How Do You Pad Your Vader Mask??

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by vaderfanforever, Feb 13, 2006.

1. vaderfanforever

vaderfanforever Active Member

I am in the beggining stages of ripping out the old smelly padding of my DP CA helmet, and replacing it with something new. I was planning on using pluming insluation for the top part, and foam for the cheeks. I am also going to install probably 1 if not 2 CPU fans for a bit of cooling.

What I am looking from you guys, are ideas as to how to install the padding and what works best for you. If you could post some pics, that would be a great asset.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

VaderFanForever

2. Darth Domain

Darth Domain Well-Known Member

i'll join ya on this one mate, i'm doing my rubies and need some help with this

3. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

..well, I know that Eli has seen this a couple of times and I've posted this pic here before....but for the benefit of DD and others looking for padding suggestions....

Here's what I did with one of the first Vader helmets that I got....

[​IMG]

4. Darth Domain

Darth Domain Well-Known Member

Cheers for that Kev, what glue did you use to adhere the foam, was it hot glue or spray type adhesive?

5. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

Is that a DP Deluxe Kev?

I will post pics of my padding tomorrow.

6. tk5163

tk5163 New Member

No pics, but my DP CA is lined with the plumbing insulation like in the above pic ( except I used the plumbing insulation for my cheeks also, to improve air flow). Surprisingly, hot glue worked very well. The only problem that I have had is, the plumbing insulation does not "give" as much as you would think. It makes the top of my head hurt after a while. This was overcome with a piece of regular foam in-between the pieces of insulation to distribute the load. Worked like a charm.

7. vaderfanforever

Does having the pluming on the cheeks really improve the airflow of the helmet?

And as for the top, it goes like this: insulation, foam, insulation, foam, insulation, foam?

VFF

8. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

I had used a spray adhesive...hot glue will melt the foam. You need strong stuff as the insulation is a bit stiff so it needs to adhere to the curve of the facemask....

You can pretty much use anything that is soft and has channels in it...pipe insulation is but one option. I have an old football helmet that I will use the padding from to pad my next trooping lid.....

9. vaderfanforever

But Kev, you don't troop ;)

By the way, how is the ST armor coming? Perhaps you could post some pics?

VFF

10. tk5163

tk5163 New Member

Vader being an incredibly hot costume already, I am a big time sweater. I can't stand all that foam touching my cheeks b/c the sweat soaks into it and you get extreme trooper funk. The insulation on the cheeks is to help it not completely insulate my face, but only touch on certain points and let my face breathe a little.

As for the hot glue, yes it melted the insulation just a little, but it seemed to me, it helped it adapt to the helmet where it was melted. Sort of helped it form fit, you see. When the glue cooled down, it held very well.

11. Darth Detroit

Darth Detroit Sr Member

This is how I did mine, I plan on redoing mine this summer .

12. anakin

anakin Well-Known Member

For my DP CA, I used mouse pad, pading. Just ripped off the fabric from the top of the pad - used an exacto to cut and mirror the pieces. Hot glue gun and voila. Another Martha Stewart Miracle :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Durasteel Corporation

Durasteel Corporation Well-Known Member

Ackkk....HEAT.

Go with history gents. Quilt some cotton with a natural fiber....IT BREATHES

[​IMG]

14. SHalamar

SHalamar Well-Known Member

Now that is an interesting idea.

And my wife is a quilter. hmmm.

15. Durasteel Corporation

10,000 years of human history is bound to be full of them ;)

16. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

Yeah...perhaps wearing it once or twice a year doesn't qualify as trooping.... :$

Trooper armor is coming along.....a lot of bits of ABS on my floor....helluva lot of trimming/sanding to do....I'll post some pix soon....

17. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

Sorry for the delay in posting pics.

Here is the padding in my fiberglass lid. I also have the same padding in my Rubies trooping helmet. It is ultra comfortable. Thanks to wackychimp for hosting:

[​IMG]

All it is is 1/2" foam covered in suede using fabric spray adhesive. Cheap and comfortable.

18. Durasteel Corporation

Shoulda done blue velvet man. ;)

19. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

Oh well, maybe next time. :p

20. Benkenove

Benkenove Well-Known Member

Blue velvet ??? Is Vader mate, not the Village People :D:D:D (just kidding).

I will do mine soon, and I will post pics here as well.

21. Durasteel Corporation

I was referencing the David Lynch film. ;)