Home Made Vacuum chamber

gavidoc

Sr Member
Buddy of mine wants to make one. I know htat some tutorials have been posted before.

Anyone have any links for homemade vacuum chambers that I can direct him to?

I've got one that uses 2 large square sheets of 3/4" acrylic, 2 rubber rings, and one section of large PVC tube (12"s internal diameter or so) with a small hole for a regulator and air valve on the side. It's stacked like a sandwich, acrylic sheet, rubber ring, PVC tube, rubber ring, acrylic sheet. To get internal vacuum to start, you usually have to put pressure on the top square. The top acrylic square allows you to view the bubbling as it occurs.

I've not done a vac chamber, but vac-tables, yes. What I have seen most folks use the vac-chamber for is degassing resin and or silicone molds. Most use a harbor freight pressure pot.

Jim

I have a friend that uses a 5 gallon bucket and a 1 inch thinck clear acrylic plate for the top. The acrylic is drilled for a valve. The silicon is mixed in a bowl put into the bucket, the plate is put on top, the vacumm hose connected and the valve flipped open. Once open you can watch through to see when the silicon bubbles clear.

It's great fun to watch.

I believe that he's referring to one of these:
6N12-11ROUND-SMALL.JPG

I'm building one but don't have time to create or post a tutorial.
They are not difficult to make but they aren't Cheap.

That five gallon bucket he mentioned above is like what I use, but seems far more practical in terms of cost. With only one open end, it would be easier to use too.

I wouldn't drill the acrylic though. I'd drill the bucket. Put you a brass fitting that allows you to connect the regulator and a vacuum pump to it and make sure all your fittings have teflon tape.

A pressure pot is different. Pressure is used to atomize bubbles in resin after it is poured. Whereas a vacuum chamber is used to make the air rise from silicone before it is poured.

How about an old pressure cooker?

I used a jar hooked up to my car engines vacuum a few times. The gauge can hit 30 if you blip the throttle. Just be sure the engine doesn't suck up anything. That would suck.

I think what gavidoc was referring to for his friend was for the purpose of Degassing Silicone,
for doing that you would need a clear top to view the degassing process so that you don't
make a big mess. And so you know when the Silicone is ready.

I used a big Aluminum Pot that some people use for Boiling Turkeys, and the only thing I have left
is to buy and modify the Acrylic Lid.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(propsculptor @ Apr 19 2006, 02:06 PM) [snapback]1229224[/snapback]</div>
I think what gavidoc was referring to for his friend was for the purpose of Degassing Silicone,
for doing that you would need a clear top to view the degassing process so that you don't
make a big mess. And so you know when the Silicone is ready.

I used a big Aluminum Pot that some people use for Boiling Turkeys, and the only thing I have left
is to buy and modify the Acrylic Lid.
[/b]

haha it helps if you read. reading is fun

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back