How do I create a full over head silicone mask

toxicvenom

I have sculpted a full size bust that I cast in resin, my plan
is to make it into a full head wearable mask, I have the silicone
mould but how do I cast a copy that can produce a mould for
casting in silicone.. my concern is if I make a plaster mould
how to get the sculpt out of the plaster mould because of the
ears and undercuts...

Hey man. Trying to get this straight. So you made a sculpt, and then molded it with silicone and made a resin cast of the sculpture? Do you still have the original core that you sculpted your mask on top of?

It will be very difficult to make a good silicone mask without a proper core. Even harder to make it from an existing resin sculpture.

Assuming you figure it out, I'd really recommend against molding in plaster. Silicone and stone are a terrible combination. Stick with an epoxy or polyester resin mold.

it was a modified lifecast, of heath ledger that I sculpted into the joker with monster clay so I was wondering if I made a
clay pull from the silicone mould then made a mould to take silicone.. its more for a silicone bust than a mask.
just wanted to know what to make the mould out of for silicone.. its the ears and undercuts that worry me about removing
the sculpt from the mould for silicone that I want to know.

If it's just going to be a bust, clay pour it and do a two piece epoxy mold.

Split it down the middle of the head and go right on the edge of the ear so you don't have to worry about undercuts. FB_IMG_1433926451804.jpg This picture shows what I mean. (Not my work, I believe this was done by the fantastic Carl Lyon of VVD.. just the only pic I had in my phone showing what I mean)

Once you have your epoxy mold you can lay up about a quarter of an inch thick sheet of clay all the way around the inside and epoxy into the mold to make a core. Drill bleeders (holes for the air to escape.. usually the high points of the piece.) and an injection port and you're good to go.

Just wondered if as a test piece using my silicone mould coated with the royal jelly product and pressing a life cast of my face as the inner core. Would this work and give me a test wearable silicone face?

You can cast silicone on silicone with a proper release agent. Silicones of different durometer/shore hardness are more likely to release from each other more readily. I have cast DragonSkin against Rebound40 molds with success, using Mann 200 for release.

Thanks for the info, I hear that tin cure silicone will inhibit platinum silicone to cure, as my mould is tin cure will either release agents
form a barrier or will other types of silicone be best in a tin cure mould?
as its for a bust really and not to wear just want a silicone version of my sculpt.

Tin cure silicones will inhibit platinum. You can try using something like inhibit X to try and stop that. Or you can use clear tin silicone and tint it to your specification and paint it from there.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back