Hoth Rebel Pilot Jacket: Best Source?

I keep my pilot Luke on display. It one of my favorites out side of vader.

View attachment 1310593

It consists of
Anovos Jacket and coveralls
Darman props belt
Custom Props chest box and vest
Welding gloves
The boots are chinese

I still need flairs, a proper flight cap and blaster.

Other then the lack of sheen the GE jacket looks decent
I've been looking for an ESB style flak vest for some time. I've yet to find an accurate one that offers the lightsaber hooks in the shoulders. Did Custom Props do this or was that modified after? I don't see images of this version on Custom Props website.

Luke is the only one that has the "grenade"hooks. And his vest is on backwards.

A regular vest will do.

And just to clarify what he said, all the pilots in The Empire Strikes Back wore the vests backwards (the adjust strap in the front). My guess is that they thought this looked better because pilots wore the bulky jackets over their flight suit. They went to wearing them front forward again in Return of the Jedi.

Also note, that the image of Luke in flight suit from pre-production A New Hope images such as seen in the visual dictionary, has the vest on backwards as well. This, along with several other details of that image are not consistent with how the costume looked/worn in the movie.

I think that photo might be from among the post-production photos (such as Han with short hair), but either way I suspect that photo is the cause of the "backwards" vests in Empire--the production using it as reference.

I think that photo might be from among the post-production photos (such as Han with short hair), but either way I suspect that photo is the cause of the "backwards" vests in Empire--the production using it as reference.
You may be right. I had assumed they were preproduction since they did not have the hose attached to the suit. I figured that was a last minute modification since the story is that they intended to attach the hose to a mask that attached to the helmet but they ran out of time.

Sorry, I was on my lunch break at work earlier.
Here's a pic of the other pilots with the vest on backwards.
0284.jpg

Yes, clearly a regular vest would do and I have a regular one. I'm still hoping to find someone who offers a version of the flak vest with Luke's hooks in the shoulders. Its a pretty cool detail and we're all about the details. :)

Get a vest and do it yourself. :)

Using this picture, scale it so the blue square on the box is 1"x1".

045 (2).jpg

This will give you a measurement of about 3.25" from just above the rivets down to the bend.
The bend is in the range of just over 1/8" to fit the D ring, then back up another 1".
Top of strip is about 1.5" and tip is 1/4".
Rivet washer is 1/2", rivet head about 5/16"
Center of rivets is 3/4" apart.

You just need 2 strips at around 4.5"x1.5", 4 rivets and 8 washers.

Basic tools needed:
For cutting, hacksaw or Dremel w/ cutting wheel.
File or Dremel w/ grinding bit.
Sand paper for smoothing out the edges.
Needle nose pliers for the bends.
Drill or Dremel for the holes.
Rivet gun.
Exacto knife for making the openings in the vest.

Time depending on tools used around 1/2 hour.

Get a vest and do it yourself. :)

Using this picture, scale it so the blue square on the box is 1"x1".

View attachment 1481292

This will give you a measurement of about 3.25" from just above the rivets down to the bend.
The bend is in the range of just over 1/8" to fit the D ring, then back up another 1".
Top of strip is about 1.5" and tip is 1/4".
Rivet washer is 1/2", rivet head about 5/16"
Center of rivets is 3/4" apart.

You just need 2 strips at around 4.5"x1.5", 4 rivets and 8 washers.

Basic tools needed:
For cutting, hacksaw or Dremel w/ cutting wheel.
File or Dremel w/ grinding bit.
Sand paper for smoothing out the edges.
Needle nose pliers for the bends.
Drill or Dremel for the holes.
Rivet gun.
Exacto knife for making the openings in the vest.

Time depending on tools used around 1/2 hour.
I appreciate the notes! Thank you!

It seems to me that the slits in the flak vest may have a buttonhole stitch around them. It doesn't seem like a simple slit. I'm going to purchase a second flak vest so I can do the modification. Here's an image of my current WIP Hoth Snowspeeder Outfit. :)

Attachments

• Luke Snowspeeder Outfit.jpg
    Luke Snowspeeder Outfit.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 89
I have an Imperial Boots x-wing setup that's pretty nice, but I'm not certain I want to jump in on their Hoth jacket - I'm not super happy with the collar shape and the material color seems to be way too red; there's one for sale in the junkyard right now for reference, plus their own stock images lead me to believe it'll be more red-orange rather than burnt orange/lighter than the flightsuit. Does anybody here have one?
I bought it and regret it. WAY too burnt orange. I tried RIT color remover multiple times to no avail. :/

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back