Homemade AVP inspired Canon V2.0 New Photos added

VinMan

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I posted a homemade canon out of household stuff a while ago and I've had some questions
as to how this was constructed so here ya go.
I sold the first canon on ebay to another Lair member because
I came up with a design improvement and It helps to fund the project.

Here are the final painted images

Here is basically how the new and improved one is constructed.
The body is built around a dummy security camera purchased from Harbor Freight Tools for under $5.00.
It has a motion detector and a motor that sweeps from side to side.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=94030

The rounded drum on the rear top is made from PVC pipe connectors and beveled end caps from Home Depot in the plumbing supplies section.
There is an opening in the center I filled with a cap to a vitamin bottle so the recess is facing out. Inside the recess
center of that I used the back plate Dremel cut from a CD jewel case. The part you depress to remove the CD with the
little pointed teeth set around a circle.

I removed the lens from the camera and found a small PVC drain pipe at the Home Depot, with a slight taper and it
fit perfectly over the lip holding the lens (You can see the part number right in the pic HD9786).

from there I just cut pieces of foam core shapes and hot glued them together based on some other canon construction
I have seen on the Lair and used the AVP Uber Canon as my influence. After the basic shapes were done I continued to
form it with small pieces of craft foam and tons of pieces I have scrounged up from the office and home including.
Calculator buttons, Pen caps cut short, ribbing from toys hoses, etc
at that point you just have to think creatively

I'll post a most recent photo of the canon painted black before silver metal detail coat later today or tomorrow
and updated information on the construction that has transpired since this earlier photo was taken. I will make sure to use a better
camera so the detail comes through. (these photos were shot from my Iphone)

Hope this thread helps and encourages those on a tight budget
total cost is dirt cheap

Dummy Security Camera $4.79
Foam Core Board $2.00
Craft foam $2.00
PVC Pipe Fittings $7.50
Misc Parts and junk scrounged free
canon_2.jpg

canon_side2.jpg

canon_front.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great work there sir, had much the same idea inspired by some others on the forum a while ago but my finish was not nearly as impressive as yours.

http://www.thehunterslair.com/index.php?sh...p;hl=PREDMANIAC

The linkage that drives the cctv camera is not very robust as I have found out to my cost so be careful when in costume as you can loose the canon with a slight knock or just wear and tear as the whole thing is held on by a small screw to allow the panning motion.

But it is a great foundation for your canon as you have a built in power supply and the motion is driven from the canon so you dont need external cabling etc. I have added a TRI laser to the side of mine aswell. Here is my latest adaptation of the canon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vinmanmac,

Excellent job, great use of economical materials, and all-round innovation!

It could also double as a hand cannon, with that base it looks like a pistol grip..... could it be made longer?

---
Ei'luj

Good thought, I could saw off the base and connect a device that clamps on both sides with a joint in it that has screw so it could rotate
When I get my backpack finished I will figure out something that works well. just a matter of time

thanks for the input!

I think this deserves a bump as making a plasma castor is on my next to do list. Amazing piece of work guys. Hope to have mine started very shortly. Im getting the bug to work on my suit again

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back