How do you become a motion picture armorer/ weapon safety officer?

desertsoldier22

I am not going to beat a dead horse per certain events, however as military veteran, gun enthusiast, and a person with a rather in-depth knowledge of firearms I think this might be an interesting gig. I am well versed in the fundamentals of firearms safety, ammunition loading whether it be blanks, dummy rounds, blank firing only training arms and I am rather religiously zealous in people not screwing around. I would like to see if anyone in this community with on set experience could give me some advice or in depth knowledge of someone wishing to enter this field.

I would also think you just don’t show up on a film set no matter how many weapons you have or licenses . Probably take along time to build your name up in that industry .

You’re not willing to relocate that would be a problem as well I would imagine .
Well considering you need to be a millionaire to even own a home in Southern California. Not to mention its pretty hard to keep or store half of the firearms in that state. I am a one hour flight away in my 172. Building a name is important in any industry, but some of these films have some real questionable people doing this job, some have top notch folks.

Well considering you need to be a millionaire to even own a home in Southern California. Not to mention its pretty hard to keep or store half of the firearms in that state. I am a one hour flight away in my 172. Building a name is important in any industry, but some of these films have some real questionable people doing this job, some have top notch folks.
Right but you have no experience on a film set which puts you pretty much behind everyone . Think most people would take employment from another armorer to get experience. You must have to register with the film industry also is my guess . My point is getting work could be difficult . Don't forget the insurance policy which must be massive at this point .

Last edited:
You’re not willing to relocate that would be a problem as well I would imagine .
He's not obliged to relocate. His main compound is AZ and he's going to rent an apt. (motel) for the duration of the gig...(depending on shooting location) technology is there to help him (Zoom meeting/phone calls, etc). Union dues, insurances, etc can be expensive.

Building a name is important in any industry, but some of these films have some real questionable people doing this job, some have top notch folks.
Just my speculation, but I would imagine the vast majority are top notch (at least relatively speaking).

The alluded-to event was primarily notable for being a mindbogglingly-rare outlier; not necessarily any indicator of the industry at large.

Knightmare I don't see a problem in the question. Maybe a bit overly optimistic about the ease of entry into a highly-specialized and presumably competitive field... but then again, all desertsoldier22 is asking is to pick the brain of someone with on-set experience.

Not sure how much the RPF can yield in that regard beyond the earlier suggested member, but I guess you never know who else is on here.

And AZ is at least attempting to re-grow their footprint on the production map, so there could be future potential there, if not currently.

Knightmare I don't see a problem in the question. Maybe a bit overly optimistic about the ease of entry into a highly-specialized and presumably competitive field... but then again, all desertsoldier22 is asking is to pick the brain of someone with on-set experience.

Not sure how much the RPF can yield in that regard beyond the earlier suggested member, but I guess you never know who else is on here.

And AZ is at least attempting to re-grow their footprint on the production map, so there could be future potential there, if not currently.
I still think its a a troll post lol

My advice would be to get a job at an armory that does a lot of work in Hollywood and work your way up. As an unknown and somebody who probably isn't independently wealthy, I don't think that there's any way that you're going to be hired on as an armorer, esp. not after the Alec Baldwin incident. The best that you can hope for without working your way up is to hope that someone you know (very well) decides to make a small indy film on their own and is willing to hire you on as their armorer because you'd be willing to work for cheap or free.

Well considering you need to be a millionaire to even own a home in Southern California.

Thinking this is a troll post has to be lol
Legitimate question, lots of veterans that would be ideal for this role. Thinking it might be a better option than other decisions that have been made. I would do it, I eat and breath this kind of stuff. As far as working on a film set, I have been on two while in the service, even had to pay for SAG dues for saying one word that cost more than I got paid. Trust me its not hard compared to some of the stuff I have done. I though maybe since prop masters have been known to work with armorers it would be worth the shot.

Last edited:
I think more and more will be moving to prop guns and add in muzzle flash in post. after recent events, no one wants the liability. Didn’t Dwayne Johnson say he won’t allow real guns on his sets?

I think more and more will be moving to prop guns and add in muzzle flash in post. after recent events, no one wants the liability. Didn’t Dwayne Johnson say he won’t allow real guns on his sets?
I think that the incident with Baldwin is not a first death on a movie set. Whether explosion accidents (with death), stuntman/woman or gun related deaths these were dealt with, sometimes not all the times, a "Knee-jerk" reaction. Quell the fire (Press, Union, etc) and move-on.

No guns, or any type of weapons on certain types of movies aren't going to happen anytime soon. Even with Airsoft...you'll need someone with an official title on set to handle, clean, prep those weapons for the cast to use. For the people expecting 0% risks on a set...good luck.:rolleyes:

No guns, or any type of weapons on certain types of movies aren't going to happen anytime soon.
Agreed; Johnson and a few other prominent figures did make that claim in the immediate aftermath, but while understandable / predictable, I think it was an overreaction, and I have to imagine those announcements hacked off a lot of armorers with perfectly clean records.

Speculating again as an outsider, but my sense is that shifting to all-Airsoft would severely limit the variety of arms a film could choose from, and shifting to all-resin/rubber would not only remove the realistic interaction for the actor, but add even further elements requiring CGI. Just the muzzle flashes and casing-ejections on a big action film can't be cheap, and often look fake when done poorly. Granted, Weta and maybe a few others have made examples with lights and mechanical casing ejectors, but those can't be cheap either, and I think those are mainly intended for more strictly-regulated arms like machine guns. Plus, you need close-ups, and if you can't use real guns for those, that's going to be tough.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back