How do you guys replicate a weld bead on a resin prop replica?

TFrosst

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Just want to hear different options for sculpting a weld bead in a relatively efficient manor. Looking for a TIG style bead. I know how to replicate these pretty well on scale models but I'm having some issues making it look realstic fullscale.

Hot glue or regular glue, beaded up then painted over. Caulking could work as well but it needs to be a caulking that hardens solid and not bendable.

On some of my Ghostbusters stuff I got an epoxy putty and made small beads with it. Mashed the beads into the seams and overlapped them half way. Knocked it down a bit with some sandpaper and it looked great!

Just want to hear different options for sculpting a weld bead in a relatively efficient manor. Looking for a TIG style bead. I know how to replicate these pretty well on scale models but I'm having some issues making it look realstic fullscale.

You could try Milliput

I agree with the two above. Milliput or another epoxy clay works really well. It has some working time and can be reshaped as it hardens unlike hot glue.

Any liquid super glue and the kicker can create what looks like a weld on plastic.
On any other day, it would be considered a really messy glue seam.

I like using MagicSculp, which is an epoxy clay. I roll it to forma thin snake/worm, and lay that where I want the weld bead to be. Then I'll sand a tongue depressor to form a kind of curved chisel shape, which I use to press in to the snake to shape the waves in the weld. You can use water to smooth it. MagicSculp gives you about 1-1/2 to 2 hours to work with it, as it gradually gets firmer and eventually hard.

When I was a kid i rode BMX.
It wasn't uncommon to go to the bike shop looking for good used bikes.
One day i went with a friend to check out a Hutch Trickstar. My friend told me that i should buy it and with pressure from the sales associate, i said hold on. I reached in my pocket and pulled out a pin, the pin test. The bike failed the test. Yes yes what the hell does this have to do with anything.
Second hand shops would try to sell cracked frames by smoothing them out, then filling with crazy glue and with some creative dremeling BAM good as new. CRAZY GLUE my friend...

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back