How do you know one clone from the next?

combatser

Need a little bit of help here. How are you guys able to tell one clone from the next. I read about the 501st, Spec-Ops, Commanders,.... some have yellow, blue, red, all white, different guns, different helmets... etc, etc.. I love the clones... but I am pulling my hair out trying to figure out the difference. lol

Is there a website with some pics, or a way to determine all the diiferent types of units or styles the clones were?

Sorry, can't help you out - they're a mystery to me as well, but I'm not really into the Prequels as much as the OT :unsure

IMO the only reason that the clones came in different colour variations is so Lucasfilm's licensee's could sell more action figures etc.
I'm sure MR are offerring clone helmets in all the different colours, and it would be very costly for 'completist' collectors to buy one of each type :eek

Give me plain 'ole white any day of the week... Stormtroopers were all-white and they were BADASS. :D

Cheers,
John

Originally posted by combatser@Jan 11 2006, 09:30 AM
Need a little bit of help here.  How are you guys able to tell one clone from the next.  I read about the 501st, Spec-Ops, Commanders,.... some have yellow, blue, red, all white, different guns, different helmets... etc, etc.
[snapback]1156037[/snapback]​

According to The Star Wars Databank
"In the first units, color-coded flashes on the armor denoted rank, with green troopers being sergeants, blue being lieutenants, red being captains, and yellow being commanders.
The clones designated for command duty were specifically trained in that capacity. By the end of the war, color-designation came to signify not rank, but individual units, who often became more customized with mission specific gear and armor modifications. Units such as the Galactic Marines, the Shock Troopers, the Attack Battalion and the Star Corps had distinct armor variations that made them stand out."

In AOTC color denoted rank as Zaphod posted above.
In ROTS, clones painted their armor to their liking and to match their environment.

Blue - The 501st/Special Ops troops that march on the temple.
Yellow - Star Corps/Commander Bly's troops on Felucia with Aayla Secura
Orange - 212th Attack Battalion/Commander Cody's troops
Red - Shocktroopers, the Emperor's personal guards. They are red with red stripes along the helmet.
Galactic Marines - they are the burgundy snowtroopers with Commander Bacara that kill Ki-Adi Mundi
Commander Gree - the camouflaged commander that attacks Yoda on Kashyyyk
BARC Troopers - the Scout like troopers on Kashyyyk
"Beehive" troopers - are apparently paratroopers

I think the different colors and different variations is what makes the clones so appealling. It's like each unit and design has its own personality.

The Shocktroopers (Red) are also in charge of Coruscant Security.

There are also grey clones, those can be seen when Yoda and Tarfull meet on Coruscant to leave for Kashyyyk.

And yet, strangely, all stormtroopers are white, snowtroopers are white, biker scouts are white...

Yes, just another way to sell toys.

The one thing thats more improtant then the fan's or the story to Lucas the all mighty dollor
"May the Money... i mean force be with you"

I like that the clonetroopers are "human" and different, while the stormtroopers are uniform and soulless. Also, what idiot runs through a forest in a glossy white suit? Commander Gree is clearly smarter than the troops who followed.

The only one I can't figure out are the Galactic Marines (red snow? Should be all white) and the "paratroopers." Seriously, parachutes? In Star Wars?

I kind of thought SW figures were dying a slow death. Does anyone buy all the clones? And really, how many people bought tons of white troopers back in the day? I mean, you can't have just one, no matter what color they are.

Originally posted by cayman shen@Jan 12 2006, 11:53 AM
I like that the clonetroopers are "human" and different, while the stormtroopers are uniform and soulless.  Also, what idiot runs through a forest in a glossy white suit?  Commander Gree is clearly smarter than the troops who followed.

The only one I can't figure out are the Galactic Marines (red snow?  Should be all white) and the "paratroopers."  Seriously, parachutes?  In Star Wars?

I kind of thought SW figures were dying a slow death.  Does anyone buy all the clones?  And really, how many people bought tons of white troopers back in the day?  I mean, you can't have just one, no matter what color they are.
[snapback]1157092[/snapback]​

I love the variety of the clonetroopers. They're similar enough that with some minor modifications you can drastically change your look. Very cool. And yes, I had 12 Stormtroopers back in the day, and my 5 year old son has 23 Clonetroopers: Bacara, Gree, Bly, the Target ShadowTrooper, the Red Commander, The AT-RT driver, the Clone Pilot, a generic Grey Trooper (I don't know where that one came from), a Star Corp trooper (from the Evolutions set), the yellow Ep 2 Commander (from the Evolutions set), two sets of the three non-poseable white clones, and several of the white clones that the helmets come off and have the human head underneath. I think I'm leaving one or two out, but I remember counting 23 new troopers, and I'm not counting his Sandtrooper, the PotF Stormtrooper or his OT Stormtrooper. The kid loves the clones. :)

Here's a wikipedia entry on the Clonetrooper Legions:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_...trooper_legions

/B

Originally posted by Talisen+Jan 11 2006, 07:32 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Talisen @ Jan 11 2006, 07:32 PM)</div>
And yet, strangely, all stormtroopers are white, snowtroopers are white, biker scouts are white...

Yes, just another way to sell toys.
[snapback]1156746[/snapback]​
[/b]

Load of crap.

<!--QuoteBegin-GundamZeppelin
@Jan 12 2006, 12:12 AM
The one thing  thats more improtant then the fan's or the story to Lucas the all mighty dollor
"May the Money... i mean force be with you"
[snapback]1156866[/snapback]​

:rolleyes

I really get sick of these kinds of comments. These baseless accusations need to stop(if he is greedy, why has he not released the O-OT on DVD? Surely he would make another couple hundred million from that). The clonetroopers are cooler looking and more skilled than the stormtroopers ever were. The stormtroopers were stupid (glossy white in the middle of a forest?) and couldn't hit the side of a barn. I'm surprised frankly that so many people come to the defense of the OT's incompetent stormtroopers but when their cooler predecessors have more variations it's only because Lucas is trying to sell more action figures. Buuuuuuulcrap.

Originally posted by foxbatkllr@Jan 12 2006, 04:14 PM

I really get sick of these kinds of comments.  These baseless accusations need to stop(if he is greedy, why has he not released the O-OT on DVD? Surely he would make another couple hundred million from that).  The clonetroopers are cooler looking and more skilled than the stormtroopers ever were.  The stormtroopers were stupid (glossy white in the middle of a forest?) and couldn't hit the side of a barn.  I'm surprised frankly that so many people come to the defense of the OT's incompetent stormtroopers but when their cooler predecessors have more variations it's only because Lucas is trying to sell more action figures.  Buuuuuuulcrap.

Lucas can't see the forest for the trees. Yeah he has money and a company, and one of that companies goal is to make money. Releasing the OT DVD set again, making video games and selling 25 variations to clonetroopers are all part of that goal.

As to whether the trooper could hit the broadside of a barn and all that stuff about "cooler predecessors" - I'll leave that childish debate for the kids on Fanforce.

Originally posted by Talisen+Jan 12 2006, 01:37 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Talisen @ Jan 12 2006, 01:37 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-foxbatkllr
@Jan 12 2006, 04:14 PM

I really get sick of these kinds of comments.  These baseless accusations need to stop(if he is greedy, why has he not released the O-OT on DVD? Surely he would make another couple hundred million from that).  The clonetroopers are cooler looking and more skilled than the stormtroopers ever were.  The stormtroopers were stupid (glossy white in the middle of a forest?) and couldn't hit the side of a barn.  I'm surprised frankly that so many people come to the defense of the OT's incompetent stormtroopers but when their cooler predecessors have more variations it's only because Lucas is trying to sell more action figures.  Buuuuuuulcrap.

Lucas can't see the forest for the trees. Yeah he has money and a company, and one of that companies goal is to make money. Releasing the OT DVD set again, making video games and selling 25 variations to clonetroopers are all part of that goal.

As to whether the trooper could hit the broadside of a barn and all that stuff about "cooler predecessors" - I'll leave that childish debate for the kids on Fanforce.
[snapback]1157298[/snapback]​
[/b]

Condescending much?

I don't doubt that Lucas wants to make money but to suggest that the reason for the clonetrooper variations is just to sell figures is absurd and baseless. I'm sorry you feel Lucas raped your childhood but that doesn't give you the right to piss in everyone else's wheaties just because they enjoy what he has created.

Originally posted by foxbatkllr@Jan 12 2006, 04:45 PM

Condescending much?

I don't doubt that Lucas wants to make money but to suggest that the reason for the clonetrooper variations is just to sell figures is absurd and baseless.  I'm sorry you feel Lucas raped your childhood but that doesn't give you the right to piss in everyone else's wheaties just because they enjoy what he has created.
[snapback]1157305[/snapback]​

Yeah, it probably come across as condescending, but then I do recognize the fact that you're getting your back up over movies. The Prequels would have done just as well if we only saw white clones. Lucas didn't rape my childhood, but he's doing his best to destroy my memory of it.

Seen a video somewhere (videojournal maybe) that had Lucas say something like "gives the toymakers something to deal with" which would just confirm my beliefs.

If you can give a "Lucas Approved" reasonable explanation for why the clones have marking and yet everyone 25 years late do not, then I might accept it. Otherwise, I will stay with what my wallet and toy collecting friends consider just another way to make a buck.

If you can give a "Lucas Approved" reasonable explanation for why the clones have marking and yet everyone 25 years late do not, then I might accept it. Otherwise, I will stay with what my wallet and toy collecting friends consider just another way to make a buck.

Our military today uses different markings within each branch of service to denote different specialties. Once the republic went into full scale battle it would have made sense to have the different battalions differentiate each other to promote espirit de corps. Lucas is quoted in the making of book as stating that the republic has been at war for a while, and the clones have started to personalize their armor. He said he could imagine a clone with the phrase "FORCE THIS" on his armor.

It really isn't a mass conformity vs a cool specialization of forces debate. I do like the variety and the stratification of ARCs, RCs, Paratroopers, etc., I admit, but in the context - the excesses of the Republic, with some backround manipulation, and the fictional greed of the special interests helped the downfall of the Republic. As the reluctantly established GAR was stood up, it made berfect sense that grey shouldered TCs camo'ed up there armor for Wookie planets, etc. If George had a bigger budget and the current technologies I bet there would be more epic battles, more color (literally), and a variety. As it was good juxtaposition to do the prequel trilogy after the OT starkness by necessity was complete. Can you imagine Corsucant in the OT, it would be like THX-1138.

That said a little creativity and the interesting transitional "morphing" between the Ep II vision and the OT makes EpIII extra interesting, and to certain individuals (like me) ... fun.

the most important thing to me about it is this: go to a convention and look at all the stormtroopers. some are better made, some are from better makers, some are irty, some arnet.

This isnt the case with clones, and i think in the future we're gonna see some really badass clones with all kinds of awesome paintjobs.

Yeah i guess when they where making ROTJ it just cost way to much to throw a new coat of paint on some of the troopers,maybe then they would have beat the cute little ewoks. Becuase lucas was was broke after the frist 2 films and from indain jones he was living in a box and doing it for the love of flims and the story.
And if the whole star wars thing is not about money why in the hell do all the fan flims have to be free and the makers can't make back a dime of the money they put in to it???? if your a billionare why in the hell do you care if a guy makes a few bucks off of making props because god knows all you make back when it's all said and done is a few bucks.
And as far as the clones go they are cool don't get me worng but i don't see them as more human then strom troopers, For the fact they where all C.G.I.... i did not like that one bit. it wouldn't have hurt to have some people in that armor it gives somthing to the flim that is missed with C.G.I. hell damn near all of EPIII was C.G from what it seems to me I.M.O it was all on saving cash. In the long run it must cost way more to make all thoese sets, pay for a crew, play for extras, put for stand ins, people in trooper costumes, insureance if anyone is hurt on the shoot, food for everyone,trailers for the actors till there called on set,Costume makers for more then what where like just 20 people in the flim to make costumes for, lighting teams the list go's on i used to do camra work as well as editing for Indy flims. it seems to me all of the new flims EPI-EPIII where money driven. (because god knows you need a star wars pen) Hell the actor that played anakin was horrible. The best part of EPIII was the clones and the ending fight since, and even then after getting his legs and arm hacked off and burning to death his acting was not beleiveible.... i set my hand on fire bymistake and i was screaming like hell i could not fathom the pain i would be in it i was covered in flames. But i am falling off topic the point i am trying to get across is, don't pretend Lucas is this super nice guy that he passes him self off as hell maybe he is as nice as he seems as long as your not making a buck of starwars, he is in a buisness, what is your job in a buisnesss to make money.. End of story, and if you had countless fans that would buy anything you put out would it stop you from putting out as much junk as you can or want to??? If lucas said tomorrow there where gold troopers you can beat your sweet ass there will be storys about them on Starwars.com and a new toy line. M.R is the only company that gives you your moneys worth when you buy starwars stuff from them. Everything else massprodused 90% of it is crap, but it still sells out to the insane fandom. ANH great flim ESB WONDERFUL... ROTJ i didnt like much at all. ALL the new star wars flims all about the money beleive me when i say this if starwars didn;t make the money it did lucas would have can'ed the whole thing and acted like it didn't happen much like that ewok or star wars christmas show that was on tv, that i have only seen a clip of on VH1's when starwars ruled the world where you find out that carrie fisher and a few other actors in the film don't own the rights to there own likeness lucas dose... if that is not money driven then i don't know what the hell is... You know what if that is not money driven then i got a real hot tip gas prices are going to go back to normal really soon, and the poor will get a great tax break just like the rich :angry
be pissed off at me if you like but facts are facts and i am sorry for such a long drawn out post RPF bored
thank you.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back