Hitchhiker's Guide Tablet case WIP - Update with PICS

IMFletcher

I just bought an Android tablet and I am making a leather case for it. I was thinking about doing a Hitchhiker's Guide case. I haven't seen a tablet case done this way and although there will be a size difference, I think the cool factor will trump that. It seems that the black binding with red letters (pictured here) is the definitive prop design.
tumblr_lcmc931hFN1qd7wqno1_500.jpg

I am pretty sure this was used in the film but I am interested in seeing screenshots of the one used on the BBC television show. It has been a long time since I have seen it and can't remember what the guide looked like on there. Does anyone have screenshots or photos or even remember and can describe it?

Last edited:
re: Hitchhiker's Guide Tablet case?

The problem is that finding pictures of the prop from the TV series adaptation is ridiculously hard. A Google Image search turned up nada, zip, zilch, nothing.

But think of a scientific calculator crossed with a BlackBerry, it was something along those lines. Screen at the top, about the same aspect ratio as a standard definition TV screen, and some sort of keypad below. It slipped into a large green container with a flip-top lid at the top. The case had the words DON'T PANIC imprinted on it in large, friendly letters. ;)

Better to go with the movie prop as an inspiration, that would look better as the basis for a case for an ebook reader or tablet computer. In fact, there's a company that has already made at least 1 iPad case based on the Guide...

It was to be given away as a prize in an online contest, so I don't know if they ever actually made it available for sale to the public.

And if the quality is sufficiently high (real leather being a must,) I wouldn't mind one of these that can fit my 1st Generation Nook. ;)

Last edited:

Here ya go, the DVD image quality is shocking :unsure

The Book

1faao7.jpg

2exyd7a.jpg

The Case

n2ociv.jpg

2lcwf9t.jpg

Ok, looks like I am going with the Film Version! I will post WIP pic on this thread as I progress. I think I will use tooling leather and acrylic paint. Tool the lettering and the design on the back, then dye and paint.... hhhmmmm....

What do you think, should it look new or aged?

Last edited:
Re: Hitchhiker's Guide Tablet case?

Hi,

These are images of a replica of the original TV prop that I friend of mine has produced for SciFi and Fantasy Modeller magazine. Hope they are of interest.

Attachments

• Hitch-hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Prop.jpg
    Hitch-hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Prop.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 1,398
  • Hitch-hikers Guide to the Galaxy and Cover - Prop.jpg
    Hitch-hikers Guide to the Galaxy and Cover - Prop.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 1,200

I think you will do well with this I can think of two people who would want one. Maybe you may need to think up an iPad version too.

So I started the tooling and construction process. I had to make a hole in the backside to accommodate the camera lens. Now I need to figure out the holes for the buttons on the side, paint and stain and then stitch.

7078575683_63039cd205_c.jpg

7078578327_7b9069016c_c.jpg

Brilliant. Loved the original BBCs TV series, not so keen on the film though.

Brilliant. Loved the original BBCs TV series, not so keen on the film though.

Same here. I'm sure I'd feel differently if they had just paid Bill Murray what he wanted to put him in the part of Ford Prefect.

So here it is ALMOST complete. I have to paint the thumb logo on the back and paint the name on the spine. It's funny.... Tooling the leather isn't half as bad as hand painting the watered down acrylic paint! But I think it's probably better than a stencil and an airbrush...

6936614556_da697744e9_c.jpg

The lettering needs about 2 more coats so you win't see brush strokes...

6936615716_fac9cde245_c.jpg

The RPF in the GUIDE!!

The last steps will be forming the inside leather to the shape of the tablet edges, burnishing the edges and putting a gloss over it. Not sure yet about aging it.....

Hello there. I was looking through the RPF for something and came across this replica that your friend made. Would he make any more per chance..? I've bene dying to get my hands on one of the TV series Guides for years and years. Thanks ever so much.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back