How Do You Pad Your Vader Mask??

vaderfanforever

I am in the beggining stages of ripping out the old smelly padding of my DP CA helmet, and replacing it with something new. I was planning on using pluming insluation for the top part, and foam for the cheeks. I am also going to install probably 1 if not 2 CPU fans for a bit of cooling.

What I am looking from you guys, are ideas as to how to install the padding and what works best for you. If you could post some pics, that would be a great asset.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

VaderFanForever

..well, I know that Eli has seen this a couple of times and I've posted this pic here before....but for the benefit of DD and others looking for padding suggestions....

Here's what I did with one of the first Vader helmets that I got....

Originally posted by KevVader@Feb 13 2006, 02:55 PM
..well, I know that Eli has seen this a couple of times and I've posted this pic here before....but for the benefit of DD and others looking for padding suggestions....

Here's what I did with one of the first Vader helmets that I got....

[snapback]1183370[/snapback]​

Is that a DP Deluxe Kev?

I will post pics of my padding tomorrow.

No pics, but my DP CA is lined with the plumbing insulation like in the above pic ( except I used the plumbing insulation for my cheeks also, to improve air flow). Surprisingly, hot glue worked very well. The only problem that I have had is, the plumbing insulation does not "give" as much as you would think. It makes the top of my head hurt after a while. This was overcome with a piece of regular foam in-between the pieces of insulation to distribute the load. Worked like a charm.

Originally posted by tk5163@Feb 14 2006, 04:04 PM
No pics, but my DP CA is lined with the plumbing insulation like in the above pic ( except I used the plumbing insulation for my cheeks also, to improve air flow).  Surprisingly, hot glue worked very well.  The only problem that I have had is, the plumbing insulation does not "give" as much as you would think.  It makes the top of my head hurt after a while.  This was overcome with a piece of regular foam in-between the pieces of insulation to distribute the load.  Worked like a charm.
[snapback]1184086[/snapback]​

Does having the pluming on the cheeks really improve the airflow of the helmet?

And as for the top, it goes like this: insulation, foam, insulation, foam, insulation, foam?

VFF

Originally posted by Darth Domain@Feb 13 2006, 02:18 PM
Cheers for that Kev, what glue did you use to adhere the foam, was it hot glue or spray type adhesive?
[snapback]1183387[/snapback]​

I had used a spray adhesive...hot glue will melt the foam. You need strong stuff as the insulation is a bit stiff so it needs to adhere to the curve of the facemask....

You can pretty much use anything that is soft and has channels in it...pipe insulation is but one option. I have an old football helmet that I will use the padding from to pad my next trooping lid.....

Originally posted by KevVader+Feb 14 2006, 06:09 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KevVader @ Feb 14 2006, 06:09 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Darth Domain
@Feb 13 2006, 02:18 PM
Cheers for that Kev, what glue did you use to adhere the foam, was it hot glue or spray type adhesive?

I had used a spray adhesive...hot glue will melt the foam. You need strong stuff as the insulation is a bit stiff so it needs to adhere to the curve of the facemask....

You can pretty much use anything that is soft and has channels in it...pipe insulation is but one option. I have an old football helmet that I will use the padding from to pad my next trooping lid.....
[snapback]1184186[/snapback]​
[/b]

But Kev, you don't troop ;)

By the way, how is the ST armor coming? Perhaps you could post some pics?

VFF

Vader being an incredibly hot costume already, I am a big time sweater. I can't stand all that foam touching my cheeks b/c the sweat soaks into it and you get extreme trooper funk. The insulation on the cheeks is to help it not completely insulate my face, but only touch on certain points and let my face breathe a little.

As for the hot glue, yes it melted the insulation just a little, but it seemed to me, it helped it adapt to the helmet where it was melted. Sort of helped it form fit, you see. When the glue cooled down, it held very well.

For my DP CA, I used mouse pad, pading. Just ripped off the fabric from the top of the pad - used an exacto to cut and mirror the pieces. Hot glue gun and voila. Another Martha Stewart Miracle :p

p10100028ze.jpg

p10100082om.jpg

Originally posted by Durasteel Corporation@Feb 14 2006, 07:32 PM
Ackkk....HEAT. 

Go with history gents.  Quilt some cotton with a natural fiber....IT BREATHES

[snapback]1184606[/snapback]​

Now that is an interesting idea.

And my wife is a quilter. hmmm.

Originally posted by vaderfanforever+Feb 14 2006, 04:18 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vaderfanforever @ Feb 14 2006, 04:18 PM)</div>
Originally posted by KevVader@Feb 14 2006, 06:09 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Darth Domain
@Feb 13 2006, 02:18 PM

[snapback]1184186[/snapback]​

But Kev, you don't troop ;)

By the way, how is the ST armor coming? Perhaps you could post some pics?

VFF
[snapback]1184345[/snapback]​
[/b]

Yeah...perhaps wearing it once or twice a year doesn't qualify as trooping.... :$

Trooper armor is coming along.....a lot of bits of ABS on my floor....helluva lot of trimming/sanding to do....I'll post some pix soon....

Sorry for the delay in posting pics.

Here is the padding in my fiberglass lid. I also have the same padding in my Rubies trooping helmet. It is ultra comfortable. Thanks to wackychimp for hosting:

DSCF4224.JPG

All it is is 1/2" foam covered in suede using fabric spray adhesive. Cheap and comfortable.

Blue velvet ??? Is Vader mate, not the Village People :D:D:D (just kidding).

I will do mine soon, and I will post pics here as well.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back