HIC white glue issue

zook250

Hey guys,

i have been trying to get my carbonite effect with white glue as a bunch of you have done. i am getting undesireable effects where the glue meets the rubber Han body cast. the white glue will not adhere to the rubber. it curls up as it dries. is there a rubber primer that i can use? i am in construction and i know that we use a primer to apply blue skin to surfaces. any help would be appreciated.

thanks
curt

I didn't use a rubber body cast, (mine is resin), but I used epoxy putty around the perimeter of the body & feet after stapling/hot gluing the body & feet down. Worked out pretty good...

Don't know if that helps, but I hope so. :)

I've used TONS of the little store bought tubes, (Quiksteel, Ace Epoxy Putty, etc.), over the last year for various projects, (my Evil Dead chainsaw hand/arm, for instance). It really got to be a hassle to use it cause' tracking down tubes of this stuff in any volume was SPENDY.

SO, I wound up purchasing a 6 lb. kit of 'All-Fix' a little while ago,("Amazon.com: All-Fix Epoxy Putty 6 Pound Unit - 2 Quart Set - Underwater Epoxy - All Fix By Cir-Cut Corporation - The All Purpose Epoxy Repair Material - Home - Arts & Crafts - Jewelry - 1001 Uses !: Arts, Crafts & Sewing").

I love this stuff. It's a bit more pliable than the tubes & obviously there's much more volume to work with, (it does take a bit more effort to get the stuff OUT of the tubs & kneaded but the final product is great). I think I've used about half of it, so far, in aspects of my HIC build. :) Unlike the tubes of the other stuff though, I'm using gloves with this stuff as there seems to be a LOT of warnings relating to it on the documentation & such. Basically, I used to work the tubes of putty with my bare hands & with this stuff I use gloves, (a couple pairs came with the 'All-Fix' kit).

Anyway, I think it's a good product. Using a bit of water to moisten the gloves & putty as you're going along gives it a smooth, poured-on sort of look.

Hope that's helpful. :)

{Also, I should mention that the cure time on this stuff is longer than the tubes, which usually cure in about 5 minutes. This stuff cures to hard in about 1-2 hrs & has a full cure time of 12-24 hours.}

What epoxy did you use?

Last edited:
i used bondo as well to blend the rubber cast to the mdf , it doesnt work so well either. seems glue i have tried does not want to bond to the rubber. i even tried 3m contact cement, it just peels off when it dries. i have thought about making holes in the rubber to allow the glue to bond to the mdf underneath the cast and form an anchor of sorts for the glue to bond to on the top.

im going to try gorilla glue and see if that will help form a tacky base that the white glue can adhere to. the other option would be to use some kind of construction butel to adhere to the rubber. it will never dry, it will be pliable until the end of time.

i used tightbond wood glue instead of elmers white glue and it didn't have that problem. it's the big jug at home depot. it's light yellow in color, orangey when it's drying

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back