How do I make blueprints?

There are two typical approaches (that I'm aware of, anyway):

1. Free-hand/pen-to-paper
2. Computer-generated

The first approach is pretty straight-forward; take some suitable drafting paper, a pen or pencil, and a long ruler.

After doing sufficient research online of one's subject of interest, start out with drawing a large square/rectangle/circle (depending on the general shape of the prop) and then being tracing out a rough shape within that.

I typically go through three to four rough drafts, making revisions to certain areas, details and proportions as I go along. Use whatever reference pics you have to make any necessary changes to the sketch.

The second approach is admittedly something I've never had any experience with. There are various software programs available (ie. AutoCAD, Corel Draw) for digitally drafting blueprints.

Some software is designed to generate digital blueprints in 2D only (ie. profile views), whereas other software allows one to create a 3D blueprint which is useful for CNC-ing items.

Keep in mind such software is never cheap, so compare between the different features to find what you're looking for. Hopefully you'll choose one that's a little less expensive.

That's putting it in laymen's terms, but I hope that explains it somewhat.

Last edited:
I've been using Corel Draw for 2 decades maybe. Great program for all sorts of things, but I blueprint with it as well. What's nice is that for a symetrical model, you only have to blueprint 1 side, then copy it, flip it over (mirror image) and attach it to the 1st side you made.

I wrote the only book on this subject for modelers. It walks you through the basics from start to finish -- whether you want to draw with pencil and paper or your favorite computer program. Check it out here:

ModelersNotebook.com

I've always used a piece of computer paper, a ruler and a pencil (or pen, depending on what I had on me at the time) myself.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back