Deprecated Highlander idealized Ramirez‘ Masamune katana replica

vadermania

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
UPDATE from Jan. 04, 2022

This is to inform you that I will not produce any Highlander Ramirez‘ Masamune katana replicas that are made of direct castings of screen-used Highlander swords or components of such, nor are associated with the movie title or character names. The reason for that are licensing issues.

You are welcome to PM me for further details.

Tom

UPDATE from Dec. 24, 2021

It looks like some of you are more interested in an idealized, but still screen-accurate rendition of the Ramirez Masamune katana. I will therefore try to create a prototype beginning of next year.

Wish you all a Merry Christmas!

Tom

UPDATE from Dec. 15, 2021

Locating screen-accurate blades is much more difficult than I originally thought. The stainless steel blades that I used on the Mentor‘s Katana are no longer available unfortunately. For custom-made blades I need at least 30 preorders to keep the price for a replica as low as possible. There are spare John Lee blades which come with habaki and saya, but they are nowhere near screen-accurate.

So at the moment I feel the run is not going to happen. Thanks a lot for your interest, your posts and comments, Merry Christmas to everyone,

Tom

UPDATE from Dec. 12, 2021

Thanks for your interest - so far we have

- Anakin Starkiller (preferably tsuka only)
- James Fett (preferably in kit form)
- Diego86 (preferably tsuka, tsuba, habaki only)
- userd1402
- ECOLI (preferably in kit form)
- Shinki-Ro
- Seneca
- Knightmare

Anyone here interested in a replica of Ramirez‘ Masamune katana from the first Highlander movie? Depending on interest, I’m planning to produce a run of replicas of the hero katana using a casting of a screen used tsuka, a painted aluminum tsuba and habaki and a commercially available katana blade (John Lee or similar). The final product should look like this:
EDD12C56-E94E-4CA3-B046-D40F2AA5190F.jpeg

Just let me know what you think. Final price depends on the number of swords produced, my guess is somewhere between 400 - 600 Euros plus shipping.

Last edited:
At the moment I‘m struggling to find suitable blades that are close to the screen used ones (those were stainless steel). I‘ll see what I can do if there is enough interest (I need at least 10-15 orders before I start making them, otherwise those replicas would get too expensive per single sword).

I have wanted a screen accurate H1 tsuka for a long time, for display, but have no desire to own a full sword.
Any chance you would do just the cast dragon?

Also for me, who live overseas, option “tsuka+tsuba+habaki only” would be more convenient, to buy then the blade here. This would reduce both shipping and (especially) import costs.. Thanks!

A kit would be a sweet idea so we can decide on a blade. Also weather you want to add Seppas to either side of the handguard as the original had none but many prefer them.

I know IrishAmericanlad had his handguards water cut I think, maybe. Does that sound right?

I will take one no matter how it is offered.

How does one produce a resin tsuka which fits blade tangs that are varying in size? The replica Highlander Ramirez katanas that I have made in the past (the Mentor‘s katana) had it‘s stainless steel blade tangs cast into the resin of the tsuka. That is my plan for the new katanas, too.

The tsubas of the screen used swords are made of aluminum and were painted in a bronze/brass tone. Some time ago I made a plastic tsuba, which I have planned to take to a local foundry to produce aluminum castings.

The habakis on the hero swords came with the stainless steel blades and were painted with the same color. The stunt swords had aluminum blades and no habakis, the lower part of the blades were painted to look like a habaki. See here:
991165CA-0313-44AB-8592-D0650E4E5A3F.jpeg

Last edited:
You really have to take into account that the screen used hero Ramirez katanas didn‘t look very „heroic“ when viewed in close-up. The resin tsukas feature many small air bubbles and pockets, the Chinese lion head looks like it was sculpted in a rush, all of them except one have a simple brass screw as a peg. The painted aluminum tsuba has many casting imperfections and is rattling on the blade, the stainless steel blade does not even have an etched hamon.
E742B0A0-E426-4522-B04D-5490ACBB7A6B.jpeg

On the pic above, you can see very well what I‘m talking about.

Last edited:
If you're going for screen accuracy, then I understand you wanting to go with painted aluminum and casting the handle in resin. However that means that no matter what blade you use, these will not be "combat ready"/mat cutting ready as the resin will crack and of course, aluminum is too soft. I was hoping for more of what Daryl used to make but of course, one can't get them from him for various reasons. If you go with screen accuracy for materials then I'm afraid I'm out. Good luck with your run though. It's very nice of you to offer this replica.

Last edited:
If you're going for screen accuracy, then I understand you wanting to go with painted aluminum and casting the handle in resin. However that means that no matter what blade you use, these will not be "combat ready"/mat cutting ready as the resin will crack and of course, aluminum is too soft. I was hoping for more of what Daryl used to make but of course, one can't get them from him for various reasons. If you go with screen accuracy for materials then I'm afraid I'm out. Good luck with your run though. It's very nice of you to offer this replica.
I was wondering why is that ? Heard of some horror stories paid then not getting the sword .

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back