Hot wire cutters and sheet styrene?

corranhornjje

Sr Member
I've watched them being used to cut the blue/pink foam and other foam materials, but could a hot wire handle smaller thickness of sheet styrene from about 0 to maybe 1/8"? I'm looking to make a little 'table saw' that uses a wire cutter so I can get a lot of repeated straight cuts without having to score and snap as the parts will be pretty small and likely not hold together when trying to snap.

I'm just guessing, but I think it would distort the edge too much to make a straight cut. Plus really thin styrene would warp from the heat.

If it is really thin, have you considered / tried a good pair of heavy sewing scissors? They work pretty good.

And I also don't think the melt zone of the method you are proposing will be satisfactory.

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
rayra wrote:
<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
And I also don't think the melt zone of the method you are proposing will be satisfactory.
</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

Yeah I don't think so as well. We have a giant paper shear here at work that may suffice but the project really hasn't even taken off and with all my other projects it's likely to never get done, but thanks all for the suggestions. Alas it's all a dream.

I think it would be too messy&smell bad.1/8 inch styrene is'nt used much...maybe for framing/planking?I don't score&snap styrene.It is soft enough to cut through with a good sheet rock knife,or exacto blade.Thicker styrene plastic may require a couple passes with the blade,but that's about it.For strait cuts...unless you have a "chopper"(nice tool) &the parts are small,you just need a good metal strait edge.Keep your knife blade close&lined up,and run it flush with the ruler edge.Make a couple passes if you must..it won't hurt anything.For curved,rounded shaps...I cut close,but just to the outside of my line&sand it to the line afterward with a sanding block.Draw right on the styrene,or draw on paper&make patterns...rubber cement them to your plastic.Just watch your fingers..believe me,you don't want to be cutting into your fingers,or your finger tips,you won't be building anything for a while if you do that.It just takes practice.

This thread is more than 19 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back