How about a group effort making the Hugo movie Note Book

closet geek

I saw Hugo and loved it, a little slow but intriguing. I plan to try to do the note book, but I am not a very good artist. Maybe this could be a group effort with the good artists making new pages, while the so so's like myself can trace screen cap's and clean them up. Then scan the new drawings and post so everyone can make their own. I will tell how below. I will post pic's as I make them whether anyone else does or not. If you do one of the scans you might post what you are working on so we don’t get duplicates, and the project can move faster. I will keep track here for quick reference. Also, I need to find a good source for the cover. Let me know what you think
If anyone needs it, I screen captured as much of the book as I could, plus a lot of pic’s of the automaton man to help draw from to draw the pages not shown to help fill in the rest of the book. I also added 1 pic from the real book just for fun. There are about 57 pics so I put them on my flicker account.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24760002@N02/

As for the note book itself, you will find screen caps at the above link. I have looked and looked with no luck. Let me know if you come up with a better one but here is what I plan to do to make mine. It should come in at $20 or less when finished. I found this plain reporters note book on-line to start.

http://europeanpaper.com/product/journals/hard-bound/moleskine-reporter-pocket-plain-notebook-mr717/

It is $11 plus shipping and you can probably find it cheaper if you look. It is made by Moleskin, and is the right size, 4x6 with plain pages that are the right shape. Next I found “AC card stock” to make the cover out of:

http://www.americancrafts.com/subcategory.php?id=30&sub=159

I plan to use the Storm color and the card stock has the right texture for the job. For the brown portion I may have to buy a role of brown book repair tape, that’s what it looks like to me. Next I will have to remove the cover and then rebind the new cover using book binding techniques I have learned in the last couple of years. I will post how I do this in a couple of weeks when I order and receive my supplies. For now I am going to wait about a week to see if any one comes up with a better idea on a notebook to use. I had to Buy a whole role of brown cloth tape for a stink en 4" piece. @ $17 delivered. So I have over 14 yards of the stuff, PM me and I will give you my address then send me a self addressed and stamped envelop And I will send you 2- 4" pieces to keep your book cost down.

As for the pages, I start in Photo shop by making a new blank jpg at 4”x6” and save it as a template to make all the pages for printing. Take one of the screen cap’s, resize and clean it up in Photoshop in a 4x6 template and print. Once it is printed I made a 4x6 cut out of poster board (or whatever you have) to trace on the new pattern so I can line it up and have a good reference point when I retrace it in the book. I use “Trace-it, Gray Transfer Paper”, found at Hobby Lobby. I believe it is better than carbon paper because it is “ERASABLE”, which is great after you go over the tracing with a black pen you can erase all the extras that are left.

http://www.melissaanddoug.com/scratch-art-traceit-gray-transferpaper-5sheets

It seems like an extra step but I think it’s better to do the first copy on new paper versus the book, so you can play with it and get it right before the last tracing in the book. Once I have finished the new pic I will scan it and post it here, I hope others do the same so we can all enjoy. About the pen, you will need something that flows well so the lines are not jerky. I use a fine point calligraphy pen but there are lots of choices in the fine point marker area that will probably do the job, I did not have much luck with a ballpoint pen for this. In the movie book there looks to be black ink and blue ink and some in pencil, so you will have to look at the screen cap’s to see what color to do the final pages in. As for tracing it does not matter, I used a pencil.

It appears they had 3 or 4 pages of the same head, so when you flipped the book it moved better, with drawings and writings on the left. I can see 15 different heads so that would be 35 “head pages” if you make 3 pages each to create the animation. I plan to do my versions of the heads and post them here. I had already started using a template I made so the heads will line up and look better when flipped. But when I am done you will have to put in the writings and extra drawings on the left as you will, these will have to be made up pages for the most part, maybe just French writings on some as filler, you decide. You can look at the scans to see what I mean.

Also looks like it is in French, so I do not know how accurate the words need to be maybe just copy some words out of a French book or web site and move on. If it does not bother you, it does not bother me. (Can’t read Freench any way)

I am starting with the heads and "Capture10." It is the first page seen in the book, in the movie. I think the other side being the first page may have had a whole page of written notes describing it, or at least in my mind anyway since they do not show it. It may be a good place to insert the drawing from the real book, at least the man at his table.

These are the screan cap's to be done let me know when you are working on one and I will mark it in progress or done so we don't do duplicates.

1 done
c7 done
c8 done
c9 working on
c10 done
c11 done
c12 done
C13 done
c15 done
c16 done
c17 done
c18 done
c19 done left
c19 done right
c20 done left
c20 done right
c21 done
c22 done left
c22 done right
c23 done left
c23 done right
c24 done
c25 done
c26 done
c28 done
c29
c30 done
c31 done
c32
c33 done
c35 done
c36
c37
c38
c39
c40
c41
c42
c43
C44 done
C45 done

lazlow

Last edited:
got the plans from the Hugo movie companion I have a much bigger version of this if you need it, let me know and I will email it to you. its in two half's
one 5.66 mb the other 2.44mb
Lazlow :darnkids

Last edited:
Interesting replica. My guess is that the book was completely fabricated from scratch. After I finish my current project, I would love to have a go at recreating it.

Here is c25,
You will ned to add the shadows around the body when you copy it to your book. My pen dose not do the shadows very well, I will see about getting a diferent pen.

Last edited:
I did C33 real quick, but my style is looking much different from yours. I also don't know about the size difference, mine is sized to match up with the large image from flickr.

I did C33 real quick, but my style is looking much different from yours. I also don't know about the size difference, mine is sized to match up with the large image from flickr.
It looks great. Each drawing in the book was slightly deferent any way. And as for the size I don't think it will matter either because anybody trying to make their book will have to size the pic’s in there photo editing program before they can trace it in to their book.
That looks great I will mark that one done Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks great. Each drawing in the book was slightly deferent any way. And as for the size I don't think it will matter either because anybody trying to make their book will have to size the pic’s in there photo editing program before they can trace it in to their book.
That looks great I will mark that one done Thanks.

Glad you like it, I'll work on some more as time allows.

Let's see, I'll add this in with the fact I need to age and cover another Grail diary, finish three BTTF2 bats, sand and paint an Iron Man face plate, carve a Grail tablet, frame a crucifixion painting, and age the boards for a Leap of Faith painting. I'm also toying with the idea of building Sir Richard's shield, depending on how the tablet carvings goes.

Yea, I'd say my next couple of days off are pretty full, ha, but I love it.

Here is c17 & c26. You will need to add the shadows to 26 once you copy it in to your book. Look at screen cap for reference.
I am going to work on c12 next.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back