Homemade Original Green Ranger Helmet

dariang

I just signed up and posted this on Rangerboard, because I thought they would be into it. Turns out I was wrong. They told me that this was me spamming merchandise and closed my thread. Anyways, maybe you will all appreciate it. (For the record, I'm not trying to sell this)

Rangerboard post:
Hey everyone. This is my first post, so if it's in the wrong area, please let me know.
I joined because I just built this helmet and wanted to share it with you all.

The point was to experiment with different techniques to piece them together and finish them off, as I'm working towards a full Iron Man suit. I know there are legacy helmets you can get at stores, but they have the hinges on the side, and I don't really like that. I made this one without hinges and it works really well!

I 3D Printed the parts. The largest part took 24 hours:
3pM2mwf.jpg XW4iFeD.jpg

I tried sanding only some of the pieces directly:
k8fjOHv.jpg

I then glued them together and applied a coat of XTC-3D. I found it helps reduce the amount of sanding, but also reduces the amount of detail you can get later on:
I3YXr2I.jpg

I used bondo to fill the join-edges:
nuJI6FY.jpg

I then applied my first coat of primer paint, which showed a lot of the blemishes:
nt653XJ.jpg
This part really reinforced that I should have sanded the whole thing before applying the XTC-3D.

I patched up the blemishes with bondo, which gave this cool look:
iOmAi0i.jpg

Then I did a couple of coats of the green paint:
xPK3TOv.jpg
I used a green metal colour. I knew I wouldn't achieve 100% show accuracy, so I wanted to kind of make it my own. This colour is darker, looks super cool, and I think a little more awesome.

Then the silver paint and white paint:
zCxhPvg.jpg

And then the visor, lines, and gold/red gem at the top:
1lw1c4C.jpg

I'm still doing some minor touch ups to the paint and lines, but here's how it looks on my head:
9s6g3KY.jpg PPhs5jb.jpg ZY7KVXq.jpg

And my sister having a glass of wine:
DmgYXCi.jpg

Please feel free to provide feedback, and I'll do my best to answer any questions
045.gif

Thanks for reading!

DmgYXCi.jpg

3pM2mwf.jpg

XW4iFeD.jpg

k8fjOHv.jpg

I3YXr2I.jpg

nuJI6FY.jpg

nt653XJ.jpg

iOmAi0i.jpg

xPK3TOv.jpg

zCxhPvg.jpg

1lw1c4C.jpg

9s6g3KY.jpg

PPhs5jb.jpg

ZY7KVXq.jpg

Last edited:
Helmet work is spam? That's new, lol. Haven't been on RB for a while.... seems like it's quiet on there.

Nice job on the helmet! I don't like the Legacy helmets because they are way too big for my little head

Hey there, the helmet looks great.

I looked over at RB, looks like Decade closed your thread as per the RB rules. You just need to make 10 non-spam post (ie. not "next" "kool" etc.) then you can make a new post in merchandise.

Decade is very fair, but they've had their share of problems with users over the years and are just strict with their rules.

Btw, did you model the helmet yourself?

You just need to make 10 non-spam post (ie. not "next" "kool" etc.) then you can make a new post in merchandise.
I guess the thing that doesn't make sense is that this helmet isn't merchandise as I'm not trying to sell it. I just wanted to share the process and finished product with the group there, as I thought they would appreciate it. Oh well, It's the only Power Ranger thing I'll be making for awhile, so I'll just keep it on here. And no, I did not model it myself. I found these files in a database of a bunch of 3D files, and I couldn't figure out who was the original creator. This database had all of the Ranger helmets.

(Both) Looking very cool ! Thanks for sharing !
Thanks so much! (I'm trying to figure out how to edit out the large images at the bottom of the thread)

Nice job on the helmet! I don't like the Legacy helmets because they are way too big for my little head
Thanks! Yeah this one fits pretty well, and I padded the inside so it's super snug.

I guess the thing that doesn't make sense is that this helmet isn't merchandise as I'm not trying to sell it. I just wanted to share the process and finished product with the group there, as I thought they would appreciate it. Oh well, It's the only Power Ranger thing I'll be making for awhile, so I'll just keep it on here. And no, I did not model it myself. I found these files in a database of a bunch of 3D files, and I couldn't figure out who was the original creator. This database had all of the Ranger helmets.

Yeah, you are right about that, it's not really merch, I dunno, I think anything that is tangible goes in the merchandise forum, where when ppl are talking about episodes and actors etc, it goes in Discussions. Doesn't sound right to me either but anyways, great job again.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back