HIC Build

Farlowmag

Hello everyone. This is my first attempt at building a prop, or anything this size. I am not very good at building anything outside of miniatures. The power tools I am using are owned by wife and were given to her by my father over the last 15 years as gifts. I am used to pick things up and put them down.

I will post some photos soon, but right now I have the box built, frame around it and the front board in. I have some questions for those that have done this before:
1) The boards that Volvo panels attach to, are they screwed on or glued to cover the openings?
2) I glued and screwed my front panel. Do I need to seal the seam around it? Will the Elmer’s glue I used for carbonite leak under the frame?
3) Has anyone used the MONCAL end inserts? If so, how did you mount them.
4) I have seen people use bondo and others use wood filler. Either work? or is one heavliy recommended over the other one?
5) Is it recommended to fill the back of the Han Solo with expandable foam?

Thanks for the help.

Gerrit

I would highly recommend going Bondo across the board, in place of wood filler and glue. It dries nice and hard, and is easy to sand smooth.

IMG_2311.JPG
IMG_2456.JPG
IMG_2469.JPG
IMG_2482.JPG

Thanks for the link. My moncal buckets do not slide in from the outside. The holes are too small. I may expand them or see about mounting them from the inside. Something I need to stare at for a little bit. I got more done over the last few days. The sides are done and I added some supports inside. Does get heavy as you add items.
IMG_2486.JPG
IMG_2507.JPG

I put Han on it just to see what it looked like. Need to go buy some bondo so I can start filling some holes.
IMG_2513.JPG
IMG_2519.JPG

Have you decided on how you are going to replicate the surface? I've seen guys use carpenters glue. Is that what your thinking?

Yes. The box is from Zenix.

I was thinking of the Elmers glue. I am still researching a non-toxic filler for the screw holes and seams. I think Bondo does make one for wood.

No going back now if they are. I expanded the holes and mounted them from the outside. I plan on sanding them down a little and then bondo over them.

Pretty sure the buckets are mounted from the inside.

No going back now if they are. I expanded the holes and mounted them from the outside. I plan on sanding them down a little and then bondo over them.

I'm pretty sure on the original MC build that the contour of the holes were routed down by about 1/8" and then the plugs were fitted from the outside like you did .. then bondoed seemless and foamed from the inside to strengthen them! ;)

I bought those buckets from Moncal about a year ago. I if I recall, they took a while to be delivered, but I was slowly buying all the parts. I am currently gluing them in now.

I bought those buckets from Moncal about a year ago. I if I recall, they took a while to be delivered, but I was slowly buying all the parts. I am currently gluing them in now.

Did you get the right answer do they belong on the inside or out?

I am going with from the outside in. I have seen it done in another build. I also, in the link provided, see some reference photos where the edges are curved and I would not get that by mounting on the inside. I just glued in the last one this evening. I will put some foam around the inside this weekend. Then some filler.
http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=37129&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

that is a awesome thread, thanks for sharing. do you know what they mean when they said "acrylic wash" are they just watering down acrylics or is there a actual acrylic wash?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back