Highlander 1986

nick daring

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I saw this movie for the first time and I'm really torn on the experience.

There's a ton of cheesy acting, awkward editing, poor fight coreography, weird pacing at at times and badly written dialogue but the overall approach and broad concepts and visual ideas are just so much fun.

It feels like an 80's cyberpunk film without any of the "cyber". Swordpunk?

In fact I noticed that the overall story design is a reverse Terminator 1. Two warriors from the PAST battle in the present for the fate of the world. Conner and Kurgan even steal their looks from Kyle Reese with his trenchcoat and sneakers and Terminator's Punk Rock Frankenstein thing.

I'm usually not a fan of remakes but I think this movie could be done in an amazing fashion if handled by modern creators. The original just missed the mark on too many opportunities for me. So close yet so far I guess.

I guess I just wish I had seen it when I was 14 instead of 31.

Anyway, I'd love to hear others opinions on this geek classic.

Nick

Last edited:
Sean Connery as The Spainard actually made me not even think twice about Sean Connery as Captain Ramius.

Highlander is awesome. Bonny Heather. <snif>

Cool concept, flawed execution. You're right -- you should've seen it at 14. That's when I saw it and, in my mind, it's "AWESOME!!!" But rewatching it....yeah....it's lacking in several parts.

Not least of which is the casting of a Frenchman (by descent, anyway) in the role of a Scot, and a Scot in the role of an Egyptian with a Spanish name.

By the way, do NOT watch any of the sequels. Seriously. I suppose if you HAVE to, you could watch #3. Or you could watch the series (which I never did, really), which apparently picks up right after the first film. But I heard it had a lousy conclusion, and its movies were lousy too.

I remember first seeing it on a station out of Cleveland back in the 90s when our cable carried the channel and i was like what the heck is this? And it's a great 80s movie. I wish they'd bring Lambert back for another spin since there are centuries of adventures to go. If you have to watch the sequel with both of the Highlanders in it. it's the next to the last one (the source is the last one and oh man is it a pile of crap).

I was practically raised on that movie and it's still AWESOME!!!! to me today. Bought the DVD a few months ago, actually so it's pretty fresh in my mind. Love every minute of it.

To me the Queen soundtrack helps. I like Chris Lambert in all his stuff and probably wouldn't have heard of him if not for this and him as tarzan.

Not least of which is the casting of a Frenchman (by descent, anyway) in the role of a Scot, and a Scot in the role of an Egyptian with a Spanish name.

They actually address this in this shining gem of cinema when Garfield says: "You talk funny, Nash. Where're you from?" and the Highlander responds: "Lots of different places." which is more than The Hunt for Red October did.

Highlander is awesome. The sequels are mediocre at best (#3) horrible at worst (#2 or #5, take your pick.)

The series has some really great ideas and episodes, but really fell flat on its face towards the end.

Actually Lambert is Swiss, his dad was a diplomat (i've watched it with the commentary on and read the bios on the disc too many times) which gives him that odd accent IRL.

I watched the commentary too. Some interesting facts concerning the production.

I'm also afraid a remake might not work either. It's weird eighties vibe is also a major part of the film's charm I think.

If the forsensic scientist love story just made a little more sense I could look past a lot more stuff. She is just so poorly handled and really shoehorned into the story.

The story needs a Sarah Conner to fire on all cylinders.

I could make a huge wish list of little things I wish they had done slightly differently.

Can't stop thinking about that damn movie. I guess that means I like it dispite it's flaws. Damn. :)

Nick

They actually address this in this shining gem of cinema when Garfield says: "You talk funny, Nash. Where're you from?" and the Highlander responds: "Lots of different places." which is more than The Hunt for Red October did.

Yes, but originally he's supposed to be from Scotland. His accent while he's still figuring out that he's an immortal is still pretty godawful as far as faux Scots accents go.

In a film course once, there was an assignment to do a presentation on one of the best movies in history (or something like that). My friend did Sunset Boulevard. A couple of other friends teamed up and did Highlander.

It is neat and all, but...really? :lol

One thing that gets me about the film is the "only one" thing. They're all compelled to meet up and kill each other by...lore. They're doing it because that's what they've always been told has to happen. What if they just didn't do that? There's no outside force making them. It's implausible that at least some immortals wouldn't just blow it off.

Highlander is flawed beyond repair...and it works as it is.

They failed time and again at making a simple sequel, and a television program. This should be a sign. A sign printed in black "Helvetica Bold" to ensure it's clarity.

Highlander: Good
More Highlander: Bad

One thing that gets me about the film is the "only one" thing. They're all compelled to meet up and kill each other by...lore. They're doing it because that's what they've always been told has to happen. What if they just didn't do that? There's no outside force making them. It's implausible that at least some immortals wouldn't just blow it off.

The Quickening draws them together.

That's the reasoning I've always used, though I'm not sure if it was ever implicitly stated. The vagueness of the whole thing ads to it's mystique. Like we're glimpsing the last moments of a race we know nothing about, and never will.

That doesn't explain it really, because if you remember, in the Scottish battle, Connor didn't know he was immortal, yet.

Can't stop thinking about that damn movie. I guess that means I like it dispite it's flaws. Damn. :)

Nick

I´m so damn happy I saw that movie when I was 15 :lol:lol:lol

You know that Mulcahy was a video clip director, and I think that really, really shows, both in a good and a bad way. The visuals, the visuals...

For me "Highlander" is one of those feelgood movies that I put in when I need something uplifting. Not that I find people chopping each other´s heads of uplifting, but the sound of clashing blades :p

They're all compelled to meet up and kill each other by...lore.

Well, yeah, that, and the fact they get all the power and knowledge and attributes and whatnot of the guy they kill when they get the lightning flash and Queen score. If you buy these cats are all immortal, you have to buy that somebody somewhere once accidentally lopped off another immortal's head and became incrementally more awesome in doing so and decided to keep doing it.

Sort of explains The Kurgan, actually.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back