How about a group effort making the Hugo movie Note Book

Discussion in 'Free Replica Paper Props' started by closet geek, Mar 31, 2012.

1. closet geek

closet geek Member

I saw Hugo and loved it, a little slow but intriguing. I plan to try to do the note book, but I am not a very good artist. Maybe this could be a group effort with the good artists making new pages, while the so so's like myself can trace screen cap's and clean them up. Then scan the new drawings and post so everyone can make their own. I will tell how below. I will post pic's as I make them whether anyone else does or not. If you do one of the scans you might post what you are working on so we don’t get duplicates, and the project can move faster. I will keep track here for quick reference. Also, I need to find a good source for the cover. Let me know what you think
    If anyone needs it, I screen captured as much of the book as I could, plus a lot of pic’s of the automaton man to help draw from to draw the pages not shown to help fill in the rest of the book. I also added 1 pic from the real book just for fun. There are about 57 pics so I put them on my flicker account.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24760002@N02/

As for the note book itself, you will find screen caps at the above link. I have looked and looked with no luck. Let me know if you come up with a better one but here is what I plan to do to make mine. It should come in at $20 or less when finished. I found this plain reporters note book on-line to start.

http://europeanpaper.com/product/journals/hard-bound/moleskine-reporter-pocket-plain-notebook-mr717/

It is $11 plus shipping and you can probably find it cheaper if you look. It is made by Moleskin, and is the right size, 4x6 with plain pages that are the right shape. Next I found “AC card stock” to make the cover out of:

http://www.americancrafts.com/subcategory.php?id=30&sub=159

I plan to use the Storm color and the card stock has the right texture for the job. For the brown portion I may have to buy a role of brown book repair tape, that’s what it looks like to me. Next I will have to remove the cover and then rebind the new cover using book binding techniques I have learned in the last couple of years. I will post how I do this in a couple of weeks when I order and receive my supplies. For now I am going to wait about a week to see if any one comes up with a better idea on a notebook to use. I had to Buy a whole role of brown cloth tape for a stink en 4" piece. @ $17 delivered. So I have over 14 yards of the stuff, PM me and I will give you my address then send me a self addressed and stamped envelop And I will send you 2- 4" pieces to keep your book cost down.

As for the pages, I start in Photo shop by making a new blank jpg at 4”x6” and save it as a template to make all the pages for printing. Take one of the screen cap’s, resize and clean it up in Photoshop in a 4x6 template and print. Once it is printed I made a 4x6 cut out of poster board (or whatever you have) to trace on the new pattern so I can line it up and have a good reference point when I retrace it in the book. I use “Trace-it, Gray Transfer Paper”, found at Hobby Lobby. I believe it is better than carbon paper because it is “ERASABLE”, which is great after you go over the tracing with a black pen you can erase all the extras that are left.

http://www.melissaanddoug.com/scratch-art-traceit-gray-transferpaper-5sheets

It seems like an extra step but I think it’s better to do the first copy on new paper versus the book, so you can play with it and get it right before the last tracing in the book. Once I have finished the new pic I will scan it and post it here, I hope others do the same so we can all enjoy. About the pen, you will need something that flows well so the lines are not jerky. I use a fine point calligraphy pen but there are lots of choices in the fine point marker area that will probably do the job, I did not have much luck with a ballpoint pen for this. In the movie book there looks to be black ink and blue ink and some in pencil, so you will have to look at the screen cap’s to see what color to do the final pages in. As for tracing it does not matter, I used a pencil.

It appears they had 3 or 4 pages of the same head, so when you flipped the book it moved better, with drawings and writings on the left. I can see 15 different heads so that would be 35 “head pages” if you make 3 pages each to create the animation. I plan to do my versions of the heads and post them here. I had already started using a template I made so the heads will line up and look better when flipped. But when I am done you will have to put in the writings and extra drawings on the left as you will, these will have to be made up pages for the most part, maybe just French writings on some as filler, you decide. You can look at the scans to see what I mean.

Also looks like it is in French, so I do not know how accurate the words need to be maybe just copy some words out of a French book or web site and move on. If it does not bother you, it does not bother me. (Can’t read Freench any way)

I am starting with the heads and "Capture10." It is the first page seen in the book, in the movie. I think the other side being the first page may have had a whole page of written notes describing it, or at least in my mind anyway since they do not show it. It may be a good place to insert the drawing from the real book, at least the man at his table.

These are the screan cap's to be done let me know when you are working on one and I will mark it in progress or done so we don't do duplicates.

1 done
    c7 done
    c8 done
    c9 working on
    c10 done
    c11 done
    c12 done
    C13 done
    c15 done
    c16 done
    c17 done
    c18 done
    c19 done left
    c19 done right
    c20 done left
    c20 done right
    c21 done
    c22 done left
    c22 done right
    c23 done left
    c23 done right
    c24 done
    c25 done
    c26 done
    c28 done
    c29
    c30 done
    c31 done
    c32
    c33 done
    c35 done
    c36
    c37
    c38
    c39
    c40
    c41
    c42
    c43
    C44 done
    C45 done

lazlow

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  2. closet geek

closet geek Member

got the plans from the Hugo movie companion I have a much bigger version of this if you need it, let me know and I will email it to you. its in two half's
    one 5.66 mb the other 2.44mb
    Lazlow :darnkids

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  3. closet geek

closet geek Member

heres #10

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  4. closet geek

closet geek Member

here is c28

5. closet geek

closet geek Member

here is c35

6. closet geek

closet geek Member

:facepalm forgot pic

7. closet geek

closet geek Member

Here is c45

8. Spence

Spence Member

Interesting replica. My guess is that the book was completely fabricated from scratch. After I finish my current project, I would love to have a go at recreating it.

9. closet geek

closet geek Member

Here is c44

10. closet geek

closet geek Member

Here is c25,
    You will ned to add the shadows around the body when you copy it to your book. My pen dose not do the shadows very well, I will see about getting a diferent pen.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  11. Luke0312

Luke0312 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I did C33 real quick, but my style is looking much different from yours. I also don't know about the size difference, mine is sized to match up with the large image from flickr.

12. closet geek

closet geek Member

It looks great. Each drawing in the book was slightly deferent any way. And as for the size I don't think it will matter either because anybody trying to make their book will have to size the pic’s in there photo editing program before they can trace it in to their book.
    That looks great I will mark that one done Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  13. Luke0312

Glad you like it, I'll work on some more as time allows.

Let's see, I'll add this in with the fact I need to age and cover another Grail diary, finish three BTTF2 bats, sand and paint an Iron Man face plate, carve a Grail tablet, frame a crucifixion painting, and age the boards for a Leap of Faith painting. I'm also toying with the idea of building Sir Richard's shield, depending on how the tablet carvings goes.

Yea, I'd say my next couple of days off are pretty full, ha, but I love it.

14. closet geek

closet geek Member

I thought I had a lot of unfinished projects. Thanks for the effort.

15. closet geek

closet geek Member

Here is c24. I had to do this one free hand. I think it came out not to bad.

16. Luke0312

Here's C30, not on the list, but in the flickr account.

17. closet geek

closet geek Member

looks great I will add it to the list as done, thanks
    I am going to work on 17 & 26 tonight

18. closet geek

closet geek Member

Here is c17 & c26. You will need to add the shadows to 26 once you copy it in to your book. Look at screen cap for reference.
    I am going to work on c12 next.

19. closet geek

closet geek Member

20. Luke0312

For 31 and 32 do you need the drawings on the left or just the face?

21. closet geek

closet geek Member

For now I was thinking just the faces till we get all 15. There looks to be drawings on all the pages on the left as well, but those will have to be the new ones we make, being only glimpses of them in the movie.
    But if you fell like it that’s cool too, I would maybe try to post the left and right separately so folks could copy them easier to their books maybe mark them right and left, IE "c31Left and c31right". Remember there will be 3 pages for every face so that would be maybe, c31left1, c31left2, c31left3. What do you think we should do?

All comments would be welcomed, even if you’re not drawing you might have a better idea then mine.

Also could still use some different ideas about on how to make the outside of the note book as well. I will probably order mine next weekend unless someone comes up with a cheaper and or better way.

22. closet geek

closet geek Member

Here is c12, you will need to put in the shadows this is also c14 in the original scans

23. closet geek

closet geek Member

Here is c23-b left and right. you need to add the shadows when copyed, and look at the screen cap there is both black and blue ink on the left pic.

24. Luke0312

That sounds good to me. I had started on 31, got to work on the left side and realized I would have to redraw that entire part basically.

I'll start back at the first of the week, when I have some free time again.

25. closet geek

closet geek Member

26. closet geek

closet geek Member

Here is c21, will need shadows

27. Luke0312

C31right

28. closet geek

closet geek Member

Here is c11. You will need to add shadows. Had a :facepalm moment, if you are a perfectionist, the # 8 in the middle of the mechanical drawing is supposed to be an "B". Then there is the dotted line around it is oval. This was the last thing I drew, and it kind of flattened out there at the end on the top right. I plain to fix this when I put it in my book but for now it should do ya, for a tracer.
    Next I am going to work on c13.

29. lharles

lharles Well-Known Member

This is cool! :)

30. closet geek

closet geek Member

31. closet geek

closet geek Member

Here is c13. you will need to add the shadows

32. closet geek

closet geek Member

This is from the book. I thought it would be cool to use for the front page, since you don't see the front page in the movie. The skirting of the table top is just a strait pace of wood in the movie, modified as you see fit.

33. closet geek

closet geek Member

here is c15
    The sideways writing on the left is done in blue, I t looks like in the whole book all the blue righting may be where he went back later and added notes or drawings in blue. I was looking at the video and it looks like to me he is using pencil not pen. So when you make your copy into your book, to be more accurate it should be done in black and blue pencil. This will make the shading much easier.

34. closet geek

closet geek Member

Here is c19 left and right.
    You will need to add shadows. On left the drawing is in black and the words are in blue. On the right the drawing is blue and the cross with the numbers is black. Had to fake the left side of the right pic due to bad scan, I guess it will due, you can always modify it when you copy it in your book as you like.

35. closet geek

closet geek Member

Here is c22 left and right.
    C22 left has blue words black drawing, ad shadows to both.

36. closet geek

closet geek Member

Here is c7 and c8 add shadows to both.
    :cry Not happy at all with c8, I could not get the gears in this one drawn and the keys did not come out as good as I would of liked. I substitute some words for the gears. It looks to me that someone else drew this page in the move book, the stile is different, not as accurate, and in modern day pencil. Also this is the only one that I have not been able to see the part in the real one? If some one could redraw this one I would be ecstatic.:facepalm

37. closet geek

closet geek Member

Here is c-20 left and right, need to add shadows to both. ( I think from now on we will assume that all need shadows, check pic's) Any way the left is all blue and as for the right the words are blue the drawing is black.

38. closet geek

closet geek Member

Well I had to break down and spend the money on the stinken tape for a stinkin 4" piece. The cheapest I could find it was $17 delivered. So now what to do with the other 14 yards 2 foot and 8 inch's.

So any way If you are making one of these journals PM me and i will give you my address, then send a self addressed envelop and I will send you an 10" piece until its gone no charge. Its the good stuff cloth tape used by the Library's to repair books. I should get in in the mail any day now. When I do I will post the how to post I promised, I have the rest of the blank book done.

39. closet geek

closet geek Member

here is c16 and c18. both all black, Well I managed to delete the original screen cap on c16 but here is "16.jepg" it is the one I made in photo shop for the templet. working on c9

40. closet geek

closet geek Member

Time for the notebook. You need to read post #1 for the supply’s I used. This is how I did it I am sure there are better ways to do it, but here goes.
    Frist cut out the pocket in the back.

Next you need to clamp the book to gather to put the red splatters on the sides. I am not excited about how it came out but it will have to do, I should have practiced on something else first. But I splattered water color paint on it, off the pocket that I took out see Pic. You might try using a red pen and taping just the tip over and over. Try it on something else first. Let us know if you have better luck then I did so others might benefit.

Next open the book and work your finger slowly down the inside of the spine about half way from the top and the bottom until it is detached from the cover, see pic. Keep working the rest of the front and back papers till the whole thing comes off from the cover, take your time try not to rip these sheets you need them.

Next you need to glue the cover paper and the end sheets together, this will stiffen up the cover when done. I used Elmer’s all-purpose glue stick, I have worked with this before and once it sets it stays and it’s easy to work with, also it will not wrinkle the paper like regular Elmer’s can.

While that dries, time to do the cover. Cut the cover over sized, next there are 3 folds in the cover horizontally. You need to do this before you glue it together. I used a ruler on the back and folded over almost all the way. You do not want a crease, but warn look, see pic. Also you need to bend it in the middle a copal of times as if it’s been flipped through a lot, not too much, remember you do not want a nice straight crisp line just well used look. When the books done and after you are done drawing in it, I plane to flip through mine a lot to get a well-worn look, but you do not want to do that till after you have finished drawing in it.

Next glue the back cover on, working the two to gather all over, leaving overlap all the way around. Once it has dried for about ½hr you can glue on the cover. DO NOT GLUE THE SPINE. That would cause the cover to fail later. After it dries trim the cover down to the book size.

I then hit mine on the lower right corner to match the move book them rubbed the cover front and back over a rough surface lightly to help the raised cress weather, I used my cutting block that has cuts in it from my knife blade. Next I put on the tape see pic. Then weathered it by lightly rubbing it with 150 grit sand paper to give that warn look, especially on the corners. Not too much you not want to weaken it. Time to draw in the pic’s,

I tried making the rubber band using brown show polish, and it looked good at first but then flacked off, I will keep trying on that.

41. Jsnbrtn

Jsnbrtn New Member

Hi,
    Great work, I'm about to attempt this myself and this thread has bee a great help, if there is anyway I can help contribute with the missing pages let me know.
    Do you intend to fill all the pages or would some be blank as there are quite a few pages in the moleskin notepad?

Kind regards

Jason.

42. closet geek

closet geek Member

Thanks for the complement.

I have put this one to the side for the moment, as I have gone as far as I could with all the pages I could trace. I was hoping one or two people would contribute filler pages that we all could copy, due to the fact I can not draw very well. As far as blank pages I was thinking that the last 20 or so might be blank or at least just have the heads on them. I hope you can at least use the ones I have done good luck. If you do draw any new pages it would be cool If you could post them here to share.

43. MAKE BELIEVE

MAKE BELIEVE Sr Member

Hi CG

Know you started this some time ago and that the project is aside but have to say you've done a great job. Sadly I don't draw and you and Luke0312 were alone on this work and some pages were missing. But it's a great idea and I intend to give it a try and do one myself so this thread is a great help. Any more updates on this? Congrats and thanks for sharing.

44. closet geek

closet geek Member

Sorry, there are no new updates. PM me if you want some brown book tape and I belive I have a pice of the blue binding stuff. I will send it to you free, to help you out. Oh I don't rember if i went back and put this info, The red paint idea did not work as well as I would of liked, maybe try a small red felt tip pen and just tap on it, but I would try on scrap book frist.

Good luck and keep me up dated.

45. MAKE BELIEVE

MAKE BELIEVE Sr Member

Hey mate

Thanks a lot for your cooperation. Really appreciated :thumbsup :thumbsup
    I have to first finnish my nine gates book and the medusa model kit. But sure want to try and make the note book (have to watch the movie again)
    Pls do save me the brown tape and the blue binding cloth (don't know if I can find any, thank you).
    Hope to get started with it by the end of Jan. I'll let you know
    Thanks

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  46. rorschach999

rorschach999 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

i'd like to make one of these too - hope more pages turn up soon - I might even try my hand at a few myself, If i do i'll post them here for all to share

regards

Mike

47. MAKE BELIEVE

MAKE BELIEVE Sr Member

Finally got some time to "work" on this
    Printed all the pages closet geek did and kindly shared, cuted to size and did the shading. Also got the blue binding piece and aged it.
    Still to do:
    - get a rubber and age it
    - get the brown book tape (if I can't find i'll PM you closet geek :lol)
    - cut the edges round
    - "paint" the red "sparkles" on the pages
    - bind it

Attached Files:

48. MAKE BELIEVE

MAKE BELIEVE Sr Member

After 5 months and with some other projects that got on the way, I have Hugo's notebook done
    Thank you closet geek for making and sharing the pages
    Here are some pics (full project posted on another thread)

Imagen8.jpg Imagen10.jpg

Imagen12.jpg Imagen18.jpg

49. sirciarly

sirciarly Active Member

Great work make believe, what kind of paper do you use for the inner page?

50. MAKE BELIEVE

MAKE BELIEVE Sr Member

Thank you sirciarly
    As I don't know what kind of paper was used on the real prop, I made it the easiest way - everyday paper :D