How Do You Make Glow Latex?

CustardBug

Pretty simple question, does anyone know how to tint latex to make it glow? I want that yellowish look of those vintage don post masks for a skull I sculpted. I was hoping monster makers had an additive you could just buy but I can't find anything expect glowing acrylic paint at the craft store.

There is both a powder and liquid pigment for glow in the dark. The issue youll run into is getting an even streak free finish for the glow effect as youre going ro hand mix and apply everything. Friends Beauty Supply in Burbank should have both powder and liquid but the price will be at a premium. Im not certain of your location but the same materials can be found on ebay and amazon.

Yeah, thought the same!
there are very cheap packages of powder available online, but i guess they‘re mostly ‚free shipping from Hongkong‘ quality...
Maybe nail paint additives could work too,
they should be cheap available at every drug store and may deliver the same finish like the premium latex additives do?!

There is both a powder and liquid pigment for glow in the dark. The issue youll run into is getting an even streak free finish for the glow effect as youre going ro hand mix and apply everything. Friends Beauty Supply in Burbank should have both powder and liquid but the price will be at a premium. Im not certain of your location but the same materials can be found on ebay and amazon.

Hmm I never thought of the streaking issue. Maybe I'll just paint it on with my airbrush.

It may be worth noting, Don Post only added glow pigment directly into the material for one year, 1977. After that, they switched back to painting it on. They were using a vinyl material though, significantly more translucent than latex.

If you want to replicate the look, a light straw yellow base coat with a glow powder infused clear on top should look the part. Liquitex, V-Gloss, Flex Gloss, etc, all should work.

Other option is mix the powder with pros aide. Is a make up Fx glue(water solvent) is very resitant and durable. And completely clear when dry.
Use to be sticky when dry and you need to powder it with Talcum. Maybe you can powder it with the glow pigment too

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back