How can I fix a wrist joint on an action figure?

DuneMuadDib

Sr Member
Got a DC Direct Hush action figure today, and while I was twisting his left wrist into a better looking position the hand broke off the peg in his forearm. I'd thought to just superglue it back on, but that'd probably limit it to just that one spot (which is no big since this will just be for display anyway). Is there a way to fix the joint so it's still functional?

Maybe get a fine dremel bit and drill out matching holes on the hand and arm parts... Use a bit of paperclip or some stiff wire slightly larger in diameter than the holes as a pin to connect the two.

The wrist joint itself still functions, right? It's just that the peg has broken off at the wrist, and the peg fragment is lodged in the forearm?

Rather than supergluing the wrist to the peg, you might try fashioning a new pin from a thick piece of wire. A snippet from a heavy-duty paperclip should work. Whatever you use, the wire should be thick enough that the short segment (approx. 1 cm) won't bend under moderate stress.

You can use a small drill bit and a pin vise to bore holes in both the forearm and the wrist joint. If you are able to remove the peg fragment from the forearm, all the better.

Instead of gluing the end of the broken wrist joint directly to the broken peg, you'll be cementing the tip of the wire pin to the bottom of the hole in the forearm, and the other tip of the wire pin to the bottom of the hole in the wrist joint. If you do this carefully, the cement will never touch the moving part of the wrist, and the joint will remain flexible.

Test fit before you apply any glue. :)

{EDIT} E had the same idea. And we both have dog avatars, too. :p

Originally posted by temponaut@Mar 2 2006, 11:01 PM
{EDIT}  E had the same idea.  And we both have dog avatars, too.   :p
[snapback]1197696[/snapback]​

Yours was much more clearly stated though- makes a lot more sense than mine... And your dog avatar is cool too- the angle of the picture almost makes it look like a polar bear :)

Ethan

Originally posted by E Williams@Mar 3 2006, 04:56 PM
And your dog avatar is cool too- the angle of the picture almost makes it look like a polar bear :)
Thanks, Ethan. :D

The look of my pooch seems to change a lot depending on the angle. From some angles she looks like a fox, from others like a wolf, and from a certain low angle she appears to have a goofy, cartoonish smile. I always thought her look in the avatar was a bit unusual, but couldn't quite put my finger on it. I think you nailed it, though. She almost looks like a polar bear... which is funny, because she's actually pretty small.

Sorry, Dune, didn't mean to derail your thread.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back