Horten Flying Wing HO-229 1/18 Scale-Completed Pics 5-28

yt

Sr Member
Resin kit in 1/18 scale (GI Joe size), I started by washing off all the parts with Comet.

img1010p.jpg

img1011kc.jpg

This project got bumped for the 229... :(
dscn0081t.jpg

Some filling, just minor pinholes for the most part, nothing to speak of for a kit of this complexity.
dscn0075s.jpg

Dremmel mix up
dscn0074n.jpg

The fit on this one exhaust is problematic, the other is perfect.
dscn0078m.jpg

Painting the engines
dscn0080bs.jpg

Priming with self-etching primer.
dscn0093s.jpg

dscn0090j.jpg

Lots of bits!
dscn0091n.jpg

dscn0092j.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Horton Flying Wing HO-229 1/18 Scale

I love the design of this plane and all the Horton wing designs that were proposed and can't wait to see more. I never saw a kit of one before.

How much and where do I get one? In 1998, I got to touch the 229 at the Garber Facility in Silver Hill MD... poor thing is delaminating like CRAZY!

Wow, the only large ones I've only seen have been scratch built.

As a heads up the swastikas on the tail where added after it was sent to the US (not present in any of the capture / crate up pix).

PS it's Horten. Just nitpicking. :p

What a kit!!!

Jason, as usual, I'm jealous as hell. And the delamination is continuing from what pics I've seen. :( They better do something, or they're gonna lose her. The tragedy is that this is a highly replica-friendly airframe, but also deteriorating fast...

How much and where do I get one? In 1998, I got to touch the 229 at the Garber Facility in Silver Hill MD... poor thing is delaminating like CRAZY!

It should be a crime for planes to be left to rot like that. I saw a special on this on Natgeo and the Smithsonian has one rotting in their warehouse instead of being fixed up. Looks like they have a ton of stuff that will never be displayed.

Thought I read recently they are starting to restore it.
They are trying to figure out the formula used for the glue used to laminate the wood.

How much and where do I get one?

I paid $300 for mine, but I was one of the originators of the project. I think he has raised the price for the kit to $350. I think it is a real bargain considering the size and complexity. They are still available, all his all his kits are in production including this one. I have his contact information if anyone is interested, just PM me. I don't want to post his info on a public board.

In 1998, I got to touch the 229 at the Garber Facility in Silver Hill MD... poor thing is delaminating like CRAZY!

I am so jealous! :eek

I paid $300 for mine, but I was one of the originators of the project. I think he has raised the price for the kit to $350. I think it is a real bargain considering the size and complexity. They are still available, all his all his kits are in production including this one. I have his contact information if anyone is interested, just PM me. I don't want to post his info on a public board.

I am so jealous! :eek

She's at Udvar-Hazy now, just sitting in the open. It sits under the Enola Gay.
Watching this build in breathless wonder!!

12254-dscf3138.jpg

Re: Horten Flying Wing HO-229 1/18 Scale

Um, that's not the 229 V3. What is it, a VII maybe?

Last edited:

Ugh . . .it was late and I got excited over the build. I think that's a glider version or something. Here's the right one. Pic from Wikipedia

12255-horten-ho-229-smithsonian-front.jpg

Not much of an update, just dry fitting it. I have to tackle the gap in the wings next. It looks so impressive with the wings fitted.

imagefha.jpg

Big arse wheel!

imagefhh.jpg

The wing seams were real rough to fill. I really wish I would have spent more time fitting and aligning them. It would have saved me a ton of time and putty. I got the bare metal I plan on leaving behind the engines painted also.

imagenjg.jpg

imagedsr.jpg

Hello YT Looking Good with the kit
I also love the Ho 229 and like to purchase this kit!!!! Can you pass the info to me or to the maker of this lovely kit, so I get my hands on one?

Also did you see the National Geographic ducumentary. Hitler's Stealth Fighter? Northrop's model dept. made a 1/4 scale model for radar tests. the model is now at the San Diegeo Air and Space Museum. Northrop’s small one-man prototype (N9M-B) and a Horton wing-only glider are located in the Chino Air Museum in Southern California Cheers Vandy1

Got the filling done, it is not perfect but will have to do:

imageosv.jpg

imagegfro.jpg

imagepoj.jpg

Laid down the base coat:

imagekvk.jpg

It looks very green and glossy, but subsequent processes will take care of that. (Hopefully)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back