Holy Grail Paint Tutorial?

NeoRutty

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Years ago on this forum I found a link to how to paint and weather a Holy Grail from Last Crusade...

I have searched all over and can't find... not even sure who did it.

Anyone remember this?

Thanks guys!

-EL

I used rust-o-leum red oxide primer, a grey tone pain, and gold leaf.

looking at your profile, I'm wondering was it YOU who had the original vid up for it?

You just look really familair. Thanks though! That's along what I was thinking after looking at PHOTOS (cuz can't find that vid! - it was a really good vid)

looking at your profile, I'm wondering was it YOU who had the original vid up for it?

You just look really familair. Thanks though! That's along what I was thinking after looking at PHOTOS (cuz can't find that vid! - it was a really good vid)

No I don't think I ever posted a video

It might have been Indy Magnoli or Alan Castillo? For some reason I thought I recall one of them doing a tutorial.

Well hopefully they can chime in!

I've seen them with gold leaf, and with painted, and the gold leaf looks better for sure.

But even as I'm google searching, I'm coming up with all replicas and almost no good reference. A LOT of bad paint jobs, ha.

Do you have pics up anywhere? I'd like to see a gold leaf version... the painted ones I'm seeing aren't great.

Happy to oblige...

Grail004.JPG
Grail006.JPG
Grail0066.jpg

Last edited:
With the finish on the grail it's important to remember that unless you are going for a specific version (as seen in a specific scene), there are many slightly different finishes to choose from. I have seen about 10 or 12 of them in the Archives, in the Main House, at LDAC and one in private hands - and the finish is different on each of them. The gold interior is standard but some of them as Magnoli pointed out have their Gold Leaf cracked exposing the terracotta. The gold flecks on the outside of the cup is very busy on some Grails and more sparse on others. The white and grey oxidisation applied also varies - light on some and heavy on others...

The one thing that is pretty standard is that the line created by the top of the gold leaf interior dressing is not straight, its ragged and some of the grails are slightly chipped on the lip as well.

As long as your Grail itself is accurate, terracotta in color and that you use similar Gold Leaf and oxidisation techniques, then I'm sure you will be more than satisfied with the result...

Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 5.44.03 pm.png

Last edited:

Looks like you nailed it! The look matches very well.

KramStaar is right, there were a lot of grails made for the film. ILM made a bunch of them for the scene when the ground splits open when the grail lands on the floor. It took so many attempts to get it to land on the exact spot so it would fall in when the ground splits, that model shop and stage folks took turns throwing the cups to try to get it to land just right. (Otherwise it would stay on one side or the other.) You need a lot of spares for all the potential breakage from the failed attempts.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back