How can I remove a water transfer decal from goatskin?

MFP 2020

Sr Member
I applied a water transfer decal to the shoulder of my goatskin A2 jacket, because evidently that's how they did it back in the '40s. I've decided to go a different direction with the jacket but, lo and behold, the decal (which one would think would be pretty fragile) is on there to stay. It won't scratch off, it won't soak off. Any ideas on how to remove it without damaging the leather underneath? Thanks.

photo-1.JPG

I just did a quick experiment with some of my scrap leather on my table. Not ever having to remove something from a leather jacket before, other than my own painting mistakes.:D Which I usually do with a water based acrylic. I tried some lighter fluid, my standard for many things, some isopropyl alcohol and some nail polish remover. In each instance they did take some of the surface dye and dull it a bit. Which can usually be fixed with a light bit of neutral shoe polish to bring the gloss back if you haven't lost any real color, or a light redye if you have a color match. It might even just buff out with a soft cloth. Whether any of those will take the decal off, I'm not sure. I'd start with the lighter fluid and rub a small section to see if the decal lifts. The nail polish remover would be my next attempt, it does contain acetone, so I think it should work on the decal, but it will take more surface finish off than the lighter fluid. It just depends on how hard you may have to rub. Try a small test area and see what works. If something else is going on in place of the decal, it shouldn't matter too much. These fluid's may dry the leather a bit if you use too much, so if you have any Neats Foot Oil or other leather conditioner, I'd give it a quick rubbing after the decal is gone, but that's just me. Of course, if you get a little worn look, A-2's are supposed to be weathered and broken in.:)

Last edited:
I just took a closer look at your jacket picture. Are you sure it's an A-2, looks more like a Navy G-1 to me, it doesn't appear to have epaulets on it and do I detect a hint of a fur collar, if so, it's a G-1. Navy jackets wouldn't have an AAF patch anyway. Many of the WWII Flying Tigers wore G-1's but they never put any new patches or paint jobs on them when they went back to US service after the Tigers were disbanded.

I painted one of my spare reproduction A-2's a few months ago, in honor of local Flying Tigers Ace, Ken Jernstedt, who passed away last February. The 88 on the jacket was his P-40 tail number and he was in the 3rd Pursuit Sq. Hells Angels.
View attachment 293081

Nope, it's an A2 with epaulettes and no fur. Goof Off worked okay but not deep in the grain so I used the scrubber wheel on my Dremel. The discoloration was minimal. Goatskin just doesn't want to distress.

Ok, it was hard to tell from the picture, I couldn't see the epaulet stitching and the dark edge of the picture looked furry to me.:facepalm That's what I get for posting after being up all night, my eyes were furry.:wacko I'm glad you found something that worked. I've never used that stuff myself, have to keep it in mind for future reference in case mt usual fixes don't work.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back