How do you stay cool in EVA Foam Armor Suits?

jzerot1437

Last year I built a full Samus Aran Varia Suit--it was my first full "from scratch" cosplay where I patterned everything out and constructed it all in my kitchen. While I was pleased with myself, the results were a bit...sweatier than I had presumed.

10649618_10100751563438037_1791620591719117497_n.jpg

This year I'm wrapping up work on a Grey Fox (from MGS) build, and would like to avoid the sweat if at all possible. I've been looking into Ice Vests--the kind racecar drivers and theme park mascots wear under their suits to keep them cool. Do you guys have any other suggestions to keep cool in the steamy foam? Any help would be much appreciated.

Have you tried tiny computer fans inside your mask? I've heard people have some success with those cooling bandannas. Drink plenty of water before, during and after. Gatorade is best (or make your own) Limit your time in costume to 2 hours, max, less if you are in a hot climate, then take a break and re-hydrate. If your pee is dark, you're in trouble!

-In-helmet fans are wonderful.
-If you think you are drinking too much water, you're doing it right. Keep drinking.
-Definitely take regular breaks to remove parts of your costume and let yourself breathe.

Other than that, there's really no easy solution. Foam does not breathe well, and unless your armor suit has several plate separations wear heat can escape (which Samus's really does not), sweat is probably just going to come with the costume.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back