Home cnc machine suggestions?

Kreativebox

Just wondering what cnc machines everyone would suggest? I have been between a cnc and laser cutter for a long time. There is so many options and different styles, this would be for my studio at home and max bed size really I would need would be about 50 in x 50 in. If anyone currently has one or any suggestions would be appreciated, budget really isnt limited, if its worth it I will add to the budget.
Anything info or model suggestions is appreciated.
Thank you

It really depends what you are trying to build. They both are very different tools (assuming you meant a CNC router). What materials are you planning on using? Do you have adequate ventilation?

TazMan2000

You can do both or a type of machine that has exchangeable toolheads with open source options. You should take a look at the MPCNC forums for inspiration at least even if you build a different type of machine. However - if you really want to use the CNC for max precision and mill bigger stuff I would go with proper liner rails and bearings and what you can get a hold of will probably be your limiting factor as far as size goes. Given this I would avoid 3D printed parts if I want to make a sturdy machine, but if you are not looking to mill thick stuff at higher speeds I guess you would be fine.

I have yet to find one design that I think trumps them all or does what I need. I am looking at many builds and noting what I like. The Indymill I feel is a pretty good simple design, but I would prefer Damien's setup (second video). I am leaning towards a vertical build myself to save on space. The bigger machine you make the more thought you have to put into the actual base. A torsion box type of construction is a must and there are plenty of ways to do that too. Taow did a version that looks pretty sturdy (third video), but I don't agree with the rail placement of the Y-axis myself.

Generally your use case will dictate what type of design will suit you best like Tazman said.

Are you talking about a (cnc) router? or a true CNC multi-axis mill?

I have a (hobby) laser cutter...

and 'manual' lathe and mill..

I think the type of material you want to use, thickness of said material...etc will help narrow your options down.

50in x50in is pretty big...... and 'seems' more in line with a CNC router..

Build List | OpenBuilds is a nice place to look around at different machines..etc

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back