how do you cast a large object? - NOW WITH PIC

TylerHam

Hi All

I just got a screen used SHRIEKER head from Tremors 2/ Tremors TV series -

It's 4 parts and I thought it would be awesome to make a replica by casting it - Im sure there is another Tremors fan out there what would appreciate this)

Is plaster the best way?

Here is a picture (not my copy) to get an idea of what Im talking about:

p8-l.jpg

Last edited:
Re: how do you cast a large object?

there are a couple of methods, but basically a cased silicone mold (unless the item is also made of silicone) wil be the solution. You would need to do a clay buildup, covered in plaster or fiberglass (for the case) do it in sections, then remove the clay & pour the rubber, repeating the steps for each section. I would not suggest this if this is your first attempt at making a mold, you could easily ruin the original item. I've done a few large molds with my dad, and they take a lot of time & skill.

Nice score! Would love to see pics. As for moulding, listen to Ian, he gave very good advice. If you still want to do it, read some of the online tutorials and get some experience with other items, first off.

It depends on the piece in my opinion. There are some different ways you can go but it depends on what you have and how many pieces it's in. If theres a lot of detail to capture then maybe brushing on silicone and then an ultracal, spelling, shell could be best especially if it's a big piece since silicone is expensive. Are you looking to do it yourself or have someone else mold it?

Nice score! Would love to see pics. As for moulding, listen to Ian, he gave very good advice. If you still want to do it, read some of the online tutorials and get some experience with other items, first off.

Thanks Nwerke !

I am not an expert, but my father is - he trained ILM's chief moldmaker and consulted for them as well. He also teaches moldmaking, classes are held in the SF bay area.

Pics would definitly help -

You call someone like Steve Neil to mold it for you....
Steve just posted a new video about molding the Enterprise you might find interesting.
Iceman has a great idea too....classes would not hurt at all.
Mobius

Find someone that is experienced and has done it before and have them do it for you, or two find someone experienced that will instruct you and help you do it first hand and by your side... That is unless you have a tree full of $1000s you can pluck at will, and won't be bothered if you destroy or damage the original...

Honest, it's a HUGE project with a bunch of little details that need to be addressed and worked out before you even purchase any supplies, and it will cost a small fortune in supplies just to get the mold started...

Last edited:

What's it made of? The general rule of thumb for casting is: If the source is rigid, then use a soft (silicone or latex) casting material. If it's a soft piece--use rigid material like plaster. You're not talking about recasting are you???

Wow, that beast looks incredibly complex to cast. Hats off to you for wanting to do it :cool

..... You're not talking about recasting are you???

No, he's not.

This is an original screen-used item.

Casting a screen-used item and selling it is totally OK.

If someone were to buy one of those casts, recast it, and sell it, that's the big no-no, hence the term recasting.

One will be a second generation pull and the other a third generation- both are still recast from the original source!

I would love to see little baby Graboids become available, if possible, but I would hate to see the OP damage his interesting piece in the attempt. Please can we focus on that? Please let us not derail. I do not see any need or reason to turn this thread into something nasty.

That is, provided the OP is telling the truth. TYLERH - could we see pics, please?

It is unfortunate, but posting that you have something nice and then not showing actual photographs of it does inevitably lead members to suspect the worst.

Sorry! I have been away from a computer for a few days and have just had an iPhone to check the forum. I'll post more pics soon!!!

Oh hell yes. I see this as an easy way for me to make a Shrieker version of that badass Grabboid wall mount Bert has in his basement.

Does it come apart? If it does, I don't see any reason why it can't be done with a little practice and some silicone.

Otherwise, it's time to call a pro.

Oh hell yes. I see this as an easy way for me to make a Shrieker version of that badass Grabboid wall mount Bert has in his basement.

Does it come apart? If it does, I don't see any reason why it can't be done with a little practice and some silicone.

Otherwise, it's time to call a pro.

My thoughts exactly - Thats why I picked this up - Bert style hunting trophy!!!

As for taking it apart - it does and it doesnt - All the pieces are bolted on a steel frame - Boths come out easy enough - BUT - The fiberglass parts are stuck in there by foam / glue stuff

Worst case Ill cut the steel -

Ice Man - Who is your dad? Shoot me a PM - I worked at ILM for 3 years (Digital not the practical shop) But I know a lot of the model shop guys -

I live in Marin County - If you are local would love to meet up with a fellow RPF'er over coffee or a beer!

Here is my IMDB

Tyler Ham - IMDb

Ice Man - Who is your dad? Shoot me a PM - I worked at ILM for 3 years (Digital not the practical shop) But I know a lot of the model shop guys -

I live in Marin County - If you are local would love to meet up with a fellow RPF'er over coffee or a beer!

Here is my IMDB

Tyler Ham - IMDb

I'll send you my contact info -

My dad teaches at the crucible in Oakland.
If you worked at Tippett you might know a good friend of mine that worked there - Randy Dutra.

I worked in the ILM Modelshop in the mid-1980's, under Lorne Peterson.

I agree with the previous comments about silicone- I'd do a fiberglas or epoxy mother mold over a clay skin to reduce the amount of RTV, then pull the clay out and pour the silicone into the mother mold around the master, walled off into sections to be done one at a time. You can then rotocast it.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back