How do you dilute paints for airbrushing?

Scrapps

I am a newbie with airbrushing but I have been working with acrylics and the monster maker's latex paint base for handpainting. I still have quite a bit of latex paint base left and I would prefer not to have to go out and buy special airbrush paints if I don't have to. It looks a bit thick to put through the airbrush without clogging and I don't want to just up the ratio of latex paint base-to-paint without knowing what it'll do and I'm not sure if just water would do the trick or not. How do you dilute it enough to put through the airbrush and what consistancy is "safe" for most airbrushes?

Also, I've been noticing that when I handpainted the skin, especially around finger joints, I got a bit of cracking/flaking of the paint job when it was used. I didn't use a sealer. Any tips on how to avoid or minimize this? Perhaps, someone could recommend a proper way to seal it?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

~Scrapps.

I'm also interested in reading an answer for this, since I'd also be interested in using latex paint with my airbrush and I don't know how to do ir without breaking it. I hope someone replies to this.

always use latex rubber paint whenever possible. A badger 250 glaze airbrush is perfect for this.(about 35.00 bucks delivered)Unfortunately you dont want to use an airbrush with a needle to spray latex rubber paints.Base coat and large areas with the badger 250 and latex rubber paints. For details i would recomend faskolor paints(used for RC car bodies) or createx fabric paints. Both are 100% ready to use in an airbrush right out of the bottle.Both are flexible when dry. The createx should be heat set(blow dryer) and then sealed with Permawet(monster makers)Thinned with alittle distilled water, and arpayed with the badger 250 glaze brush. Slightly thinned permawet will give you exactly what the name suggests , a permanent wet look.The more distilled water you cut it with the flatter look you will get. I like the flat look so i add some flat airbrush medium to my permawet and then thin it with distilled water so it flows better. Seals everything up great.The faskolor i also seal in the same manner. Any paint that isn't advertised as drying flexible i wouldn't use.Hope this helps.

Thank you very much! It's very useful!

Now I only have to find latex rubber paint and all those things you say. They don't sell that stuff here on Spain (not where I live, at least)

now suicidal, a buddy of mine said that the more water you add to the perma wet the shinier it will be? is that what you're saying or the opposite? he said he knows it sounds weird but it's true, not trying to start arguing wit cha, just wondering what your reply to that would be.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back