Holowatch build and wip “90s Total Recall”

Coinprop

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So I started talking with a friend here at the RPF about this prop, and it turned out we both loved this prop but have never seen it built .... I just had to build it. So I’m making one for myself and one for him (he can shim in here if he wants to)

There are not many pictures to get a hold of, but those that exist are pretty good so there was a good starting point.

Started it out by just estimating the size, and I had a few found items to scan from, and managed to make an accurate 3D build before I did anything else.
1257DBD2-EA84-41BD-AF9F-CD9B83B3FF04.jpeg

93B1FA73-68B2-4B43-AFB3-89D43D0F8CAF.jpeg

When I did the Modell I noticed that there is quite a big difference in details and size when it comes to the “stunt” watch and the “hero” watch, hero watch is above.

The hero is made of aluminum, rubber and a few resin and steel parts, so I thought that I would go that way. And I might build the stunt after the hero, because I have that Modell as well. Anyway, enough with talk and let’s see some building.

92CFB6E9-4A64-4D7F-BDE1-24AC7EADDBD9.jpeg
CB8BB297-424A-4D04-83BE-FB3BE60CC8AB.jpeg

I started but machining the side bars for the main body out of aluminum. This was done with a few operations on the cnc.

Later I built the main body and projector masters, made mold and pulled a few castings so I had something to test fit the pieces.
F195711E-DAE0-43D9-85F1-5C0A943C8E6B.jpeg

Also made the master for the straps, these had to be real thin at some places, and I was thinking that I would cast these in a black rubber. So I did.
C7F620DA-1C0C-4A36-9790-10C776F23CF8.jpeg

The small aluminum strap arms was done the same way as the sidebars, on the cnc.
8A688058-3BEC-46F4-AAE6-B682D9D634BF.jpeg

Then some test fitting with the other parts, and it turned out great.
A042A1C2-1FB6-487F-8ECA-D1879BB629B9.jpeg

C31C989B-B30E-47E5-9668-46D9A2239FDF.jpeg

At this stage I was halfway, next is to make the small buttons on the main body and on the display part.
Also gathering up all the set screws and other small Nick Nacks.

Here’s an image with most of the parts.

00181AF4-91DC-4BAF-8085-4BC75E0D7BA5.jpeg

18786353-5FB5-43D2-BC93-515319A050E0.jpeg

ECB079A4-D801-41E3-A2E4-875AC0C08DEC.jpeg

FFCD2AFC-DA21-415C-B0DF-84A2AEFF5ED3.jpeg

A shot at the underside of the watch, as I want to do this as a working watch with a red light from the projector, I had to build a battery in to the body and needed a battery lid. And inside had to be made the complicated way because I want to be able to turn the projector 360 deg so that had to work with the LED and the battery inside.
Note: Above picture don’t have a polished surface on the sidebars yet.

D3548366-4133-4FB5-AEC0-2D7850ADF5BB.jpeg

Final test fit, and only missing the Velcro on the strap, a small aluminum panel to cover the “hinge” and the electronics inside. But that will be done when I have the time.
0E8777D3-6E1F-4002-95C5-A7BC2D322C29.jpeg
F6F45AB9-65A9-4D9A-A449-6A6219B81073.jpeg

And me and my friend thought it would be cool to have something engraved at the battery lid, so we came up with this :)

This is a render of the engraving.
63B8612F-081A-4E5F-A83C-03F86761036C.jpeg

Hahaha

E19378B6-FC6D-4828-AC9B-24C862AA310C.jpeg

Thanks for “watch”ing

Last edited:
I just watched this last night for like the 100th time!
I would totally be up for buying one if you decide to revisit the project.

love the movie and your holowatch is amazing!!
Thanks!
What he said!
What I said above! ;)
I just watched this last night for like the 100th time!
I would totally be up for buying one if you decide to revisit the project.
Thanks, I’m at the finishing stages of the build. Just need a few small parts made as the little aluminum plate to go over the hinge. And the led inside the main body. As soon as I’m doing them I’ll post some wip images.
I might do a few more other than the 2 that I started with, I always make a few extra pieces when I build if I should run in to some mishaps, and the aluminum parts was just easier to use up the aluminum plate that I machined.
So I have a few extra parts, I hope I will be able to do a few extra, but we will see how demanding the finishing stages will be!

I never saw the first Total Recall,"shame shame shame", but your replica is magnificent :D.

I am also looking to use soft black plastic or rubber that could be in contact with the skin. Did you know if the rubber holds up well over time? Did you color it yourself or buy it directly from black? and do you know if it is possible to make the part in contact with the mold shiny? I also looked at the polypropylene side, but it's very hard to estimate the rigidity without having it in hands ...

I can't wait to see the rest of your job and still great work :D

I never saw the first Total Recall,"shame shame shame", but your replica is magnificent :D.

I am also looking to use soft black plastic or rubber that could be in contact with the skin. Did you know if the rubber holds up well over time? Did you color it yourself or buy it directly from black? and do you know if it is possible to make the part in contact with the mold shiny? I also looked at the polypropylene side, but it's very hard to estimate the rigidity without having it in hands ...

I can't wait to see the rest of your job and still great work :D
You should definitely check the film!

Regarding skin safe rubber, to be on the safe side you should use “food safe” silicone. It should be available in different hardness so you can choose the flexibility that way.

Vous devriez certainement vérifier le film!

En ce qui concerne le caoutchouc sans danger pour la peau, pour être sûr, vous devez utiliser du silicone «alimentaire». Il doit être disponible en différentes duretés afin que vous puissiez choisir la flexibilité de cette façon.
Thank you very much Coinprop:), yes that's what I thought I would take, but I feel like there is less to choose from compared to "normal" rubber. But i supposed I just haven't looked on the right site yet ;) . Thanks

Took a picture when holding it, just for reference in size.
View attachment 1457747

Anybody else that like this prop, are there any Total Recall fans out there? :)
Yep i,m an old school Total Recall 1990/2012 remake fan. I own quite afew Total Recall 1990 replicas/screen items with the COA. +som from 2012 remake film as well. Let me know if you are planning to make anymore of these as i would lov to buy one off of you ⌚

Yep i,m an old school Total Recall 1990/2012 remake fan. I own quite afew Total Recall 1990 replicas/screen items with the COA. +som from 2012 remake film as well. Let me know if you are planning to make anymore of these as i would lov to buy one off of you ⌚
Awesome.
Yes I had plans making maybe 10, I made a few sets when I did this one, but only built one for myself.
And I had plans to make them during 2024 :) so hopefully very soon.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back