How far has George sold out???

You totally nailed it. :cool :thumbsup

But let's face it guys. He's lost his damn mind. As many of you know, he said the following words back in the 1989 (and he has become the very thing he was arguing against): "People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an exercise of power are barbarians, and if the laws of the United States continue to condone this behavior, history will surely classify us as a barbaric society."

You totally nailed it. :cool :thumbsup

But let's face it guys. He's lost his damn mind. As many of you know, he said the following words back in the 1989 (and he has become the very thing he was arguing against): "People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an exercise of power are barbarians, and if the laws of the United States continue to condone this behavior, history will surely classify us as a barbaric society."

Can't we please, PLEASE put this one to bed? It's been hashed and re-hashed ad-nauseum. His speech was about people coming in to alter an artist's work without the artist's consent, not about an artist altering their own works. Granted you might argue that he's not the only artist, but using this out of context quote has got to stop.

I love the ones that prattle on how GL thinks, acts or behaves, when they've never even set foot into a room with the man.

Therefore their only real experience HAS to be through rumor and the internet.

Really people, that's how you form an opinion about someone or something.

Very sad. It's this kind of nonsense that give Star Wars fans a bad name.

Can't we please, PLEASE put this one to bed? It's been hashed and re-hashed ad-nauseum. His speech was about people coming in to alter an artist's work without the artist's consent, not about an artist altering their own works. Granted you might argue that he's not the only artist, but using this out of context quote has got to stop.

No, it's hypocritical.

...and the voice of entitlement is an old tired song as well.

It's his movie not yours.

....and go write something BETTER than the PT, then come tell me what quality is.

Are the less edited movies still available to find :Yes
Are they in uber quality : No
Were you happy to watch those old vhs tapes on your old tv screen at the old times: Yes

You don't need uber quality to appreciate the old movies, You never even saw the movies when they was shown in the theaters in that uber quality you are wanting to see them in.

....and go write something BETTER than the PT, then come tell me what quality is.

I did, but the only people who saw it were the other folks who used that stall after me.

Han-Solo-trollface-troll-star%20wars-1300627027V.jpg

No, it's hypocritical.

"you keep husing that quote. I do not think it means hwhat you think it means."

No, it's not hypocritical. He was talking about companies coming in and colourizing old films without the input of the artist. You may not like it, as it doesn't support your argument, but "later generations shouldn't change artistic works" is a very different statement than "no one should be able to change an artistic work". And they're not mutually exclusive. He's saying we need to protect the artist and not allow corporate boardrooms to make artistic choices and alter existing work. It wasn't a statement about preserving the integrity of a cultural moment in time, it was about protecting the intentions of the artist.

I'm all for tearning apart the half-assed work on the SEs, the DVDs, and the BDs; for crying foul over the refusual so far to release the original versions; for the compulsion to change things that never needed to be changed in the first place. Blast away at the bizzare artistic choices and constant fidling, but this insistence that Lucas was the orignal SE basher with this speech needs to go. It's useless because it's misinformed.

I did, but the only people who saw it were the other folks who used that stall after me.

Han-Solo-trollface-troll-star%20wars-1300627027V.jpg

ZING! Goodnight everyone!

Equally irritating as the Lucas-speech arguement is the inevitable arrival into any spirited SW discussion of the guy who's only fallback is "YOU COULDN'T MAKE THE PT, SO, SO...YOU'RE A STUPID HEAD!".

I don't need to be able to out-direct Lucas to say his actors (ACADEMY AWARD WINNING ACTORS!) look lost and totally directionless in most scenes. I don't need to be a better screenwriter to say that TPM has stilted dialogue no human would ever say and suffers from a long string of jokes which absolutely fail to land on any level. It may be only my opinion, but outside of pre-school enforced niceness, my ability to produce a better film has no bearing on my ability to fairly say what I think about said film, nor should it.

...You don't need uber quality to appreciate the old movies, You never even saw the movies when they was shown in the theaters in that uber quality you are wanting to see them in.
Yes I did. 70mm big screen presentation was pretty uber.

ZING! Goodnight everyone!

Equally irritating as the Lucas-speech arguement is the inevitable arrival into any spirited SW discussion of the guy who's only fallback is "YOU COULDN'T MAKE THE PT, SO, SO...YOU'RE A STUPID HEAD!".

I don't need to be able to out-direct Lucas to say his actors (ACADEMY AWARD WINNING ACTORS!) look lost and totally directionless in most scenes. I don't need to be a better screenwriter to say that TPM has stilted dialogue no human would ever say and suffers from a long string of jokes which absolutely fail to land on any level. It may be only my opinion, but outside of pre-school enforced niceness, my ability to produce a better film has no bearing on my ability to fairly say what I think about said film, nor should it.

I usually abbreviate this by saying "I don't need to be a chef to know when my food tastes like ****." ;)

In seriousness, though, the "You can't do it better" thing is generally irrelevant.

But then again, so's hatin' on the PT. It is what it is. I mean, I can say it's lousy, but at this point, arguing about it might as well just be an installment of Even Stephven.

Plus, at this point, I just basically ignore them. They diminished my love for the franchise as a whole, but not for the original films. Nor has Uncle George's steadfast refusal to release a true archival copy really diminished my enjoyment of the originals, except insofar as I cannot get a reasonable copy of them anymore.

For those who don't get it, the "original" OT is functionally unavailable on home media in anything that anyone here would call a reasonably viewable form.

There is no hi-def version of the originals. At all. The DVD release from 2006 is ripped from a laserdisc, which has lower resolution than a standard DVD, let alone a blu-ray. What's more, it's non-anamorphic letterbox.

If you want to understand what that means in a practical sense, check out this website.

I have that original Laser Disk Definitive Collection set of the original Trilogy and it looks and sounds absolutely amazing. From what I can tell there are no modifications from the original film on these (I think they were remastered in there original form). The DVD's that I have seen made from this set are junk (have compression artifacts) compared to the actual Laser Disks. Wouldn't it be easier to just pick up this set and a cheap laser disk player rather than going on a Lucas hates the fans tirade once a month? I am just saying :lol:lol:lol.

Amazon.com: Star Wars Trilogy Widescreen Collector's Edition Laser Disc Set: Movies & TV

I am thinking it would be extra money and work to release the old versions and it might be a hard sell outside of the really hardcore fan base.

There is no hi-def version of the originals. At all.

Except of course, if you take out the added scenes from Star Wars and add up all the changed stuff it equals less than 3 minutes of a 121 minutes worth of movie.

You effectively HAVE 95% of the movie on Blu-ray.

How about you just blink every now and again at just the right moments. It would be a lot simpler that whining about it all the time.

i wish i still had my family's copies of the originals. when we moved back in 2003 almost all our movies (home movies included :'( ) where stolen. our copy of the OT on VHS was among those stolen. i might have to track down a copy for my childhood's stake. not because the blu-ray is different, more just because i grew up on the VHS's.

I have that original Laser Disk Definitive Collection set of the original Trilogy and it looks and sounds absolutely amazing. From what I can tell there are no modifications from the original film on these (I think they were remastered in there original form). The DVD's that I have seen made from this set are junk (have compression artifacts) compared to the actual Laser Disks. Wouldn't it be easier to just pick up this set and a cheap laser disk player rather than going on a Lucas hates the fans tirade once a month? I am just saying :lol:lol:lol.

Amazon.com: Star Wars Trilogy Widescreen Collector's Edition Laser Disc Set: Movies & TV

I am thinking it would be extra money and work to release the old versions and it might be a hard sell outside of the really hardcore fan base.

Yeah, right. I've got 200 $ to blow on basically getting hold of one movie and the means to watch it.

Except of course, if you take out the added scenes from Star Wars and add up all the changed stuff it equals less than 3 minutes of a 121 minutes worth of movie.

You effectively HAVE 95% of the movie on Blu-ray.

How about you just blink every now and again at just the right moments. It would be a lot simpler that whining about it all the time.

This won't wash.

Much more of the movie looks like pigswill than you make out. Even the sets and backgrounds (see Falcon in Bay 94) have been tweaked to the point that they look like a gooey digital painting. The Falcon in Bay 94 looks totally different to how it appears in the original - and far less believable.

Plus you're forgetting every single DS dogfight shot has been removed! So it's not just about closing your eyes for the crap stuff, is it? Ah...but I'm forgetting you have these shots backed up on your laser rips. But how do those who are not into ripping copyrighted material go about accessing these shots to enjoy them in their full glory?

Last edited:
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back