How do I go about making a mould of my helmet?

Atlanthia

Sr Member
Hi All! I have nearly finished my Stormtrooper helmet scratch build for under 10 GBP and I would love to make a light, wearable copy of it. This is totally new territory for me so I would Fully appreciate any advice as to what road to go down.

If I was to vacuform it, I guess I would have to cut the helmet up into two, probably three, pieces???

If I made a fibreglass mould, what would be the best thing to stop it sticking to the master?

I know NOTHING about this but want and NEED to learn fast so PLEASE, blow me away with the amazing knowlege you guys (and girls) have.

Thank you all in advance
Darren

If you're looking to cast it in resin I think this is a good place to start: ‪Making a Brush-On Silicone Mold | Mold Making Tutorials, Part 1/2‬‏ - YouTube

The down side to this is the expense and the risk of working with new materials. The up sides is that it can get more detail than most vacuformed pieces, you dont have to destroy the original, and once you have the mold and resin you can cast as many copies as you'd like. Hope this helped.

Dude, whats the plan here? Are u still wanting to keep the cost down? Cos the cost of makeing resin copies or even vac form bucks+plastic to pull would prob cost more that already available kits in the uk.

My exp is resin castings, and a helmet will prob cost upwards of 60 to 70 quid, and thats with a lot of ancillary products already in my shop. U will need 3 maybe 4 kg of rtv silicone, fg+polyester resin. Then abt 800g of polyurethane resin to cast each helmet.

If u are gonna vac form, have u got access to a vac former or gonna build one? Traditional tk lids are 2 main halves and ears separate. All in all prob cheaper to mold and pull, if u already have the vac former set up.

Dude, whats the plan here? Are u still wanting to keep the cost down? Cos the cost of makeing resin copies or even vac form bucks+plastic to pull would prob cost more that already available kits in the uk.

My exp is resin castings, and a helmet will prob cost upwards of 60 to 70 quid, and thats with a lot of ancillary products already in my shop. U will need 3 maybe 4 kg of rtv silicone, fg+polyester resin. Then abt 800g of polyurethane resin to cast each helmet.

If u are gonna vac form, have u got access to a vac former or gonna build one? Traditional tk lids are 2 main halves and ears separate. All in all prob cheaper to mold and pull, if u already have the vac former set up.

The helmet is being built on a budget, because I wanted to prove to myself that it could be done, and I'm hoping to finish it today and that will be the end of the challenge. Although I am not applying ithe same financial restrictions to moulding as I did to construction, I still want to mould it reasonably cheaply, so I guess fibreglass is the way to go.

{My exp is resin castings, and a helmet will prob cost upwards of 60 to 70 quid, and thats with a lot of ancillary products already in my shop. U will need 3 maybe 4 kg of rtv silicone, fg+polyester resin. Then abt 800g of polyurethane resin to cast each helmet.}

yah this isnt specificly a cheap way to go... and its not done in a day... maybe 48 hours if the weather is right. you need to build up a good layer of rubber or silicone, THEN add the hard shell.
heres a few referance shots of my helmet... this was over 4 days to make sure it all cured properly..
IMG00172.jpg

IMG00256.jpg

IMG00260.jpg

IMG00257.jpg

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back