How can I turn epoxy yellow quickly

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Buck Wild, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Buck Wild

Buck Wild New Member

So here's my dilemma. I have this pin, it's your standard brass and epoxy dome pin, similar to campaign pins and the like. I want it to look aged and very yellow, but I want it to be natural.

Epoxy yellows with age, heat, and UV exposure, but I'd prefer to not just leave this pin outside all day. Is there anything I can do to super speed up this process without ruining the pin itself? I know most people try to stop this process from happening, but I'm hopeful there's a way to make this change happen quickly and safely.

I wanted to come to you guys before I just throw this thing in the oven and hope for the best and that it won't de-laminate or something horrible. I don't want to just marker over it or do anything cosmetic like that. I want the change to be as natural as possible, as quick as possible.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  2. Darksyde13

Darksyde13 Active Member

Hmm, not sure on that one. black light and a toster oven?

3. A2E

A2E New Member

This is just a wild guess, but since bleach causes iron to oxidize quickly maybe it would do the same to resin? Perhaps try it on a spare chunk of the same material (if you have it).

4. renaissance_man

renaissance_man Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You can buy UV LEDs why not just buy a few and a resistor and a 9V battery, hook up the LEDs and aim them at the epoxy you want to dis-colour overnight then put by the window during the day, that should do the trick.

I would avoid direct heat incase it cracks the epoxy or damages the rest of the prop, just go for UV it is the surefire method for discolouring resin.

5. A2E

A2E New Member

UV LEDs are pretty weak I think, I doubt they would hasten the process too much. What might be a better option is to buy an EPROM eraser, that should put out some pretty good UV radiation. A quick search of ebay shows that they can be had for under $20.00.

6. Fly4v

Fly4v Sr Member

Liquid yellow food coloring? Just experiment before applying to the pin.