrive even if he'd spent months on Dagobah....unless for at least part of that time Chewie had managed to fix the Hyperdrive 'offscreen'.

Luke used his Emergency Fleet Pass to travel a great distance in a matter of seconds. After staring at the loading screen for a few seconds, he quickly arrived on Bespin via the fleet shuttle. By now, his Quick Travel ability was off cooldown, so once at the Bespin spaceport, he used the Quick Travel ability to instantly teleport to the Cloud City Cantina.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back