how do I get oil clay smooth like glass?

Emperor Chaos

How do I get oil base clay smooth like glass? I have this oil base clay that is hard to get smooth and I can't seem to get it right.
I forgot the name of the clay but it melts to flame or hot water if that helps. :)

But anyways has anyone used Chavant NSP before?
I think I'll get the Chavant NSP Medium oil base clay for my next project. I hear it's what big companies use to make there prototypes. And I heard that you can smooth it out with rubbing alcohol. But I’m not sure. And I would like to know if anyone has worked with this stuff before and if they could share how to get it to be as smooth as possible. :D

I use chavant NSP medium for pretty much everything i do. Smoothing wise ive never tried to get a perfectly smooth area, just a roughly smooth one, as skin detail and texture dont really require a perfectly flat/smooth area.

However i have used white spirits but if you use it too heavily it will turn the clay to mush, i have heard like you that you can use rubbing alcohol, or even lighter fluid. but for the most part i just tend to use my fingers.

im rarely in a rush hehe. :)

same here, i use the nsp chavant med and learned of using mineral spirits from usurper. the kidney bean rubber tool is your friend. that and patience.

Alcohol torch the area and the clay will melt a little bit and become smooth like glass.
Spray Air cans can cool it quick and become hard again so the clay doesn't start dripping.
Spraying water and smoothing it with your finger tips may work also but the clay must be medium soft.
You'll need to experiment a bit. Have Fun!

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back