How can I replica a WW2 Nazi Passport?

Alrightman

Hello everyone! I need to make a German passport from WW2 for my costume. Have you tried it? Any tips would be appreciated :p

I tried making one on photoshop, btw, but I couldn't find good reference pictures myself.

This is one of those times that Google is your friend. I’d recommend using Illustrator, InDesign, and photoshop for a project like this.

Illustrator for all of your graphics
Photoshop for your weathering/photos
InDesign for your layout.

I’ve never made a WW2-era knotzee passport (sorry about the spelling mod, if I use the correct spelling only a "*" will show). I’ve made a couple of fallout and Girl Scout passports (for my kids). I’ll post some examples if I can find them.

Good luck

Last edited:
Testing testing, Nazi one. Nazi two?

Works for me.

...the correct spelling only a "*" will show...

You've got the forum language filter settings on. When rpf upgraded a few months back, the default setting for everyone put the filter to "on". The naughty words get posted, even if you have the filter on, it will just show you "****" in place of icky language (everyone with the filter off still sees what you wrote though). You can go turn it off in your forum settings if you want.

Last edited:
Testing testing, Nazi one. Nazi two?

Works for me.

You've got the forum language filter settings on. When rpf upgraded a few months back, the default setting for everyone put the filter to "on". The naughty words get posted, even if you have the filter on, it will just show you "****" in place of icky language (everyone with the filter off still sees what you wrote though). You can go turn it off in your forum settings if you want.

I had no idea, thanks!

Hello everyone! I need to make a German passport from WW2 for my costume. Have you tried it? Any tips would be appreciated :p

I tried making one on photoshop, btw, but I couldn't find good reference pictures myself.

As promised, here're some examples of passports I've designed...

I redacted all the real info and PII...

There are a set of Valtec/Dweller passports I made for my son and a couple of friends to play Fallout. The idea was they needed to check in and out of their vault and declare whatever they bring in/out. In the end I made about 5 prototypes, some with staples and some where I stitched the spins with a sewing machine. I then let the kids decide which one/parts they liked before a produced the final set. These are the prototypes..

IMG_7322.jpeg
IMG_7323.jpeg
IMG_7324.jpeg
IMG_7325.jpeg
IMG_7326.jpeg
IMG_7327.jpeg
IMG_7328.jpeg
IMG_7329.jpeg

IMG_7330.jpeg
IMG_7331.jpeg
IMG_7333.jpeg
IMG_7334.jpeg
IMG_7335.jpeg

IMG_7332.jpeg

This other one I did is from way back in 2011 for my daughter's Girl Scout troop and their sponsoring of World Thinking Day. These were made to simulate a "generic" US style passport for them to collect ink stamps in.

IMG_7336.jpeg
IMG_7337.jpeg
IMG_7338.jpeg
IMG_7339.jpeg
IMG_7340.jpeg
IMG_7341.jpeg

Both were done using a combination of Illustrator for the graphics, Photoshop for the weathering and special effects (like stamp smudging, ink stamping, and other details/weathering), and InDesign to lay everything out and keep it all in signature for printing. For the Valtec passports I also printed a bunch of different sticker-stamps for various Vault Visas and immigrations. I tried to find the final ones I made for them with all the stamps and stickers, but they're long destroyed by the kids. They went through a fallout stage and destroyed them in the process

Anyway, hope this stuff helps. If anything, they should give you an idea of what can be done.

Cheers -- James

BAJA TYM - thanks for sharing examples of your great work - very impressive! At first I wasn't following the need to use InDesign, but I see now that the layout of the tricky printing for a pamphlet would be made much easier using it.

Can you talk a bit more about your printing process - what kind of paper, what did you print them on and how did you get such nice curves on the edges? I am working on personal Blade Runner project and any tips on your production process would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

- James

BAJA TYM - thanks for sharing examples of your great work - very impressive! At first I wasn't following the need to use InDesign, but I see now that the layout of the tricky printing for a pamphlet would be made much easier using it.

Can you talk a bit more about your printing process - what kind of paper, what did you print them on and how did you get such nice curves on the edges? I am working on personal Blade Runner project and any tips on your production process would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

- James

Hello James,

Well, there’s not too much to add, but I’ll try.

Paper: for the cover I used generic/simple hot-pressed card stock. I put the smooth side out and the more rough side inward. The inter sheets are just multipurpose printer paper.

Printing Method:
Consumer grade HP Laser Jet, nothing special.
- For the cover, I print them one side at a time. The toner on the cover may flake during use, depending on the amount of color applied.
- I always print the cover and the interior separately.
- Bleed, registration, ticks/trim lines... these are all your friend. Design so you’ll need to trim excess material from the paper. Make ticks to ID the top, bottom, center and sides. I even make ticks to show where to place the staples. When the paper are aligned I uses a ruler, then trim the pages with either a sharp hobby knife or a paper cutter. How I cut the sheets depends on the number of pages/thickness of the book. There're many approaches to getting a nice square book.

Corners:
Just a corner cutter, this one actually... here. When I worked in the industry I had access to an industrial-grade cutter, but the small one does just fine for small projects. I cut the book square first, then use the corner cutter to round the edges. This cutter I've linked is great because it has 3 size options. It's great for replica ID card and other prop documents.

Let me know if you have other specific questions, I'm happy to help with any specific question you have. Feel free to PM me if need be.

-- James

A few years ago there was a guy in Russia selling originals, both military and civilian passports and other documents.

He also had kgb documents.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back