HIC side panel tutorial...

Thanks darthchromer and kurtyboy! Couldn't have done it without ya!

Here are finished pics of panels 2-8. These are about as complete as I can get. I've added a few screws here and there after pouring over several photos of the actual HIC.

Another option is to add small different colored stickers at different locations on some panels. I've yet to source these stickers and research if they were on the panels is ESB and ROTJ.

NOTE: I'm missing a round greeblie from the lower middle of panel #4. I'm also missing one of the small "nipple" greeblies on the middle top of panel #2. I'll get these from darthchromer one of these days and get them added.

I've attached panels 2-8 to the HIC and I've included a couple pics. These things are so hard to photograph, especially in a dark Home Theater. :unsure

Work is beginning on the Hero panel #1....:thumbsup

thanks

brad

***I just realized I forgot to add kurtyboy's awesome machined "U" clips to panel #2... :confused

BTW, kurtyboy's "U" clips are really great and they all come with super accurate screws. He's really put in the time and research to get these just right. You may not think this is much of an addition to your side panels, but it really helps add that authenticity that only metal can bring. Highly recommended! :thumbsup

brad

Another sparklingly nice panel!

BTW, the U clips was a one time only run so those who jumped on should be pleased with themselves ;)

Well, Han is officially complete in all is frozen glory.

I finished up the Hero panel this week. It definitely took the longest to complete of all the panels. Just so much going on in there!

A few notes:

The off white plexi-glass is a booger to work with. It's very brittle making it hard to cut without shattering it. I originally had some thinner stuff (about 1/8") but found some thicker (about 1/4") at a local glass shop. I cut it with a dremel tool when I could, and scored it with a razor blade knife for the longer, straighter cuts.

All of darthchromer's greeblies worked great. Where I could I ordered his chromed pieces and the others that he didn't offer I just painted. His light kit is also amazing. It fits into the appropriate panel openings perfectly, and comes pre-painted where needed and ready to go. Top notch.

The thing that took me the longest to figure out was the little control knob for the three lighting options. I was able to figure out a way to secure it to the panel with the supplied nut and it's very sturdy and solid.

All in all a really fun project. I've never fancied my self a prop builder, but I learned a lot from this project. :thumbsup

Again, a special thanks goes to darthchromer, Vos, kurtyboy, and anybody else who answered all my dumb questions during this project! :)

brad

Very cool! Been looking for one of these threads.

Hope to start on mine soon. I actually saw the real HIC at the LFL archives last week. I got as much info as my brain would absorb on it. :thumbsup

Look superb Brad, really nice job, this is a big prop to cut your teeth on. It covers a huge range of elements. Glad the kit did not give you too much trouble. Whats next?

Brad,

Thanks for this excellent thread! As I'm starting to prep for my own HIC build, this has been really useful!

I may have missed it, but is yours specifically meant to be a ROTJ build? I have to admit that I am not really well versed on the differences between the ESB and ROTJ versions of this prop, but when re-watching ESB specifically for reference for my build I noticed that the top panel on Han's right (the one opposite the hero panel) also has an illuminated green section and not the greeblies like you have on yours.

The panel does not appear to have the other red and white LEDs that the hero does, but the green screen area is definitely lit and blinking. You can see right after the carbonite freezing scene when Luke first arrives at Bespin and the troopers & Fett are marching with the floating HIC. Is this just an ESB vs ROTJ difference?

Brad,

Thanks for this excellent thread! As I'm starting to prep for my own HIC build, this has been really useful!

I may have missed it, but is yours specifically meant to be a ROTJ build? I have to admit that I am not really well versed on the differences between the ESB and ROTJ versions of this prop, but when re-watching ESB specifically for reference for my build I noticed that the top panel on Han's right (the one opposite the hero panel) also has an illuminated green section and not the greeblies like you have on yours.

The panel does not appear to have the other red and white LEDs that the hero does, but the green screen area is definitely lit and blinking. You can see right after the carbonite freezing scene when Luke first arrives at Bespin and the troopers & Fett are marching with the floating HIC. Is this just an ESB vs ROTJ difference?

hi Skruffy,

Thanks for the kind words.

I'll defer to kurtyboy on this one, but I think I read in one of his threads that the jury's still kinda out on all that. :)

I certainly remember seeing what you're talking about. I scoured reference pics from the HIC Yahoo club and other pics here and online and determined that this panel didn't really light up. Not to say that's the right way, or only way, to go.

Having said that, I think it'd be cool to do a fancier panel in that #5 spot, (top left opposite the #1 HERO panel)...I could see the appeal of that for sure! :thumbsup

I would say my HIC leans more towards an ESB look, due to a difference in color between the box vs. the "face" panel. To my eye, in the ESB scenes, there is quite a bit of color difference. If you look at many of the reference shots of the HIC from exhibits, etc it looks to be all one basic color.

I know how hard mine is to photograph though, so all pics of this thing are hard to go by. :)

Good luck with your build, it's a really fun project!

brad

Look superb Brad, really nice job, this is a big prop to cut your teeth on. It covers a huge range of elements. Glad the kit did not give you too much trouble. Whats next?

thanks again DC,

My next project is building a mannequin for my 1:1 Boba Fett! :thumbsup

I'll post pics of Fett and his "bounty" when finished!

brad

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back