Hot Toys Predator 1

dedguy

I've been slowly modding my Hot Toys Predator since getting it. I think the only thing I really want to change now is the chest straps. The chest straps will be done the same way as the belt. Weathered leather with punched holes along the edges.

Original un-altered figure (although at this point I had already modded the mask some)

3680181040_7b9595b7b0_b.jpg

3679376835_be6a40efb7_b.jpg

3680196814_114f80a288_b.jpg

Bio mods
3685283002_e9fa86cbc6_o.png

Added tubes to Bio (since the undamaged mask didn't come with any)
3696812018_637d12a112_b.jpg

Leather belt and pouch
3696829172_e66df6c285_b.jpg

3680181040_7b9595b7b0_b.jpg

3680196814_114f80a288_b.jpg

3685283002_e9fa86cbc6_o.png

3696829172_e66df6c285_b.jpg

Nice photo's. Like the modds although I bought 3 Pred 1s and all of their bios looked great, only 1 looked like your stock bio.

My Bios came too narrow too. How did you fix it because yours look a helluva lot better!

Good job on the pouch - looks perfect...

I did the following in addition to not using the mandibles when putting on the mask:

Dropped it in near-boiling water and reshaped the helmet with wider cheeks and a more sloped back dome.
Dremeled out the cheeks taking out the sculpted bits meant to hold onto the mandibles.
Added carpet tape inside the helmet to hold it to the face.

Okay so here's where I'm at and a rundown of changes made.
  1. Helmet reshaped and carved out to correct warping and for it to fit much closer to the face.
  2. Three leather cords added to temple and one to the lower left jaw.
  3. Silver plastic strap from the chest armor to the shoulder was removed, leather strap added.
  4. Black elastic removed from biceps armor and armor attached directly to the mesh suit.
  5. Chest straps replaced with weathered leather straps, additional weathering and film accurate divot added to the buckle.
  6. Plastic belt replaced with a weathered more accurate leather belt.
  7. Plastic pouch replaced with a much more accurate suede pouch.
  8. Leather thongs around forearms weathered.
  9. Weathered leather thongs added around knees.

Check out my flickr for a number-less version of this photo in multiple resolutions: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dedguy/3711508528/

edit: Damn, forgot to mention I also dullcoated the leather part on all the hands.

Last edited by a moderator:
God I need to get me one of them. I may get one the following week. Not sure just yet But I need me one of them soon. o_O

This is by far the most accurate, poseable and detailed P1 figure I have. Best money I spent. Fuk McFarlane and his cash-cow marketing ********. If he spent half the amount of time Hot Toys did, he would have a high demand for his figures.

Ehm, McFarlane did a good job considering the quality his AVP set delivered. Yes, there are some details that are off. Yes, it could've been more. But all and well: those toys cost about $50 (Both Alien and Predator 7 inch, or Alien/Predator 12" scale) while Hottoys/Sideshow accounts a full 160+. Thats three times the money for a marginal better sculpt and better accuracy. I still find it insane to ask for a collectible toy, but will get one just because it's far more accurate.

But Mc Farlane bad? Not really.

After McFarlane's AVP series and all the variants just for the sake of making more money off the people who want them all, I got sick of it. McFarlane wanted more like a statue - a non-poseable figure. Well, I can buy a resin kit thats twice as big, paint it myself and be much happier. After seeing Hot Toys put out the Elder, and then improve it 10 fold with the P1, I cannot look at a McFarlane the same way again. Maybe if I was a kid with a limited budget the McFarlane stuff would be more appealing...

i agree buddy, i mean, i do have almost the entire mcf alien predator collection oop and up in my hallway and since then ive been trying to reacquire them gradually over time and keep those in the packaging, just to have them, in there pristine conditions :) i dont know, i thought they were cool for what they were, of course i was one of those guys that that was all they had was the mcf aliens and predators... untill i stumbled across the hot toys chopper... what a great birthday that was :) anyway, how did i start talking about this?......

anyway i originally meant to comment on this guys mods, which are quite good i must say! i dont know what i was thinking but i didn't even really notice how narrow my P1 mask was untill you pointed it out. i used the hairdryer on it thought, because i was working with the led wire version :) hair dryer and then just ran cold water on the non-electronic parts. anyway thanks though! im still gonna maybe dremel out some of the mask so i dont have to have it without the mandibles, if its possible to make it look that good with mandibles...

After McFarlane's AVP series and all the variants just for the sake of making more money off the people who want them all, I got sick of it. McFarlane wanted more like a statue - a non-poseable figure. Well, I can buy a resin kit thats twice as big, paint it myself and be much happier. After seeing Hot Toys put out the Elder, and then improve it 10 fold with the P1, I cannot look at a McFarlane the same way again. Maybe if I was a kid with a limited budget the McFarlane stuff would be more appealing...
You're missing the point, and the AVP series was way more poseable than the P1.

Yes, the hottoys is better. But it costs 3 times as much for about the same size, is released what, 7 years later and is being build with a different audience in mind.

Hot Toys has produced the best P1 till date, but still is a bit stylized.

i have to say there are other things which could do with a mod. i am in the process of doing it , note the eye's on the mask are not mesh in the film they are more like a 1 way mirror /glassy texture / and all so the dreds on this pred are way too short a mod here is needed . il post pics of my new mod soon to show what i mean ,

Excellent pics!
This is the best Predator 1 that I've seen so far and I've gotta get one myself.
The only thing thats putting me off though is that when I looked in to getting one the armour looked blue [ as you can see below ] and no where near as realistic as your one.

3788899988c3c03e3295.jpg.png

I think it's more than just the lighting although I could be wrong, but did you paint the armour on yours aswell ?

3788899988c3c03e3295.jpg.png

If i got one I would take the dreads out of his head and glue them back on to wear they went straight down. Like the picture I don't know why the hell they are slicked back like that.

Can anyone tell me hoe long the battereslast on the targeter?

I opened my up yesterday, put the batteries in and left it switched on for about 30mins.

Now the lights are dim. I would've expected the batteries to last longer than 30mins?! :)

Can anyone tell me hoe long the battereslast on the targeter?

I opened my up yesterday, put the batteries in and left it switched on for about 30mins.

Now the lights are dim. I would've expected the batteries to last longer than 30mins?! :)
i read somethin' somewhere that someone at hot toys wrote (i think) and they said the batteries should last for about 10 hours?!?! so if yours are already goin' bad then maybe the batteries they included were bad cause i've had mine lit up for much longer than that here and there and they're fine. you may have to just get some new batteries buddy that sucks man...

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back