Limited Run Holocron/Kit

nomuse

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Please get your details to me if you are still interested. I've sent out IMs and am editing the list as I go. Remember, it ain't confirmed until you've given me a valid shipping address and/or paid money into PayPal (which automatically feeds me with a shipping address).

(Kanan Jarrus and Glib Ersatz versions shipping now. Pictures soon of the revised Temple A and the final paint job on a Kanan Jarrus, and Cade Bane is also a go at this time.

This is the order thread for a Holocron Kit.

I believe I have achieved the cheapest kit that still looks good and is easy to assemble. This is all laser-cut (and laser-engraved) acrylic, notched for ease of assembly, and all that is needed is a little glue and paint (plus some light sanding and patching to get the outer shell to look its best). This is an open-source, open hardware project and I will be making all my files available to the community.

As part of the design I created an optional lighting module: this is a stand-alone, pre-programmed Arduino-compatible that does a gentle pulse and color shift animation. It recharges automatically from USB and can host a USB thumb drive internally. It is also programmed to react to a capacitance sensor to play a short "talk" animation. The lighting module has surface-mount parts and is only offered fully assembled, programmed and tested.

I've been reluctantly talked into offering completed (painted, etc.) holos. The pictures below are of the prototypes I constructed using the kit as offered.

The KIT is $45. That's a set of laser-cut and laser-engraved acrylic pieces. You supply the glue and paint. Assembly guide is in a set of jpegs at the bottom of this first post.

The LIGHTING MODULE is $35 and comes complete with battery, assembled and programmed.

Shipping cost for both or either is $10 fixed rate within CONUS, overseas fixed-rate $20.

Completely ASSEMBLED and painted Holocrons, with internal electronics, I will have to ask $190. It turns out these ship cheaper than I expected but I'm still going to set this at a fixed $10 for CONUS and (most) overseas destinations.

Preferred payment is via Paypal. Let me know if that's a problem.

List follows, revised as of June 15, 2017

00 ataru72ita -- fully assembled "Stolen A" : ORDER COMPLETE

01 halliwax -- "Stolen A" kit and lighting module; ORDER COMPLETE -- Replacement "Kanan Jarrus" parts sent

02 xcelsior -- "Stolen A" kit and lighting module; ORDER COMPLETE

03 Sharken Beard -- "Stolen C" kit (aka Kanan Jarrus) and lighting module; ORDER COMPLETE

04 scottyk -- "Stolen A" kit and lighting module; ORDER COMPLETE

05 Dr Jedi -- "Stolen A" complete and assembled; ORDER COMPLETE

06 E Williams -- "Stolen A" kit and lighting module; ORDER COMPLETE

07 Timbuktu -- "Stolen B" (Cade Bane) CONFIRMED

08 MilesAtreides --- "Temple A" assembled and "heavily weathered"

09 StarHelix -- "Stolen A" assembled "painted just like the prototype" - ORDER COMPLETE

10 JKR1B -- WITHDREW

11 Darth_Rage -- "Stolen A" kit and lighting module -- WAITING ON DATA

12 cyberblock -- "Stolen A" kit and lighting module -- ORDER COMPLETE -- replacement parts shipped

13 karmajay -- "Stolen C" kit and lighting module -- ORDER COMPLETE

14-15 spardadm -- ON HOLD

16 propfactory -- "Stolen A" complete; ORDER COMPLETE

17 starwarrior -- "Stolen A" assembled -- WAITING ON DATA

18 enaswede -- "Stolen A" kit and lighting module -- ORDER COMPLETE

19 J63 -- kit, stye TBD, and lighting module -- WAITING ON DATA

20-21 Kerberos23 -- "Stolen A" and "Temple A" kits, with lighting modules

22 zeekass -- kit, style TBD, and lighting module -- WAITING ON DATA

23 imdocjoe -- WITHDREW

24 Elbee -- kit, style TBD, and lighting module -- WAITING ON DATA

25 jpro -- kit, style TBD, and lighting module -- WAITING ON DATA

26 Luuke -- TBD -- WAITING ON DATA

27 PsyBear -- TBD; "want to see combo of gallifrey/counselor/imperial"

28 Protoss -- Stolen C kit, NO lighting module -- SHIPPED, PAID

29 100Topher -- Stolen A, "completed kit" -- WAITING ON DATA

30 rictus -- Stolen C; "finished kit" -- CONFIRMED, WAITING ON SHIPPING ARRANGEMENTS

31 Stormshadow -- TBD -- WAITING ON DATA

32 bluecoyote -- Stolen A, assembled -- WAITING ON DATA

33 xwingercrash -- Stolen C, kit -- SHIPPED AND PAID

34 brokechick -- Stolen C, kit -- CONFIRMED

And would people stop saying "completed kit?" It confuses me no end. It is either a KIT, or it is ASSEMBLED.

I am deprecating any versions other than Glib Ersatz ("Stolen A") and Kanan Jarrus ("Stolen C"). I will still cut Cade Bane ("Stolen B") pieces as those are already in the pipeline but unless I get two or more confirmed orders I won't bother updating any of the other files to the latest assembly and electronics. I have not made contact for final confirmation and shipping details with anyone who requested a Temple A style, as that hasn't passed final prototyping and been transferred to production.

Anyhow, here are the versions I'm offering: the "Stolen A" (Glib Ersatz) with laser-engraved "Counselor" diffusion, dark blue "Falcon" circuitry, 2" white diffusion cube and of course the "Stolen" shell.

prodholo_00b.JPG

Deprecated is the "Stolen B" (Cade Bane) which is a slightly closer match to the holocron seen in Clone Wars. This has hand-sanded diffusion (no pattern), no internal laser-cut "circuit" pieces, but does have a kind of tiny outer shell around the 2" inner diffusion cube for a sort of Tesseract effect.

stolen_B.JPG

"Stolen C" (Kanan Jarrus, also known in Star Wars Rebels as Caleb Dume's holo, the holo Ezra gets, the holo with Kenobi's Order 66 warning on it, etc.) This one uses the same shell, but instead of internal laser-etched diffusion has an external laser-etched geometric patterns in the painted portions to match the appearance on the show. It also does not use "circuit" pieces.

kanan_proto_01.JPG

"Temple A" -- this uses a "Temple" shell (painted gold in this example), "Guardian" diffusion, "MapToLuke" circuit, and a standard diffusion cube (not shown in the photograph of the unfinished prototype). I may be doing these in silver instead of gold; check back on this thread when the second prototype is completed and photographed.

temple_gallifrey.JPG

"Temple B" -- also using the "Temple" shell, standard paint job will be hammered silver, "Sentinel" diffusion, "Falcon" in a light blue material (omitted in this picture for clarity), and standard diffusion cube. Deprecated for lack of interest.

temple_jedi.JPG

"Imperial Archives" -- this is using the "Imperial" shell (painted gunmetal in this example), and the special "Death Star" combined diffusion and circuitry layers. Lighting circuit is preset for red or white. Also deprecated for lack of interest -- I am willing to run one off but it is no longer worth it to me to update to the new USB socket et al.

imperial_01.JPG

I'm still willing to do some mix-and-match; I'll run off a circuit layer even for holo designs that don't usually use one, for instance. IM or email me to discuss.

Depending on the model, the kit provides six shell pieces (that need to be glued together, sanded smooth and painted), six diffusion pieces (which assemble into a sub-cube that slides into the larger cube), six circuitry pieces (which glue to the back of the above pieces), five pieces for the internal diffusion cube, five pieces for the internal stand and circuit support, and four supermagnets to allow construction with a removable lid. The major pieces are nominally snap-fit for ease in assembly, but I do admit getting the circuitry lined up and glued down can be fiddly.

The optional circuitry module is an Arduino compatible microcomputer (ATtiny84) driving 4 RGB "neopixel" LEDs to a combined peak of 80ma per color channel, internal lithium polymer battery with a tested lifespan of 7 hours continuous lighting and an externally mounted USB jack for recharging the internal battery. It can also be used as a USB host; there's just enough space for a small thumb drive inside. The board also includes a capacitive sensor which is pre-programmed with a "talk" lighting animation and a standard ICSP header for reprogramming with any ISP. There are also some user-option buttons that can be used "VCR programming" style to adjust some of the parameters but their utility is debatable.

Circuit module is complete, assembled and tested, with Lithium Polymer battery. As of revision #2 of the board (the first shipping) the battery will have to be disconnected for shipping. In normal use, you disable the lighting circuit by turning the Holocron "upside down." (Tilt switch). Charging and USB hosting are not interrupted.

And here's all the assembly instructions, consolidated on one page:

Updated to include Kanan Jarrus instructions

holoins_01.jpg02_diffusion_ins.jpgholoins_02.jpg03_circuit_ins.jpg04_circuit_ins.jpg04_kanan.jpg

On request I'll email the lot to anyone who gets a kit.

Attachments

• stolen_01.JPG
    stolen_01.JPG
    191.6 KB · Views: 243
  • hypercube.JPG
    hypercube.JPG
    163 KB · Views: 243
  • outdoor.JPG
    outdoor.JPG
    158.5 KB · Views: 614
  • stolen_02.JPG
    stolen_02.JPG
    197.6 KB · Views: 484
  • all_holos_diagram.jpg
    all_holos_diagram.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 344
Last edited:
These look very nice; the care and thought that has gone into them is impressive. I particularly like that you've designed an animation effect and tilt switch into the LED board.

Please mark me down for a kit with electronics -- I like the "Stolen B" but before choosing am curious to see the "Stolen A" and other versions.

New circuit boards arrived, first one assembled and tested. Lighting is much improved. I need to cut out another full set in order to assemble a "Stolen A" with all the latest tweaks incorporated.

new_circuit_on.JPGnew_circuit_off.JPG

I got seven and a half hours of operation at full intensity on a single charge. And of course it runs off USB when plugged in.

Here's two photos taken during assembly:

patchinga_01.JPGcircuit_glued.JPG

Outer shell being patched and painted, "circuit" layer being glued to inner shell.

Last edited:
any idea of when you will be collecting payments? depending on when you are collecting, i would be interested in

x1 DIY kit
x1 electronics

the holocron looks beautiful

Hi, it looks great !
Any idea of the shipping costs to France ?
I'd be interested in a kit + electronics depending.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back