Home made oil based clay

Danhorse

Guys,

I am new to the forum, i posted an intro in the intro thread. Having done a couple of searches about which clay to use for a bio, i see there is no mention (that i have found) so maybe this could be of help..

Oil based clay DIY recipe

I have found a couple of recipes on the net for making your own oil based clay, has anyone done this and does it work out ok?

If no one has tried this it may be a good thing to think about! save dosh where you can....

Cheers

Dan

Dude.

At a glance this recipe honestly seems like alot of work and alot of materials.

Although the materials may be cheap, the time you are gonna waste fooling around with the mixtures is probably gonna drive you mad number1 and number2 make a hell of a mess!

Buying oil based clay may cost you extra cashola. BUT it will pay in dividends on your final sculpture turning out nice!

Invest in it. Save money elsewhere. That is my advice.

wow that sounds like a lot of work just make the clay, then you gotta still sculpt. i would just break down and buy the clay. plenty of places to get it from and it lasts a long time. im going on year 2, almost three, and my clay is still great even after heating it multiple times in a crock pot.
save your headaches for molding

Hmmm... interesting read. But, I'm going to have to agree with what's already been said.

Firstly, I'm not about to stink up my kitchen with the fragrant aroma of boiling engine oil and axle-grease. Secondly, that recipe doesn't inspire too much confidence---I still can't get past the motor oil.

Anyhow, yeah... just buy the Oil Clay. I would recommend that you find a local supplier - i.e. a store that focuses solely on artist supplies and materials. Sure, it adds up in cost, but what you're doing is investing in a medium that you can literally use for years. Oil-based clay never dries out, and the more you use it, the better the stuff gets.

Now that I think about it, you'd probably end up spending more money on materials to make the clay. You'd probably have to spend time getting the consistency right and to your preference.

Yeah i can see where are coming from, i was just surprised how pricey the stuff is...... but yeah, its one less thing to worry about!

if this scales nicely, it would be nice to try out once for a larger ammount of clay.

Then again, with a little searching, some reasonable clay can be found too.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back