homemade dread rings

Bend & Bake clay can be good. It's not super cheap but its customizable. Bake it and it's rubbery and permanantly shaped.

PVC piping can be carved up nicely too.

My friend Amy made dread rings by rolling Sculpey polymer clay around wooden dowel forms, then sculpting and tooling patterns into them, and then baking them in a toaster oven. I haven't worked with the Bake & Bend clay yet, so I don't know if it's any better for dread rings than the rigid stuff, but the rigid clay has worked just fine for me.

I haven't worked with the Bake & Bend clay yet, so I don't know if it's any better for dread rings than the rigid stuff, but the rigid clay has worked just fine for me.
It's a Sulpey product. I used it on my sons mask for teeth and think it's well suited for that. My dread rings were made from it too. But your right, as far as dread rings go, I can't see there being a difference in rigid or rubbery.

If you're good with a dremel/rotary tool, you can go to your local hardware store and buy various couplers for PVC piping, just the plain white stuff you use for irrigation. Draw a design on there with a pencil or pen, dremel them down, sand with a fine grit paper if you want them smooth, paint and BAM, dread rings. I'd suggest 1/2, 3/4 and 1 inch couplers.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back