COMPLETE *new pics* Homemade Spidey Suit (Not Homecoming)

Logermeister

Here's a project I've wanted to do ever since I was 14! As per the title, I'm creating my own suit in true Parker fashion. No dye subs, no lens kits. Just a man, some colored spandex, and his sewing machine! I'm not trying to replicate any design in particular. Just a classic Spidey with a few personal touches. I've got a fair bit done already, but I've got a ways to go (pardon the bathroom selfie):
IMG_20190512_142828971.jpg

I've always loved the textured suits we've seen on film, so I wanted to reproduce that effect on mine. I don't trust either my hand or my patience, so that ruled out puff paint on plain lycra. Instead, I scoured eBay and Etsy and found some textured fabrics that fit the bill!

A 4 way stretch athletic mesh for the red portions:
FB_IMG_1558151514687.jpg

And an indescribably beautiful spandex knit for the blue:
FB_IMG_1558151511782.jpg

I sacrificed an old morphsuit to create my patterns, got to cutting, and sewed up the pants, shirt, and mask:
IMG_20190129_013448077_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190401_023901807.jpg
IMG_20190513_211504908.jpg

I love how the textures look together.
IMG_20190401_023435943.jpg

Next, a webbing test! With all this surface detail going on, it'd be a shame not to have raised webbing. Despite me not trusting my hand with puff paint, I figure I can at least handle this much. I mixed up a concoction of mold builder liquid latex, puff paint, and some black acrylic paint then applied it to a test swatch with a condiment bottle.
IMG_20190408_182040_929.jpg

Not too shabby! I'll have to steady my hand just a bit, but it's much easier to keep the lines straight if I lay them on thicker.

A big thing I have in mind for my suit is practicality. The greatest issue I've had with traditional Spidey suits is bathroom breaks. It's always a hassle to have to take off essentially the entire costume whenever I need relief. For that reason, I've made the pants and shirt joinable with zippers.
IMG_20190518_004008873.jpg
IMG_20190518_004054111.jpg

In addition to that, the gloves, mask and boots will all be removable. If it all works out according to plan, I'll be able to suit up just like Peter does in the comics! ️

That's all for now. More coming soon!

Last edited:
Awesome job. Definitely be watching out for your progress. Any ideas for the lenses? And do you intend to use a faceshell/or some form of it under the mask?

No definite design for the eyes is set, but I'm very partial to this one at the moment:
marvel-spider-man-legendary-scale-figure-sideshow-400149-24.jpg

As for a faceshell, I've decided to go without. I promote in costume, and prefer not to take off my mask when kids are around. This has made eating a challenge, to say the least! Without a shell, I can just lift the mask up to my nose to eat while safely maintaining my identity. It took many, many tries to get the mask fit perfect. Not too loose, not too tight!

Attachments

• marvel-spider-man-legendary-scale-figure-sideshow-400149-24.jpg
    marvel-spider-man-legendary-scale-figure-sideshow-400149-24.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 655
Do you have any tips on how to eat without taking off your mask all the way? Whenever I try to do it the lenses touch my eyeballs or the lenses go further up my head.

No definite design for the eyes is set, but I'm very partial to this one at the moment:
View attachment 1020689

As for a faceshell, I've decided to go without. I promote in costume, and prefer not to take off my mask when kids are around. This has made eating a challenge, to say the least! Without a shell, I can just lift the mask up to my nose to eat while safely maintaining my identity. It took many, many tries to get the mask fit perfect. Not too loose, not too tight!
The lenses are a great look imo.

And I totally get where you're coming from. I usually go with one of those silicone mouth shell thingy off AliExpress just for the form and it works well.

Attachments

• chat_20190330_131411.jpg
    chat_20190330_131411.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 384
  • chat_20190330_131552.jpg
    chat_20190330_131552.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 372
I finally got some time to work on the suit a bit more. Nothing major, just drawing on the webbing.

IMG_20190702_194516_682.jpgIMG_20190702_195123_857.jpgIMG_20190702_195123_859.jpg

I'll have to remake the mask. I got a bit careless while gluing on the lenses, and a drop landed right on the forehead :( It looks like the neck could stand to be a little longer as well. Oh well, fifteenth time's the charm!

Last edited:
Your suit looks great!! This is how I envisioned his costume from early comics. The modern movie ones all look too manufactured, even Tobie McGuire's. At least with Tom Holland they gave a good reason his suit was so super professional.

I now have the beginnings of boots! I plan to attach a pair of water shoes inside, then I'll need to figure out a way to keep them from sliding down my legs. I'm leaning towards snaps or hooks.

20190704_151010.jpg

And the last piece of this fabric puzzle, the gloves! Nothing complicated here. I just traced my hand onto the fabric, double layered, and sewed. I did the palm in plain lycra for an extra bit of stretch. As awesome as this mesh spandex is, it's not quite as stretchy as standard lycra.

20190704_152014.jpg20190704_151926.jpg

I'll be adding some puff paint grips on the fingertips and palms for longevity. I think I'll build some clunky-yet-streamlined webshooters to hide the transition from glove to sleeve, as well!

Your suit looks great, the puff paint came out nice...!!!
What I've done is make a 2 part shell, I can remove the front for air, to drink, eat, etc, I can do this with my back turned and then slide on the front in a second. I also wear glasses and a compression mask wont work.
armored-spider-man-mk1-shell.png

Your suit looks great, the puff paint came out nice...!!!
What I've done is make a 2 part shell, I can remove the front for air, to drink, eat, etc, I can do this with my back turned and then slide on the front in a second. I also wear glasses and a compression mask wont work.
View attachment 1035738
I appreciate the compliment, but I haven't actually puff painted yet :p This is just the guidelines in marker. Maybe I won't have to puff paint if it looks this good already!

Last edited:
A bit more progress to be had. Now the mask is fully webbed:

20190710_224717.jpg20190710_224758.jpg

And a full suit up! (Censored for obvious reasons) Still far from complete, and those wrinkles on the lower back concern me. I might try taking it in a tad, but I'm limited by the zippers. Too much and I won't be able to pull it over my head :unsure:

20190713_114556.jpg20190711_232954.jpg

I made my own stylized chest emblem. When I get to puff painting, I think I'll do this in metallic black to stand out from the webs.

20190712_125433.jpg20190712_152117.jpg

And boots! I had originally planned to permanently attach a pair of water shoes as soles, but I'd like this suit to be machine washable so I've devised a way to make them removable. They're essentially oversized socks, and the water shoes slip inside. I'll spray the bottom with many layers of plasti-dip to protect the fabric from wear and tear, and prevent me from sliding around on smooth surfaces.

20190713_002828.jpg20190713_002701.jpg20190713_002753.jpg

Dude! This costume is amazing. It's awesome to see the progression of your project. You did a brilliant job. The webbing looks fantastic and your emblem should look awesome with that metallic black puff paint.
When I was little I watched my uncle make his Spiderman costume and was just fascinated by the process and attention to detail. You're doing a hell of a job-can't wait to see the completed version. Keep up the spectacular work.

The entire torso is now webbed! I'll need to add stirrups to the sleeves to keep them from sliding up my arms.

20190801_031107.jpg

Now to figure out the back spider. It's a toss up between puff paint, fabric spray paint, and top sewing red fabric. I'll definitely be going with the classic "fat tick" look, though subdivided to match the style of the chest spider.

The entire torso is now webbed! I'll need to add stirrups to the sleeves to keep them from sliding up my arms.

View attachment 1043965

Now to figure out the back spider. It's a toss up between puff paint, fabric spray paint, and top sewing red fabric. I'll definitely be going with the classic "fat tick" look, though subdivided to match the style of the chest spider.
Great work so far!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back