My Highlander Duncan katana project

I would say I almost partially got regrets as I started carving deeper, thinking you getting trouble, these were a crazy **** to carve, but I was thinking about getting it more naturalistic and well worked.
But I admit if it would be right now, I would do simplier teeth design saving half of the carving time.

Some years ago(one-two decades, at this time I was in knifemaking hobby) it was possible to get it, people didn't want the white core, only colored outer part, cores were sold for low price.
Now, most of chinese buy it and make sculting from it, as the elephant ivory has got very strong restrictions since 2015 2016.

finally, after hours and hours, the other side is finished, the ring is also finished, patinated, I made a very slight patina on the ivory too.and yes, Mammoth is polite name for "ruined ugly existing item, pre 1947" the handle was a awful african carving remain.
Here you can see design improvement from bottom to top.
Bottom is just cast and polished, most of engravings are just lines, no relief carving.
Middle is cast and all has been cleaned by carving, relief and rounded edges instead of just lines, and design improved.
Top has full relief carving.
3 tetes.png

Now I have to find what to make the handle, saw this, 31cm, 7cm base, cracks are probably superficial and carving is horrible...
So I 'm very tempted...
487469-main-5d29fe0d07b28.jpg

Last edited:
I made some mods on the marto, adding material here and there, then made a cast and complete new engraving.
I changed the middle ring design, the clouds design too, and front area is modified too, I like the new design better.
The front ring has same design as the middle ring.
manche marto copie.png

And here is a comparative design I am thinking about.
actual handle is on middle.
Bottom is ensuite design rings, top is ensuite design ring, but completely ivory carving.
My favorite is top one, then, bottom one.
It would be possible to carve thehandle from several ivory pieces, I have many old ivorybackgammon chips I can use them to make the fuchi, front and rear rings.
5 choix.png

I think I will also remove the fake ivory fitting on the front, in the beginning, the original part was a solid silver dagger sheat, and the ferrule was the bottom, they cut the design to make it as a handle, but the design is nonsense.

Capture d’écran 2019-07-11 à 12.37.31.png

Last edited:
VERY interesting!!!

I had no idea the history of where the design for Duncan's hilt came from.

For what it's worth, I like the idea of a (as much as possible), solid piece hilt rather than one built from many pieces. Also, while it looks neat, I think the darker color may take away from the visual of the carvings.

Have you considered grinding up cow, deer, etc bone into a powder then mixing it with resin? you could get pretty close to a bone handle in look and feel. it would be pretty durable too.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back