Holes in soft PVC mask

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

0patrickjudge0

Is there anyway to fill holes and gaps in a soft pvc mask? It’s an old Halloween mask that someone punched holes in the nose. Initially I was thinking about using that loctite putty or even super glue. but if anyone’s got any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated!

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Darth Lars

Master Member
Welcome to the RPF!

How soft? Is it semi-rigid or almost fabric-like? Are the holes clear cuts or is there anything missing?
Please do post a picture!

Edit: Removed explanation of procedure that wasn't applicable.

Last edited:

0patrickjudge0

How soft? Is it somewhat rigid or almost fabric-like? Are the holes clear cuts or is there anything missing?

I think I would reinforce it with fibreglass form the inside:

I would first straighten anything that has buckled inward. I wouldn't use heat, as heat sometimes can make plastic shrink, and then you'll not be able to close the hole.
Then tape the outside of the hole with clear wide packing tape, and pull the ends together so that there are no gaps - and also no overlaps.

Then reinforce the inside of the hole with a patch of fibreglass: If necessary, make a template of paper to the size of shape of the patch you'll need. You won't need to make it too exact: because the result won't be anyway.
For reinforcing small parts, I buy fibreglass strips, which I cut lengths of, because strips tend to have edges that don't fray.
Mix a tiny amount of slow-curing epoxy and apply a thin layer inside the mask. I would recommend an epoxy with 1:1 ratio, and which where uncured epoxy could be cleaned away with water.
To avoid getting epoxy on my fingers, and because fibreglass weave is flimsy and difficult and frays easily, I tend to tape it with clear packing tape. Then place it where it should be and press firmly through the tape to make sure that the piece of fibreglass weave gets attached properly without bubbles. Epoxy does not need air to cure.
When it has cured, remove all tape. If necessary, apply more layers of epoxy and fibreglass.
How soft? Is it somewhat rigid or almost fabric-like? Are the holes clear cuts or is there anything missing?

I think I would reinforce it with fibreglass form the inside:

I would first straighten anything that has buckled inward. I wouldn't use heat, as heat sometimes can make plastic shrink, and then you'll not be able to close the hole.
Then tape the outside of the hole with clear wide packing tape, and pull the ends together so that there are no gaps - and also no overlaps.

Then reinforce the inside of the hole with a patch of fibreglass: If necessary, make a template of paper to the size of shape of the patch you'll need. You won't need to make it too exact: because the result won't be anyway.
For reinforcing small parts, I buy fibreglass strips, which I cut lengths of, because strips tend to have edges that don't fray.
Mix a tiny amount of slow-curing epoxy and apply a thin layer inside the mask. I would recommend an epoxy with 1:1 ratio, and which where uncured epoxy could be cleaned away with water.
To avoid getting epoxy on my fingers, and because fibreglass weave is flimsy and difficult and frays easily, I tend to tape it with clear packing tape. Then place it where it should be and press firmly through the tape to make sure that the piece of fibreglass weave gets attached properly without bubbles. Epoxy does not need air to cure.
When it has cured, remove all tape. If necessary, apply more layers of epoxy and fibreglass.
EC60477E-80C0-4984-B010-F2B89D91BC16.png

It’s too small “air holes” that were cut in the mask. It’s an old soft pvc / rubber mask. Like the old scream/ghostface masks.

Darth Lars

Master Member
That looks like it needs to be filled. I would use epoxy or epoxy putty. I would avoid auto-body filler putty made with polyester as those doesn't adhere as well as epoxy does. (I think Loctite makes both types)

First clean with alcohol. I would use packing tape behind the hole to prevent the putty from spilling out the other side.
Try to fill the holes perfectly the first time. Epoxy-putties can often be smoothened with a litte bit of water if necessary.
Then repaint the black nose after the putty has cured.

0patrickjudge0

That looks like it needs to be filled. I would use epoxy or epoxy putty. I would avoid auto-body filler putty made with polyester as those doesn't adhere as well as epoxy does. (I think Loctite makes both types)

First clean with alcohol. I would use packing tape behind the hole to prevent the putty from spilling out the other side.
Try to fill the holes perfectly the first time. Epoxy-putties can often be smoothened with a litte bit of water if necessary.
Then repaint the black nose after the putty has cured.
Welcome to the RPF!

How soft? Is it semi-rigid or almost fabric-like? Are the holes clear cuts or is there anything missing?

Edit: Removed explanation of procedure that wasn't applicable.
Thank you so much. There’s a tear in the mouth as well that I’m assuming I can form around with that putty and then sand to for finer detail? Acrylic paint will go over the dried putty as well? I have the “factory” used paint I want to brush over. Thanks again for your help. I want to try and revive this mask badly.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.