Hitchikers Guide: The Guide

KevinD

Sr Member
Just finished this scratchbuild of the Guide from the tv series of The Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy. The model is made from plasticard, perspex and milliput and contains the workings of a digital photo frame to give the different images on screen.
Guide1.jpg

Guide2.jpg

Guide3.jpg

Guide4.jpg

Guide5.jpg

Guide6.jpg

Guide7.jpg

I was strangely hopeing it was going to be the movie book, i really liked that.... This is still really cool though

Hey how did you build the case please I'd love to replicate this. Also did you use an arduino or RP for the system etc. Thanks

Brilliant, what is plasticard though did you mould sheets of it into shape? Also where did you get the plans or dimensions from please assuming it wasnt just a guess from watching the show. If so bravo! I'd like to replicate this with a raspberry pi in for sound and actual function etc. Regards Dave

Hi, Thanks. Plasticard is styrene sheet. I cut it into bits and superglue it into roughly the right shape. To get the effect of the slightly rounded edges (the original might well have been vacuum formed), I used milliput.
As for the dimensions, they were judged from on screen images, but not from the episodes, where oddly, it doesn't feature that much, but from the making of documentary on the dvd boxset, where it crops up a lot!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back