Hot toys Ed-209 weathering repaint

YakRak

Hi guys! :)

My my first time posting here, just wanted to show a project I worked on last year while I’m starting a newer project, which I will post later.

Picked up one of these from like a bargain bucket toy shop, no box, missing a lot of accessories and the dredded dome cracking problem was present. So the guy was selling it off cheap and being a big fan of Robocop, I couldn’t pass it up!

So I thought instead of trying to restore to factory clean production, i’d go the other way and grunge it to give it more of a story, since I’m quite a big fan of good weathering on models. Since this was the first time of me doing something like this, I didn’t wanna respray the whole thing (I’m lazzyy lol) so instead just worked with the base coat and added weathering details with mainly AK interactive weathering paints.

Anyway hope u like, something a bit different from the off the production line look you usually see with him :D

94C43CAD-8833-4C84-9CFC-F60DD51E3A94.jpegB5C24404-021B-445D-99F2-DA6D6140BCE2.jpeg074CAD77-EB5E-495C-937F-C6269531EAB5.jpegCD498C06-118A-4990-9FA6-428418D98D67.jpegBD693311-739E-47AC-9FC7-451B18E52BA4.jpeg

Dude that looks amazing, well done! If you dont mind me asking, how much did you score the ED 209 for? I was just curious cuase those retail for quite a bit. Stunning work.

Thats really looks great. I'd love one for sure but never could afford one. How much is a hot toys one anyways? Saw another brand for $400.
Also, you have any pictures before you added the weathering? Be nice to compare.

Thanks for the comments everyone! :)

Dude that looks amazing, well done! If you dont mind me asking, how much did you score the ED 209 for? I was just curious cuase those retail for quite a bit. Stunning work.

I think I was quite lucky, I managed to haggle it down to around 80 USD, but it wasn't in mint shape for sure. Still for that price, I def don't mind experimenting on it..........400 bucks is another matter though :p

Thats really looks great. I'd love one for sure but never could afford one. How much is a hot toys one anyways? Saw another brand for $400.
Also, you have any pictures before you added the weathering? Be nice to compare.

Yeah I think its still retails for 300+? Even though I'm a massive fan, I wouldn't pay that! I don't have any before pics but its pretty much the stock original paint job you can see here:
https://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/robocop-ed-209-hot-toys-902058/

Do you mind sharing what AK products you used for the brown mottling and streaking? It looks fantastic.

Sure! - For the leaky marks, I mainly used this streaky grime paint https://ak-interactive.com/product/streaking-grime/ and this for general dirt https://ak-interactive.com/product/engine-grime/ . I also made my own pigment by just grinding some art pastels to add into the nooks and joints just for a bit of texture change, so it gives that accumulated dirt or rusty feeling.

Sure! - For the leaky marks, I mainly used this streaky grime paint https://ak-interactive.com/product/streaking-grime/ and this for general dirt https://ak-interactive.com/product/engine-grime/ . I also made my own pigment by just grinding some art pastels to add into the nooks and joints just for a bit of texture change, so it gives that accumulated dirt or rusty feeling.

I tried those a while back but didn't like the result - I guess it's time to get them back out!

I read somewhere that a mark of an expert modeler is when a viewer can't easily determine the base material of the kit. You've definitely achieved that here--I'm not familiar with the Hot Toys figure you are using here, and I have no idea whether it's plastic, metal, resin, or what. It just looks like a real robot to me! Nice work.

I tried those a while back but didn't like the result - I guess it's time to get them back out!

I read somewhere that a mark of an expert modeler is when a viewer can't easily determine the base material of the kit. You've definitely achieved that here--I'm not familiar with the Hot Toys figure you are using here, and I have no idea whether it's plastic, metal, resin, or what. It just looks like a real robot to me! Nice work.

thank you! - I’m by no means an expert for sure. To be honest it was the first time I was using the paints so had no idea what to expect, but there is a good demo and tututorial of them in action if you look at the AK YouTube channel, which helped me a lot.

from my experience though, i’d go very minimal with the application of the paint and it’s actually the paint thinner and dry brush work which actually creates the blending to make it convincing. It’s like 25% paint, 75% thinner strokes to blend it into the base and the odd accidental brush mark ;)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back