how did this guy make these? glowing quartz clusters

hydin

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=6637387408

its an ended auction, so its ok to post.

what really hit me was the fact this guy made the rocks glow. i cant see anything that looks like a wire or battery. i know the quartz is chemically treated to make it those colors... but how the hell did he pull off actually getting the rocks to glow when you press on em?

i would ask him (and did), but he is unavailible for a while due to a honeymoon.

so... any ideas? im lost on this one. it cant be EL cause the invertor is not there, i doubt its an LED cause, well, theres no switch seen and the rocks look pretty flat. plus theres no "spotlight" effect in the stone that i can tell from the pics.

its pretty awesome though.

any ideas?
chris

<div class='quotetop'>(hydin @ Jun 20 2006, 05:51 PM) [snapback]1264566[/snapback]</div>
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=6637387408

its an ended auction, so its ok to post.

what really hit me was the fact this guy made the rocks glow. i cant see anything that looks like a wire or battery. i know the quartz is chemically treated to make it those colors... but how the hell did he pull off actually getting the rocks to glow when you press on em?

i would ask him (and did), but he is unavailible for a while due to a honeymoon.

so... any ideas? im lost on this one. it cant be EL cause the invertor is not there, i doubt its an LED cause, well, theres no switch seen and the rocks look pretty flat. plus theres no "spotlight" effect in the stone that i can tell from the pics.

its pretty awesome though.

any ideas?
chris

I would say the rocks are being lit from below. The box is deep enough to conceal bright lights underneath with all the batteries you would need to light them up. Thats what I would do to get that same effect.

Damian
[/b]

yea, i was leaning towards that too... only thing i can really think of. i think (im not sure) that they glow away from the box though.

im not 100% on that though. to get em to glow away from the box... thats the real brain bender part of this.
chris

It's MAAAAAGGGGGIIIIIICCCCCC..

I third the light box, notice the only glowing pics are in the box and the box is foam lined. Probably has a white LED sticking up into the foam and when you press down it turns it on.

As far as the colors, Michaels sells translucent paint that you can paint on glass to get a stained glass effect. It's what my friend used to make blue eyes for his Greedo mask. Wonder if he used the same stuff.

I suspect LEDS and batteries in the box. That's a deep box.

1) Quartz does not glow.
2) He does not mention batteries.
3) They are only shown glowing in the box.
4) They are glowing without anything obvious pressing on them.
5) There appears to be a couple of hot light spots.
6) The switch could be under the box surface that the rocks sit on.
7) Technology, sufficiently advanced, is indistinguishable from magic

Is it me, or does anyone else see a face in the red rock?

Oh, and I agree with the others. There must some sort of LED in the box lighting it from the bottom.

They are radio active. To emit light you need some source of power, ya want to get into weird ways to do things like that study NikolaTesla's writings. :D

<div class='quotetop'>(acerocket @ Jun 20 2006, 02:43 PM) [snapback]1264618[/snapback]</div>
Is it me, or does anyone else see a face in the red rock?
[/b]

Yes. It's FRYLOCK. MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Ryu

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back