Hot Toys 1/6 scale Back to the future DeLorean Time Machine - Custom Desert Car

ShortWookie

Hello all! Not too long ago I purchased The Hot Toys 1/6 scale DeLorean time machine. That thing is a real beauty! It lacked in accessories for the price, but I couldn't resist. Ever since I was a kid, I remember seeing that awesome ILM photo of Steve Gawley next to a scaled model DeLorean time machine used for the special effects at the end of part one. Ever since that seeing photo, I always wished to own it. Well, roll over to early this year, that dream came to a reality, thanks to the Hot Toys company.
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

It was missing one major part to make this car complete...

...the hook used at the end of the film. This bugged me a great deal, so I decided to make one.
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

...But, the part 3 desert car was always my favorite version. It's in fact what this thread is about. Me converting a part one DeLorean, to a part three Desert Car DeLorean with the 50's wheels, raised suspension, hood box, and all.

So I did what any other crazy collector would do. I bought a second one, (which just arrived), for the full intent of customizing it.

So I apologize if this thread seems a bit plain. It's mostly photos of my progress.

I had posted all these photos at another thread in "Collectables" regarding Back to the future, but a member brought it to my attention to just start my own thread else where.

... So here we go. Nothing but but progress pics. ;)

Here we go, first I start by updating the wiring and cable work along the car. I added a bright red and yellow to stand out, just as it did on film.
Before:
image.jpegimage.jpeg

After:
image.jpegimage.jpeg

This is the last of the pics at the moment. Now your caught up and up to date. I'll post more photos within the next few days as I am close to finishing the hood box.
There are a couple of items in the hood box that were not in the original. This is due to the void or gaps between each component when I miscalculated the spacing. Considering it's a one off, I'm happy with it. ;)
image.jpegimage.jpeg

Great job!!! will definitely order one very soon, I love the 1/6 scale which makes a impressive display piece.

Looks really good. That hood box is perfect, even if you had to add a few parts. I'm terrible at understanding scale, how big is 1/6 in inches? I see it looks pretty big.

Another update. I added some wiring detail. I still have about 4 more tiny wires to add, two elbow pipe's, and a few extra tiny parts and I'll be done with the hood box.
I already have the leather belts, but thats the final step when all said and done.
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Some well-done moderate weathering (desert dirt) would absolutely make this.

IIRC the filming minatures were about 1/6th scale too. They had a really detailed one for BTTF#2 for the flying scenes.

One note on the side of the box, it had pepsi cola markings, you can make either vinyl or water decals and the apply, I did a small gift inspired by box and stained, it looked great.
looking good. You will have to make a Clint Eastwood Marty now.

Yes you're right.
... No worries, I have not forgotten the old Pepsi-cola logo. The handle and belt is just a test fitting. The Pepsi logo I will be printed out as a decal, then I will clear coat it, then dull it down for some minor wear. Although in reality the wearing will begin when the model is done.

As for an Eastwood Marty, I did not even think that far. But what a tempting project. ;)

If that's a BTTF I DeLorean, don't you have to add Mr. Fusion on the back as well?

After a quick Google, those are 1/6th DeLoreans are expensive, but not as expensive as I thought... Still not buying one, though ;)

I bet you can't even pick it up and fly it around the house.

If that's a BTTF I DeLorean, don't you have to add Mr. Fusion on the back as well?

After a quick Google, those are 1/6th DeLoreans are expensive, but not as expensive as I thought... Still not buying one, though ;)

I bet you can't even pick it up and fly it around the house.

Honestly I wouldn't want to fly it around the house, it's too frail. ;)

...and yes, That's right, Mr. Fusion is on my to do list.
...Even though Hot Toys is advertising a part 2 version, I won't hold my breath. I'm still waiting for the 1/6 scale 1966 Batmobile that was shown off years ago and now it's come to reality that it will never happen. So I'm basically anticipating that this part 1 DeLorean will be the only version released. Specially since they had way to many cut backs on this model alone. Either way, it's been fun. I'm looking forward to finishing this desert car version.:cool

Hopefully tomorrow I'll get a chance to work with the mini vintage Pepsi-cola decals, for the mean time I'm prepping the leather belts. After that, this will be my stopping point until tomorrow evening.
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    758.2 KB · Views: 237
For the white wall steelies there was a 1/6 Lindberg hotrod kit that has plain steel wheels with white wall tires with baby moon hub caps that may work.

For the white wall steelies there was a 1/6 Lindberg hotrod kit that has plain steel wheels with white wall tires with baby moon hub caps that may work.

Ooh, I'll have to check that out. I think they were 1/8th instead. No matter, I'll check it out.

Originally, I was planning on using the tires and wheels from an old Barbie 58 Chevy bel air. The tires are slightly bigger than anticipated, so yea I'm still on the lookout. Thanks for your suggestion. :)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back