How do you use a router template?

blufive

Sr Member
I recently bought an Xshop and router because I purchased some router templates that will help me with my prop work.

I'm just not sure how to use the templates. It seems like you'd cut into the template as you're routing the pieces.

I've tried looking on the internet but the sites are geared towards selling books instead.

:confused

Any help you could provide would be appreciated.

I am not sure what type of template you have, but there are two methods: 1) the collar, as described above, and 2) The roller bearing bit. The roller-bearing rides against the template and does not cut it. The cutter cuts the wood to the exact shape of the template.

Originally posted by blufive@Feb 9 2006, 08:24 AM
I'm using a straight bit so a collar probably wouldn't work.  Would I need to change to another type of bit?
[snapback]1179801[/snapback]​

Yes like these.

http://www.rockler.com/CategoryView.cfm?Cat_ID=285

Some bearings are on the shaft side some are on the opposite side. It depends on if your pattern is on the top or bottom of your finished piece.

Before you use the pattern, put the pattern on your work piece and draw the outline. Then use a saw and trim your work piece within about 1/8" outside that line, then use the pattern cutting bit.

Mike Senna

Tip: you know that game people play, where they try to catch a ceiling fan blade with their fingers to stop it? Don't do that with a router.

Scott

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back