Hollywood Auctions

It just really really bothers me that Stan's "Family" is selling his stuff. Don't say that they are selling it "cause they need the money" I'm sure Stan left a lot of cash behind and prob had a ridiculous ins. policy that more than covered his family. Does anybody know why they are literally imo selling a part of Stan?

They said on the show that they are selling the stuff to fund the SWS school. But from watching the episode it seemed that Matt really didn't want to part with the stuff until they mentioned using the money earned to fund the school.

-Chris

They are works of art and even though WE could not fathom selling those pieces if they were in our possession, they have every right do what they want with them.

Material objects like that are held with higher regard by the people who own them...and much less by the people they get passed onto. I'm not saying his family doesn't respect them or admire them, but they did not make Stan who he was. They are merely a representation of the works he created - not his personality.

We see selling them as sacrilegious, but in the end, they are still just mere material objects that we can't take with us into the next life...

They are works of art and even though WE could not fathom selling those pieces if they were in our possession, they have every right do what they want with them.

Material objects like that are held with higher regard by the people who own them...and much less by the people they get passed onto. I'm not saying his family doesn't respect them or admire them, but they did not make Stan who he was. They are merely a representation of the works he created - not his personality.

We see selling them as sacrilegious, but in the end, they are still just mere material objects that we can't take with us into the next life...
Jason ,I could not have put it more eloquently than you already have :)
Bravo Sir!
now could yo be so kind as to send your collection my way?? JK bud LOL
but all joking aside your statement made me ponder about the importance I put on my collection specially certain pieces.I had already gotten rid of several collections in the past due to financial turmoil and it hurt to just think about them being gone but you sir have brought some closure to me just by posting your opinion .it reminded me that there's more important thing than my pred collection. :)

yep, when i saw that show and found out why they were selling his old works, i had a change of heart cause its going to a great cause, not to mention a lot of his pieces will end up in various museums, on tours and have also been sold for charity.

Well put indeed, Jason.

Legacy effects is creating a clean slate for themselves, if only out of respect for the Winston family, but honors him by choosing this name. Stan is and always will be missed.

I wish I had seen this earlier. There is much the public doesn't know about the SWS/ Legacy change. Suffice to say, that yes.. They are being sold for money.. And the personal situation of Stans family have very little to do with his company

It's a shame to see them go, to be sure. But this isn't like they'll be destroyed, I'll bet the owners will have as much respect for them as we do, especially if they do even just the tiniest bit of info-digging about SWS & Stan Winston & realize just what they mean to an entire generation of Sci-Fi movies. Remember as well, they sell these suits to help fund SWS Legacy - Legacy gets more artists to work on more movies - Eventually a new Alien movie emerges & there will be a need to create new Alien suits.

I know that sort-of linear progression doesn't exactly ease our concerns for the fate of the suits, but like i said; as long as the owners are careful & respect them, all they've done is trade hands from their creators, to their fans. Besides, they gotta make room for Predator suits!! :)

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back